53 replies to this topic

#41 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:20 PM

Had a thought about my new wallet and was wondering if anyone who was already carrying entry tools has run into this. (Yes, I now have entry tools and no idea how to use them)

What do you do when you have to go through security? When you fly? Go into a court room? I'm assuming there's enough metal that it would set off most detectors if you kept it on you. I'm also assuming the rolled up metal wire would catch some attention going through x-ray. Wondering if I need to keep my old wallet for certain occasions.

Don't know about courtrooms. i can see that getting sticky

as far as flying, i don't think there's anything specifically prohibited in the entry tools set. What i typically do when flying is to put my wallet in my carry on and only have my ID in my hand. I don't like to put my wallet in the little dish thing, too many chances for it to walk off. I stow my EDC (except for the knives) in a small pelican case and leave it in my carry on till i clear security. then when i'm getting dressed i just put it back in my pocket. keeps me from having to explain what my gerber shard is. I'll do the same thing with the wallet. my guess is it will blend in with the rest of the stuff in my carry on.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#42 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

Had a thought about my new wallet and was wondering if anyone who was already carrying entry tools has run into this. (Yes, I now have entry tools and no idea how to use them)

What do you do when you have to go through security? When you fly? Go into a court room? I'm assuming there's enough metal that it would set off most detectors if you kept it on you. I'm also assuming the rolled up metal wire would catch some attention going through x-ray. Wondering if I need to keep my old wallet for certain occasions.

Mighty, I had the same exact thought this morning... I too have the entry set in my wallet and am flying commercial next week and was wondering about the entry tools and ceramic razor blade. My initial plan was just to remove them for this trip since I don't actually have any clue how to use the entry tools yet. It's a skill set that is on my "to learn" list I just haven't gotten to it yet. The only reason I have them in my wallet now is just I can get properly evaluate the wallet with them in there for thickness. As far as TSA specific goes, I do not think they have anything that regulates against entry tools but I know different states have different laws concerning them... as has been greatly debated on this forum, so I think I'm going to pull them for at least this trip until I am further educated. 

• MightyP likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#43 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

And in most people's experience of TSA, if they don't like it, they can stop you from having it, or delay you enough to make your day get pretty awful.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#44 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

Mighty, I had the same exact thought this morning... I too have the entry set in my wallet and am flying commercial next week and was wondering about the entry tools and ceramic razor blade. My initial plan was just to remove them for this trip since I don't actually have any clue how to use the entry tools yet. It's a skill set that is on my "to learn" list I just haven't gotten to it yet. The only reason I have them in my wallet now is just I can get properly evaluate the wallet with them in there for thickness. As far as TSA specific goes, I do not think they have anything that regulates against entry tools but I know different states have different laws concerning them... as has been greatly debated on this forum, so I think I'm going to pull them for at least this trip until I am further educated. 

Oh come one Davis. Take one from the team and report back. They have internet access in prison.....

La'

• CalicoJack, Davis, DieselD and 1 other like this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#45 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

Don't know about courtrooms. i can see that getting sticky

as far as flying, i don't think there's anything specifically prohibited in the entry tools set. What i typically do when flying is to put my wallet in my carry on and only have my ID in my hand. I don't like to put my wallet in the little dish thing, too many chances for it to walk off. I stow my EDC (except for the knives) in a small pelican case and leave it in my carry on till i clear security. then when i'm getting dressed i just put it back in my pocket. keeps me from having to explain what my gerber shard is. I'll do the same thing with the wallet. my guess is it will blend in with the rest of the stuff in my carry on.

La'

I think you're right that most of it won't attract much attention. It's the kevlar cordage and leader wire roll that I think might stick out.

Glad I'm not the only one who bought the entry kit with no clue how to use most of it!

And in most people's experience of TSA, if they don't like it, they can stop you from having it, or delay you enough to make your day get pretty awful.

Truer words have not been spoken...

Oh come one Davis. Take one from the team and report back. They have internet access in prison.....

La'

Davis, I'll bet there would even be a few people around who could teach you how to use that entry kit you just bought!

