#621 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

Yeah, I had the same thought.

I also read that this poll was a whopping 500ish people. Seems like the + or - 5% is a bit optimistic.

This.. and there are the die hard fans who don't care.  

The one good point is that Trump now has a detailed set of talking points courtesy of the FBI, both initial decision and testimony before Congress.

I mean, saying that "she's not a criminal, she's just grossly incompetent, and if she worked for me I would have fired her" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement

• MightyP likes this

#622 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:14 AM

Untold stories...

Last night we had a pursuit, spiked the car, and conducted a felony stop in an apartment complex. Driver wasn't responding to commands. I flanked with a rifle and tried to ascertain his responsiveness by chunking rocks at his window. We bean bagged both driver side windows. I led the stack up to the car, and when I got to the habeus grabbus part, noticed he was legitimately unresponsive, cold to the touch, and stiff almost like rigor. But not dead. Immediately switched gears to a medical call, got him help, and all was good. He was in diabetic shock. He didn't get shot, and we probably saved his life.

Being in an apartment complex, bystanders were everywhere filming. I imagine to the average civilian, seeing the cops felony stop a car, shoot out the windows, etc is pretty impressive and film worthy. But afterward "nothing happened". Everyone went home, and the guy wasn't even arrested. He was sent to the hospital with us joking around with him and wishing him well. We all went from ramped up to compassionate in a snap. Video on probably 20 phones and the story will never be told because it had a positive outcome. I've searched to see if it's been uploaded anywhere and I can't find it. Just another night of the police doing everything we can, using every tool we have, and coming up with unconventional tactics to make sure everyone including the suspected bad guy stays safe, forgotten and ignored by most.

Edited by PSDRyan, 14 July 2016 - 07:15 AM.

• Sourdough, Psybain, mangeface and 7 others like this

#623 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Untold stories...

Last night we had a pursuit, spiked the car, and conducted a felony stop in an apartment complex. Driver wasn't responding to commands. I flanked with a rifle and tried to ascertain his responsiveness by chunking rocks at his window. We bean bagged both driver side windows. I led the stack up to the car, and when I got to the habeus grabbus part, noticed he was legitimately unresponsive, cold to the touch, and stiff almost like rigor. But not dead. Immediately switched gears to a medical call, got him help, and all was good. He was in diabetic shock. He didn't get shot, and we probably saved his life.

Being in an apartment complex, bystanders were everywhere filming. I imagine to the average civilian, seeing the cops felony stop a car, shoot out the windows, etc is pretty impressive and film worthy. But afterward "nothing happened". Everyone went home, and the guy wasn't even arrested. He was sent to the hospital with us joking around with him and wishing him well. We all went from ramped up to compassionate in a snap. Video on probably 20 phones and the story will never be told because it had a positive outcome. I've searched to see if it's been uploaded anywhere and I can't find it. Just another night of the police doing everything we can, using every tool we have, and coming up with unconventional tactics to make sure everyone including the suspected bad guy stays safe, forgotten and ignored by most.

Great story, and great example.

Of course he'll probably sue the dept for shooting out his windows, with the way these things always seem to end up.  Remember no good deed goes unpunished.

#624 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

With current events, my vent is pretty insignificant, but here it is anyways...

So I had a coupon for Duplicolor Bed Armor bedliner, the clown at Advance Auto said it was their best stuff. I bought a bunch, and was ready to get to work.

I then spent the last three days stripping, sanding, prepping, and painting my front and rear steel bumpers for my Jeep. After 25+ hours of work, the new coating is worthless. I should've read more online reviews. I'm beyond frustrated. I should have used the Rusteloum stuff I've used before.

Now I don't know what to do because have zero desire to do it all again and don't think I can afford to have it professionally done at this point since I just sunk money into a lift, tires, and wheels.

Ugh.

#625 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

@PSDRyan, Sounds like you guys did awesome. But you're right, diabetic shock isn't flashy and these people aren't going to get their 15 min of fame from it. Hell, there are probably people in the apartment bldg congratulating themselves for their "good work" keeping the brutal police in check. In any case, glad it worked out and thank you for what you do.

Stay safe.
  • littleninja likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#626 littleninja

littleninja

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

Reading the headline '28 redacted pages of 9-11 report released' and having your reaction be.....

