• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:03 PM

Latest carry is the SureFire E1D LED Defender. They seem to have toned down the strike bezel a bit from their previous models, and have a newer pocket clip design, so it's definitely more EDC-friendly. Output is in the neighborhood of 300 lumens on high, and 5 lumens on low mode. The icing on the cake is that it runs on a single CR123 cell.  :biggrin:

15758162016_e921e1f002_c.jpg

I really like those one cell Surefires, they just look right. Technically over here, that would be illegal to carry in public.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#42 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

I really like those one cell Surefires, they just look right. Technically over here, that would be illegal to carry in public.

Why?

89BccLb.png

#43 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

Why?

Because it's black and scary looking.
  • bigfoot likes this

#44 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

I've had a great experience with my Streamlight ProTac 2L.

#45 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

Why?

You'd probably have to have a very bad day, but it's illegal to carry in public an offensive weapon. That's defined as anything made, adapted or intended to cause injury. And that crenelated bezel is made for the purpose, albeit the secondary purpose of the light. I've not heard of it happening, but not many people carry SureFires.

*not a lawyer.

Because it's black and scary looking.

Pretty much.

#46 bigfoot

bigfoot

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

Did I say strike bezel? Oops. I meant a "raised bezel" to keep the light from getting too hot.  :P

#47 bigfoot

bigfoot

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

Here's a couple more...

SureFire LX2 Lumamax:

13783111344_ca314b73d8_c.jpg

SureFire E1L and E2L AA Outdoorsman:

8869665901_be0968857d_c.jpg

Edited by bigfoot, 19 December 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#48 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

Olight t20

Attached Files

EIu5PDO.png

#49 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

You'd probably have to have a very bad day, but it's illegal to carry in public an offensive weapon. That's defined as anything made, adapted or intended to cause injury. And that crenelated bezel is made for the purpose, albeit the secondary purpose of the light. I've not heard of it happening, but not many people carry SureFires.

Does that mean you can't carry a pocket knife/multitool then either?

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#50 thetacticalmonkey

thetacticalmonkey

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

So I ordered one of the thyrm switchbacks for one of the girls in my unit as a Christmas present and I ordered one for myself for the free shipping.  I run a surefire fury combat light on duty with an E2DL as a back up. I think I like the switchback even better than the surefire rogers grip but I've got to play with it more to decide for good.

#51 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:36 PM

Streamlight ProTac with the 2 AA's. I wanted something that used batteries I could get anywhere if I was in a rough spot.

Very happy with it!

#52 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

Pocket carry is ProTac 1AA, TenTap programmed to high mode only OR LEDLenser T5.  I love the the push/pull, zoom optic, gives me tight beam thru perfect diffuse flood.

Streamlight Nanos on all keychains.  They have come in very handy.

In laptop bag, Surefire P2X.  In day pack P2ZX.  Both are high output single mode w/Raven rings.

#53 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

Does that mean you can't carry a pocket knife/multitool then either?

sure you can, a Leatherman isn't made to cause injury. However a separate law prohibits carry of knives without reasonable excuse, the exception being a folding pocket knife (non locking) below 3".

Anything carried for self defence is illegal in essence.

#54 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

Anything carried for self defence is illegal in essence.

Good to know. Thanks. And it hurts me. Deep down. I've died a little.

• bigfoot likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#55 Chris Anders

