19 replies to this topic

#1 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

So I received a Hardened Arms 10.5, 1:7, 300 blk upper this week. I slammed a Noveske KX5 on the front with a KAK Industries buffer tube and Sig arm brace. Being my first blackout I decided that less expensive, unless you ask my wife, was the way to go. Below are my 300 round test fire results.

Range: 100 yards
Load #1 150 gr Sierra SPBT (purchased by mistake and no returns lol. They were in with the SMK)
Load #2 168 gr Hornady BTHP Match
Both loads used Lil' Gun powder and Fed sm rifle primers.

I started with a barrel break in, my version at least and burnished the barrel with Frog Lube <Awesome if you haven't tried it you should.

The 150s were running a 3" group average but fed like shit because you don't slam a soft point into an M4 feed ramp and always come out on top, in my experience. So my rule is a malfunction is an opportunity to improve your immediate action response. However 3 in one 30 rnd mag is way too much. That was my reminder to pay attention the next time I grab a box of bullets.

The 168s did a pretty damn good job. I averaged a 1.75" group offhand which is not a very good position as we all know and I understand that an off hand group doesn't really count due to instability which is actually why I mentioned it. But no jams at all over the 10 groups of 3 rnds or the four 30 rnd mags I burned down the barrel.

Yes I played amateur on this test as far as accuracy goes. I know better but it was a time crunch and a last minute decision to run out and burn some powder. The important part is the next part.

Recoil was slightly more than a 5.56 however was every manageable. Over all I love the round so far and I have high hopes for the upper itself. I purchased it on Gunbroker for $263 delivered to the house. I have decided since I have so many of the 168s I will probably stick with them for my final load search. This caliber has been on my list for the last two AR builds and has now actually been completed. Thanks for reading and drop some info or experience if you have some.

Has anyone done any long range with a 300 blk? (Over 600 yards)
Past behavior is indicative of future performance!
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:07 AM

Silly question, but I've been pondering a 300 build myself. Looking to shoot only supersonic ammo since I can't suppress. Any recommendations? I found these but don't know what to think

http://ozarkordnance...ckout_c_13.html

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

So jealous!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Jersey! I've been looking for a reliable place to get 300blk, I finished my pistol build this summer, but with moving and school I haven't shot it yet. :beat:

• Jersey0311 likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#5 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Jersey! I've been looking for a reliable place to get 300blk, I finished my pistol build this summer, but with moving and school I haven't shot it yet. :beat:

I've been looking for the same as well. Was googling for supersonic 300 when I found that site. I'm assuming that if the ammo isn't labeled subsonic, that it's logical to assume it's supersonic right?

TBL-2.png

#6 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, that's the general assumption I have as well. Also I've noticed that bullet weights on the subsonics seems to always be over 200gr.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#7 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

Yeah, that's the general assumption I have as well. Also I've noticed that bullet weights on the subsonics seems to always be over 200gr.

Torn between the 147 and 150 supersonics. That difference is so minute that I don't know if it'd be a big deal either way for plinking or even toting around as a truck gun when I'm out of state.

TBL-2.png

#8 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

Also this is useful for 300 shooters for marking mags

http://www.faxonfire...-300-blk-762x39

Edited by Jersey0311, 15 November 2014 - 06:02 AM.

TBL-2.png

#9 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

http://www.surplusam...m/300-blackout/

If you want plinking ammo I would go with Surplus Ammo. I am reloading so ammo sourcing hasn't been an issue for me. I did see that 300 blk is on the high end compared to 5.56. Those marking bands are awesome! Another way you can do it is to used Pmags of a different color. I have a Foliage rifle and Black rifle so I decided to go with an FDE pistol. I don't usually color code my mags due to all of them being 556 prior to this build.

I am quickly falling in love with this caliber though. Hopefully it stays that way. Today I will be prepping brass for my survey ammo in 168gr BTHP. I will be doing proper accuracy testing next Sunday due to my work schedule.

Torn between the 147 and 150 supersonics. That difference is so minute that I don't know if it'd be a big deal either way for plinking or even toting around as a truck gun when I'm out of state.

The ballistic difference between 147 and 150 would be negligible, especially at short ranges. I am planning to stretch out to at least 500 next weekend but I am not expecting anything phenomenal due to not finding the "Sweet Spot Load". Yes I am an ammo geek. I will definitely follow up with the review.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#10 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   78.52KB   0 downloads

Wow I think I got it...lol. Sorry guys I am an FNG to forums. But this is what I am running for now.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#11 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

what are the ballistics of the 300blk? I'm currently putting together a 6.5 Grendel build and have looked at the 300blk SOME for the simplicity of using pmags and the 5.56 bolt whereas the 6.5 Grendel takes it own mag and different bolt.