WTF is the current administration hoping to sweep under the rug with THIS distraction?

Seems like every time they're up to some shit, they create a diversion with another issue..........

• EMSWxSAR and jvandivere like this

n0Q3KCI.png?1

#627 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

One of those days..

Stopped for gas this morning, at a station that automatically prints the receipt (which I almost never want).  

I recorded my stop in Fuelly, waited for the receipt, then went over to the trash can, where I usually throw my crumpled up receipt, and instead threw my iPhone in, and kept the receipt.

Few miles down the road I noticed my car had no bluetooth connection, and couldn't find my phone anywhere... 

Thankfully a truck driver had stopped in, and saw me do it, and decided to fish my phone out of the trash can, expecting I'd be back for it.

Apparently I'm not getting enough sleep... still have that ^$%^# receipt in my cupholder.

Edited by mackguy, 18 July 2016 - 08:08 AM.

• littleninja and jvandivere like this

#628 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

Dang Mondays...
  • mackguy likes this

#629 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:12 AM

Dang Mondays...

Indeed

#630 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

The only rant I have for today is it's the last of a 20 day vacation. And I "saved" most of my outdoor work for today. Guess I should've seen this coming.

Edited by pira114, 18 July 2016 - 10:38 AM.

• littleninja likes this

#631 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

On a more serious note, we have a row of flags in front of one of the buildings here.. USA, Sweden (Swedish company), Canada, Mexico (we are North American HQ), and NC.

I noticed the flags today were at half staff.  But that got me thinking... now I can barely remember them being at full staff. What's worse, I don't know why they're at half... Residual from Dallas?  Nice? Baton Rouge?

Just permanently at half staff because the world's gone to Hell in a handbasket (except they forgot the basket)?

This is getting old, and I have a bad feeling it will get worse before it gets better.

#632 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:50 AM

On a more serious note, we have a row of flags in front of one of the buildings here.. USA, Sweden (Swedish company), Canada, Mexico (we are North American HQ), and NC.

I noticed the flags today were at half staff.  But that got me thinking... now I can barely remember them being at full staff. What's worse, I don't know why they're at half... Residual from Dallas?  Nice? Baton Rouge?

Just permanently at half staff because the world's gone to Hell in a handbasket (except they forgot the basket)?

This is getting old, and I have a bad feeling it will get worse before it gets better.

There are a few websites that give details on when and why we're at half mast.

http://halfstaff.org/

ITSSignature2.png

#633 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

The simple fact that someone thought this was necessary and a worthwhile use of time for Wing Safety and PA.

• littleninja likes this

ITSSignature2.png

#634 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

There are a few websites that give details on when and why we're at half mast.

http://halfstaff.org/

That's pretty cool.

I've looked it up in the past.  Today it just hit me that there's too much going on (I mean, that hit me a while ago, but from a flag standpoint, pinpointing something wasn't obvious)

• littleninja likes this

#635 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

The simple fact that someone thought this was necessary and a worthwhile use of time for Wing Safety and PA.

The fact that it might have BEEN necessary is even scarier
  • stoddy9311 and MightyP like this

#636 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

I HATE CARS!

2 weeks ago my BMW shredded a serpentine belt, that belt snapped around under my hood and wrapped up against the spindle of a drive pulley whipping it around under my hood like a samurai slashing hoses and other components.  My coolant expansion tank was shattered, coolant lines cut and even parts of the fan and radiator took damage.  The car quickly over heated but thankfully I had just pulled into my subdivision and was able to limp it home.  I had to rent a car for 3 days while my emergency parts arrived in the mail.

Last week I took my family on a week long vacation; a tour around Michigan with 3 primary destinations in mind.  We took my wife's newer Subaru because it offers more space than my newly repaired BMW.  200+ miles into our drive and in the middle of nowhere (imagine the banjo scene from Deliverance) the Subaru made this horrible racket and every light and buzzer went off then the car seized and we were forced to pull to the side of the road.  Easily 30 minutes drive from civilization, or several hours of walking in 90+ degree weather I was forced to call for a tow truck knowing it was going to cost a mint.  With dwindling light I found that the coolant and oil had both been purged from the system, no idea why... it had been checked before we left the house.  While waiting an hour for a tow I went over a game plan with my family, gave one firearm to my wife, and kept the large caliber firearm with myself we were preparing for the worst because we had to be split up as they could not fit the 4 of us in one tow vehicle.  My backpack had my medical pouch and some provisions, we each had firearms but in separate vehicles.  All went well and the tow truck drivers, while entertaining were as nice as can be.