Edited by MightyP, 19 November 2014 - 06:06 PM.

• Davis likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#46 NLYE

NLYE

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 67 posts
  • Locationin your rearview

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:30 PM

So, how does everyone like their wallet? 

I went with the black and the RFID sleeve. I'm digging the wallet, and it would certainly be impossible for someone to pull it from my pocket with me noticing - the texture is very grippy. 

The only thing I am not a fan of is the size of the RFID sleeve, I can only fit one card in it "comfortably." It's pretty challenging to pull one card out and I can't imagine trying to store multiple cards inside. 

vt9QnZk.png

"A Gentleman would not want to appear armed, but would not be so foolish as to go unarmed.

Always be a Gentleman. Alway be courteous. Always be ready to kill everyone in the room."

#47 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

I mean no disrespect to Brian and those involved in the creation of the ITS wallet but I think the RFID sleeve was the easy way out.

It's enough of a pain in the butt to pull our your wallet when your hands are full, let alone have to pull out a wallet, the RFID sleeve and then the card.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#48 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

FYI, flying with entry tools (IE lock picks) isn't that big of a deal. I have flown four times now in the past year to either vacation or to attend a class and have had mine in my carry on each time. Only once did TSA open the case to inspect them, and that went as far as literally just opening the flap, looking, and closing the flap. It could be argued they fall under the guise of the TSA's own rule of "tools under X inches." Hell, they were too worried about the "rifle brass" I had in my carry on that turned out to be my razors shaving handle! So, I guess throw a decoy in the guys bag behind you, you'll have no problems then!!
  • Davis likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#49 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

so far i dig my wallet. it is very "sticky" and it can be a little work to get my cards out, especially if I have gloves on or things in my hands. I like the tool flaps, but they are also a little tough to get open and the tools out in a "covert" manner. If someone is observant they can tell you're fiddling with something. All in all i'm pleased, but i haven't had to deploy the SERE tools beyond practicing with them and showing the wallet off to my "Tactical" friends.

La'

Posted Image

#50 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

I like it so far. It took a few days to figure out how to get cards/cash in/out smoothly, but it's good now. I'll second what La' said and add to it. I can't get the tool flaps out without taking out my cash, but since they're meant to be hidden, I'm okay with the extra work.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#51 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

OK Guys, since Davis didn't step up to take one for the team and give flying a shot I did.

I had to fly to one of my plants to conduct a quality review and i didn't swap wallets, so i ended up flying with the wallet. I flew out of a local commuter into a relatively large airport that up until two years ago was a hub. as i stated above, i usually throw my wallet into my carry on bag in the compartment with pens, keys, and other stuff.

Going thru security at the commuter they pulled some of my clothes out of the main compartment and re x-ray'd the bag, but never dug deeper for the wallet.

At the "hub" it went thru the X-ray on the first shot and they never looked twice.

This was with the full SERE kit, including ceramic razor.

just an FYI, YMMV.

I can't be held responsible for any bail or bond incurred based on this AAR.

La'

• Hidyn and MightyP like this
Posted Image

#52 farcyde07gti

farcyde07gti

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

I realize RFID sleeves and such are a thing now with rfid in credit cards, but I suspect the Pi card size pick set facing body out and your card inboard the range of RFID scanners would be cut down to almost contact.  Feel free to prove me wrong and provide links.

I do use a cheap rfid sleeve from REI (3 pack) for what I consider to be higher risk areas (defcon vegas anyone?) but otherwise I block outside with pick set and use my big ol' body to shield the other side.

#53 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

Anyone know when we might see a restock, I'm in need of a new wallet.
  • Psybain likes this

#54 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Anyone know when we might see a restock, I'm in need of a new wallet.

There's no official restock notification we can give you on the ITS Hypalon Concealment Wallet but it's something we're currently working on getting back as soon as possible. We don't like having products out of stock longer than necessary and apologize for the inconvenience. 

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts on the wallets too. It's great getting feedback from you guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users