But I'm really liking the accuracy and velocity/energy of the 6.5. this will also serve as my go to gun for hunting whitetails and under from 200yrds and under as well.

generally speaking the 300blk will be cheaper to build, more expensive to shoot (until I start reloading), and still not sure of the ballistics to fit what I'm wanting to do with it.

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#12 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

what are the ballistics of the 300blk?

Roughly speaking, very comparable to a 30-30

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#13 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

hmmm, maybe make that my next upper build, gonna stick with the 6.5 build for now then.

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#14 HelveticaKiller

HelveticaKiller

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

Coydog How did you get the brace so far back what buffer tube did you use I just built a 6.8 spc it would be nice if i could find a longer buffer tube that will not let the brace spin

#15 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

Coydog How did you get the brace so far back what buffer tube did you use I just built a 6.8 spc it would be nice if i could find a longer buffer tube that will not let the brace spin

KAK makes extended pistol tubes for the sig brace for those of us with long forearms.

http://www.kakindust...ubes-and-parts/

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#16 Bodi_R578

Bodi_R578

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcarrying the flag of freedom

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

I was not sure about this 300 blk out. seemed more like a popular fad kind of thing..... after some more research and pitted up against the 7.62 x 39 the 6.5, 6.8 and the 5.56/.223.. well I think I'm sold on the 300 blk....... the silencer qualities with sub sonic ammo is beyond impressive!!! the energy carried out to 500 m is equally impressive over the 5.56 and the range up to effective 500 and even as far out to 700 m is all so good in my book. seems like this round meets my requirements of close range and long range effect on target. with the added benefit of the subsonic rounds used with suppressor if ever such a thing was needed. this is a round that could be used 130 gr super sonic round for hunting and down to a 77 gr super sonic round for defense. the only draw back..... price and availability but the flexibility if the round qouped with the modularity of the AR style rifle offset the two draw backs that the 300 blk carrys with it.

see the video

and I found this to be very interesting given my army back ground

#17 Bodi_R578

Bodi_R578

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcarrying the flag of freedom

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:38 AM

this chart kinda helped and since the 300 blk uses a .308 bullet and a shortened 5.56/.223 case you have a lot of optios when it comes to hand loads or custom rounds given you completed task results.

the second pic shows the super cool part of the 300 blk in that its the same relative size as a 5.56mm so you get to use all the cool parts of the AR style rifles. minus the 556 barrel and gas tube.  

Attached Files

#18 Hatkin

Hatkin

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

Since I have been using this round a while, I'll add a few general comments. 2 rifles, one 20" 5v rifled bull rem700, and a standard 16" m4 style. This rifle I built myself. Both are suppressor fitted. #1: ilove this round!
Factory goto ammo is the Hornadyy 200, suppressed, and the rem 125gr hog killer unsuppressed. As for handloads , again I stay with the 200 gr horn, and any good 125/130. Best not to try and make some t thing it's not. It will likely disappoint in the standard 30-30 weights of 150/170grs
In the heavies, it will do what it was designed for, a decent 150 yd dogkiller , and the lighter weights have enough velocity to make decent hunting rounds.
Accuracy: as you might imagine, the bolt gun far offshoots the ar . The bolt is a sub inch gun, the ar I will be generous and call a decent sub two inch gun. It has a acog sight, not the best for bull work.
If you really want a600 yd gun, for the ar platform, I'd suggest the grendel, and reinforce your wallet
Just my observations after using them a year plus, and several rounds downgrade
Please forgive typos: doing this from a tablet in a hospital bed-not the best platform for this work. :)

#19 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

Dragging these tables I posted in a previous thread on the caliber back out. Make your own decisions but 300 blackout isn't for me unless I was going to do a suppressed sbr. 

Attached File  drop table.png   307.54KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Rifle caliber energy.jpg   65.98KB   0 downloads

• Fivesenenguy likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#20 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

Dragging these tables I posted in a previous thread on the caliber back out. Make your own decisions but 300 blackout isn't for me unless I was going to do a suppressed sbr. 

attachicon.gifdrop table.png

attachicon.gifRifle caliber energy.jpg

agreed.

EIu5PDO.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users