With the Subaru now stranded 4 hours from my house we went over the rest of our vacation, cancelled the hotel stays we could but rented a car for the ones we couldn't hoping to minimize our loses.  

Now 5 days later the Subaru still sits in a repair shop with no expected completion date because their repair technicians are both hospitalized, one with a stomach flu the other with welding flash (I think that's what it's called).  Today we determine if we give up on the nice local repair shop and take it to a dealer.

Last night while driving home from work my BMW fails me again.  I believe it to be a broken U-Joint in an output shaft that I don't have the tools to repair.... down again to ZERO working cars in our family.

This past week we have the cost of 2 rental cars for a week, 2 hotel rooms we never got a chance to use, towing all over Michigan and the repairs on both vehicles.... If I had to put a dollar value on this past week it would be close to $6,000.00.

And I still need to buy ammo for a fun filled shooting weekend with a relative from Germany who has never shot and put aside 2 days of his month long vacation just to go shooting.

GAR!!!!!

Edited by DStevenson, 28 July 2016 - 05:53 AM.

• pira114 likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#637 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:05 AM

Sounds like you should have gotten a Ford ;)  I accidentally ended up about 20,000 miles overdue for an oil change once because I was doing a bunch of running around up and down the East Coast and completely forgot to schedule an appointment; my mechanic was flabbergasted that I could let it go like that but there didn't seem to be any problems.

My rant for today is about darn AC's. On Saturday it started getting warm in the house so we checked and found the breakers for the AC kept tripping. Sunday, being a Sunday, meant nobody that does service was answering the phone and it was one of the hottest/most humid days of the month (but not hot enough to technically be an emergency). Monday they came and discovered that at some point the box on the exterior wall had caught fire, hence the tripped breakers and no AC.

They got it fixed but since then the house hasn't gotten under about 78° because the thermostat keeps jacking itself up from 68 to 85, thus shutting the AC off. We've got a call in to the service folks and they should be getting back to us shortly but it is still a bit frustrating. The bright side of all this is that the breakers did their job and the box on the outside wall contained the fire exactly like it was designed to.

• pira114 likes this

#638 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

Cars. Yeah, I'm one of those who never buys new and I do most of the work myself. I'm here to tell you, and I'm not joking, it's almost always cheaper to have a third car. We have two primary vehicles that we drive, and also have my big diesel truck. While I seem to always be working on one of them, having the third means if one goes high order on me, I have a spare while I source parts, do the work, or just plain save up money to even do it. But yeah, it don't help much when you're 4 hours from home. Sometimes shitty is just shitty.

ACs? I only have one small complaint about them. I don't have one. It's 105 at my house for the third day in a row, with overnights of low 70s. It just never cools down the house. Brutal. We literally are surrounded and covered by pine trees. Great shade right? Well, yes, except it also blocks any sort of breeze there might be. Catch 22.

I used to live in Tucson. I had no AC in my truck and no AC in my apartment back then (25ish years ago). Didn't seem to ever bother me. But I was a lot younger and a LOT skinnier. Seems to make a difference. Ha

Move to the mountains they told me. It's a lot cooler they told me. And it is. In fucking December

#639 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:24 AM

How the fuck does it take armorers *20* min to flip the mag release in a m9? I almost got dropped from pistol range for being late (on qual day, no less) because it took them 20 min to pull my gat, and flip it to be lefty friendly bc they couldnt do it on Tuesday when i first noticed it. Gah!

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#640 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

How the fuck does it take armorers *20* min to flip the mag release in a m9? I almost got dropped from pistol range for being late (on qual day, no less) because it took them 20 min to pull my gat, and flip it to be lefty friendly bc they couldnt do it on Tuesday when i first noticed it. Gah!

I feel like it's kinda your fault for being left handed... 

• DeathwatchDoc and jvandivere like this

ITSSignature2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users