• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 martin bishop

martin bishop

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Found these 5.5" shears on rescue-essentials.com. I definitely like the price point better. I'll let you know what I think of them when they come in.

50_0660_2__38940.1406264168.1280.1280.jp

Ther are only so many different makes and styles of rescue schears, but you are about to find out that, that partiuclar style is pure shit. hence the price.

#22 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

Ther are only so many different makes and styles of rescue schears, but you are about to find out that, that partiuclar style is pure shit. hence the price.

I will soon find out. I got them in a little while ago and have been so busy I haven't had the chance to try them out. I was less motivated when I discovered, even at 5.5", they were still too big for my pouch. 

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#23 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

Recommendations? Options are fairly thin on the ground here. My service actually treats EMS shears as one use only, have to be destroyed after use.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#24 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

Mighty P -

I'm sorry that I had missed your question to me. My earlier post talked about that. If you want something smaller than shears - then you had better test it out on different clothing - to ensure that it will work on the range of clothing types that you are expecting to encounter - before an exigent circumstance occurs.

If you are looking for great shears - look at RipShears.

Hope that helps!

Chris

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM (I will either find a way, or make one.) - Hannibal

ITS Life Member and Crew Leader

Owner and Principal Instructor - at, Immediate Action Outfitters, LLC www.facebook.com/ImmediateActionOutfitters

#25 ccvlm

ccvlm

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

Hi Mighty P!

Here are a few of my personal thoughts on the Raptor. I don't have a lot of time to post a lengthy response - right now - but will give you the short and sweet version.

I received my pair - in the first release, from Leatherman - from my distributor. I fielded them and put them through the paces. They work well. However - and this is a consensus between EMS coworkers, TEMS providers and combat medic friends - they are heavy and bulky, when compared to standard shears. Enough that I keep them in a 72-hour kit and use my current-generation, RipShears - for my daily-use shears. People who wear MOLLE/PALS webbing - typically leave them in the deployed position and attach it to their gear, without the rotating holster - as it sticks-out too far and catches on things.

I do not mean any disrespect, but through my travels (as an EMS provider and an instructor) - most of the people that I know who carry these - not only do so for the utility, but for the "gee whiz" factor, as well. For around a third of the price, and much less weight - a pair of RipShears can do much of the same stuff (plus, they have a glow in-the-dark feature - which is handy in dark areas).

Another interesting anecdote - I, like many, thought that the incorporated ring cutter would be handy. In principle, it should be. However, in practice - I have found that soft metal rings aren't quite as prevalent, as they once had been.

Everything works as advertised. If price, weight and bulk aren't concerns for you - then, by all means, go with the Raptor. Also, I wonder if a Raptor would fit in the Maxpedition Micro Wallet - however, if you were referring to the Micro Pocket Organizer - then you will be fine (just know that when they are collapsed - they take-up a fair amount of space). NA Rescue makes tan and black pouches to carry the Raptor.

Yes, I like them, they serve their purpose and are really cool. However, I tried carrying them daily and am now carrying the RipShears.

In my honest opinion - if time is of the essence, RipShears blow the Raptor out of-the-water (in speed of accessing injuries).

Have a great day and good luck!

Chris

I agree with most of this.

I recently just received my raptor shears as well as a RipShear attachment. For those who have tried this before, you probably found out that the RipShear component doesn't quite fit on the Raptor and can't be attached using the standard nuts and screws it comes with. I really wanted to use both of these together and where theres a will theres a way. After about an hour messing around with the pieces trying to see if i could fit it somehow I got creative and used zip-ties instead of the bolts and screws the RipShear attachment came with. 

It came out looking really nice and after putting twi zip-ties in between the handle and the RipShear I was able to make it sit quite securely without it looking bad. I attached images so you can see what I mean:

bPfUJ1z.jpg

16gAetn.jpg

#26 B+Shooter

B+Shooter

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 58 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

I agree with most of this.

I recently just received my raptor shears as well as a RipShear attachment. For those who have tried this before, you probably found out that the RipShear component doesn't quite fit on the Raptor and can't be attached using the standard nuts and screws it comes with. I really wanted to use both of these together and where theres a will theres a way. After about an hour messing around with the pieces trying to see if i could fit it somehow I got creative and used zip-ties instead of the bolts and screws the RipShear attachment came with. 

It came out looking really nice and after putting twi zip-ties in between the handle and the RipShear I was able to make it sit quite securely without it looking bad. I attached images so you can see what I mean:

bPfUJ1z.jpg

16gAetn.jpg

Why?

Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't you just make a bulky piece of equipment bulkier? And I don't believe the RipShear adds anything that the Raptor doesn't already have.  Seems like it would be better to buy a set of regular trauma shears and have two separate pieces of equipment to choose from(two locations/broken or lost one/etc).  This seems like a diminishing rate of return to have redundant parts on a single item.

#27 muaddib1

muaddib1

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

I work as an EMT. I don't have a pair personally but the co workers who do have them like them aside from the bulk. I carry the mojo shears in my duty pants (I love them and no puns intended) and carry a leatherman OHT on my belt which I love as well. Personally it's easier for me to grab my shears if I need to quickly cut down someone or something and easily be able to put them back in my pocket and secure them (from what I've seen not so easy with the raptor shears) but that may just be me. but really it comes down to comfort level and familiarity with your equipment and doing what you are comfortable with.

#28 GrizCo

GrizCo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Recommendations? Options are fairly thin on the ground here. My service actually treats EMS shears as one use only, have to be destroyed after use.

I have like 10 pairs of cheapo's with the intent of destroying them after use, assuming I am cutting through bloody clothing when I pull them from my kit. Besides, they don't stay sharp for long. If it's something that is going to sit in my kit waiting for doom, and not something I use at the range or camping, I have a hard time justifying the additional expense for something cool. My advice is to not find gear to fit your bag, find your gear then find the bag to hold it. If you live near a military base, check out sew shops, they can mod the crap out of your bag i.e. custom pouches, hidden pockets, rain covers, Kevlar reinforced stitching, etc.

#29 flashlightsolutions

flashlightsolutions

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

I also like Columbia River Knife and Tool's (CRKT), K.E.R.T. (Key Ring Emergency Tool). It not only has a strap cutter - but an oxygen cylinder wrench, a 1/4" hex driver, screwdriver and a bottle opener!

thanks for bringing it up.

i was searching for such a tool the other day cso i cannot carry a knife legally over here.

And it is a good edc item too cos the oxygen key can open most faucets that had the ahndle removed around here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shears, medical, Leatherman, Raptor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users