12 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

What do you guys think about this knife as an EDC for my EDC Bag. Would attach it MOLLE style to the outside for quicker access then needing to rummage through the bag to get to it.

I'm not up and up on the diferent blades as far as hardness and holding an edge. This knife will be mailny utility with the advantage of self defense if needed and I didn't have my CCW.

Spartan - Phrike

http://spartanblades...325c82c572c07a6

If ya'll know of better knives to serve the same purpose then by all means hit me with me (not literally haha).

Fixed blade

Utility/Self Defense

4"-5" Blade

MOLLE Attachment for EDC Bag

Like always, thanks for any advice.

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#2 paulalfaro

paulalfaro

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts
  • Locationsouthern california

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm a big fan of ESEE 4 and the 1095 steel, i namely use it for camping/utility use and the carbon steel allows for easier maintenance of the edge in the field (resists chipping too). It will rust however not being a stainless as the Phrike is, but it is coated aside the edge to minimize upkeep.

Also it has a full handle which i greatly enjoy on a larger (4"+) knife. all at a very cost effective price and US made. 

I am a big fan on the s35v steel on the Phrike, but more so on EDC folders which i can upkeep the edge at home. Furthermore, a nice stainless is good to have on a heavily handled folder as to not worry about rusting issues. I have a spyderco superblue knife that is dual steel (stainless with large face carbon edge) and its a nuisance to upkeep from surface rust.

Sorry if i got off topic ha, just another option to consider and some items to note. Good luck in your choice

• MarineFO likes this

#3 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thanks! I have yet to dig into ESEE knives but it is on my list to research and look at before I purchase.

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#4 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

Kinda liking the ESEE 5 now. haha

itstactical.png

#5 tdbarge

tdbarge

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

I don't think you will be disappointed with a Spartan Blade. I love my Spartan Blades Enyo and wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their larger fixed blades if I had the cash. 

#6 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

I'm no expert, but if I was looking for a knife that would be expected to perform in combat, I'd be looking for something with a more extensive guard, to prevent your hand from sliding down the blade during a stab or thrust.

Ive heard in CQB involving edged weapons the majority of attacks will be slashing, but the thought of slicing through all the tendons in my fingers is pretty horrific to me. :)

Thoughts on this?

#7 KPD505

KPD505

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

I have the phrikes little brother the enyo. I carry it IWB and the quality is outstanding and the owners at Spartan are great to deal with. I don't think the phrike will disappoint you.

#8 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:47 AM

The knife ITS sells http://www.itstactic...mora-fireknife/

Will fit really well in the side molle straps on that pack. Turn it so they clip is on the outside and you've got it locked in.

Good luck in choosing what knife you go with my friend

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#9 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:17 AM

I have the RAT RC-6, which was the earlier name brand of the ESEE 6. That knife is a beast!

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#10 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:33 AM

Thanks guys! spent alot of the afternoon looking at and reading on the ESEE knives and I think thats what i'm going to go with. now just to decide on the length to go with. leaning on the 6 since i have a 4" folder.

thanks again!

• leosavage likes this

itstactical.png

#11 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:52 AM

ESEE makes some seriously knife blades, take care of them and they will last too.
  • CrazyD likes this

89BccLb.png

#12 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

Esee is a great choice. As I said before rowan ( the company that makes both tops and esee knives) makes great products.
To give you a few more options I'll suggest 3 knives I personally own that I'll 100% recommend. The bark river bravo https://www.google.c...c5iipPCME57NfpA
The fallkniven f1https://www.google.c...wF7o07cXSG-c9eA

Edited by leosavage, 23 September 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#13 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

I effed up that one...sorry lol links got mingled. The knife listed under the fallkniven f1 is the Ontario blackbird. This is the fallkniven f1https://www.google.c...sF2QaDQschRN8IQ.
All prices listed are full blown msrp. They can be found much cheaper elsewhere. Just some food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users