Chris Anders

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGranite Falls, NC

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

You have to love Fenix. They are an incredible value and I have been using my PD 30 (they no longer make the PD 30 but replaced it with the brighter PD 32) for about 3 years. I took it to Afghanistan on a 7 month deployment and it really didn't disappoint. I actually babied it a bit there because I was afraid to loose it but I carried it most every day. I used cheaper lights to see when I would get up in the middle of the night to find a latrine near my tent but I used my fenix for job related stuff both in and out of the wire. To me, the PD 30/32, are just an excellent size for the hand and if you want a light for EDC that is not just to go on a keychain but one to keep on your nightstand next to your pistol, this is the flashlight I would choose. It takes two of the 3V lithium batteries (CR123A) and it is very bright. I don't remember how many lumens off the top of my head but then the lumen numbers are ALWAYS changing with new version updates which I have heard happen frequently. Fenix also offers models of other sizes and they even have lights that take AA batteries if you are not excited about buying the 3V lithiums (sometimes they can be hard to find for some people and pricy). If you want a flashlight that is exceptionally bright, waterproof, shockproof and can be mounted on a weapon (some models can be mounted) then get a Fenix. There is another brand called Nightcore and I would be pressed to say if they are the same flashlight. A buddy of mine bought one from ebay for less that a Fenix and I swear it looks exactly like a PD35. I am all about spreading the word about quality gear that can be had for cheap. Don't skimp on a light but you don't have to splurge for a surefire. I know that is all James Yeager uses, but then he has the money to do that. Streamlight is also a good brand. I plan to buy a Fenix PD 35 for my next light. It is beefier than the PD 30 and 32. The PD 35s battery tube is also made wider to accept a longer rechargeable lithium battery or 2 3V lithiums. I like having options. :headbang:  I plan to use it on on patrol when I get hired as a police officer, which should happen very soon!

I included a photo of my Fenix PD 30 and a new flashlight Coast HP1 (powered by 1 AA). I haven't found a specific purpose for yet but I do like it so far. The focus can be changed my pulling out on the bezel instead of spinning it.   2014-12-22%2012.35.51.jpg

Edited by Chris Anders, 22 December 2014 - 01:10 PM.

Nunquam non parati

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#56 flashlightsolutions

flashlightsolutions

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

good presentation and point made...

Indeed there are strikignresemblances in soem of the lights between the 2 firms but they are completely different entities.

Either Nitecore copies Fenix, or they are buyin out a basic design.

Fenix ahs a bit better track record than Nitecore. This company rushes new models out of the door as fast as you can breathe, and occasionaly a design has minor issues

#57 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:41 PM

Good to know. Thanks. And it hurts me. Deep down. I've died a little.

Don't forget that what I wrote is UK specific.

#58 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:57 AM

I don't think Nitecore is directly copying Fenix but they are using some design features that are extremely similar (i.e. the two-prong cutout tailcap on the Fennix LD10/LD20 is seem on the MT1A, which in my opinion makes the switch easier to access). There are extreme differences between Nitecore and Fenix, though, particularly in regards to user interface. The Fenix LD10/LD20 has a reverse clicky and cycles Low>Med>High>Strobe (I think) and always defaults back to Low when turned off for more than a few seconds (unless the head is tightened to put it in Turbo/Max mode) while the MT1A is a forward clicky (meaning momentary on) that cycles High>Med>Low>Strobe>SOS. Personally, I prefer the Fenix set-up because I have no need for the strobe and do not like that there is no way to get to the higher levels (i.e. High from Med or Me from Low) without cycling through the strobe setting.

Anyway, I'll be giving my father either an MT1A or Quark QP plus red filters for Christmas (he gets one, I'll get the other) so after unwrapping I'll snap some comparison pictures between those two and my Fenix LD10 and post them here.

#59 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

Speaking of Nitecore...a pair of these just showed up for my wife and I. Nitecore Tube. 1-45 lumen adjustable. Integral lithium ion battery rechargeable via micro USB. Integrated key ring is allegedly rated at 70+ pounds. Best part is it's $10 on Amazon! I'm pretty happy with it.
Attached File  IMG_20141223_174242.jpg   132.63KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_20141223_174227.jpg   151.31KB   0 downloads

#60 Giner

Giner

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago, USA

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

Just picked up an Olight S10R.  It's a thing of beauty, small, a very useful low for menu reading/movie theater walking and a brilliant high.  The magnetic base is handy too.  With a tiny USB recharging pedestal, the battery stays topped up.  >$60, with battery!  I am really pleased--

Instantly retired my old Photon Proton Pro...

• Fivesenenguy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users