#1 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

Team,

Anyone know about or use gear from Kifaru? I'm looking at building a new system and I'm looking at some of their bag and tarp products.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#2 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:21 PM

It's one of those companies like TAD that has an absolutely dedicated following. My understanding is it's pretty bombproof, their suspension systems and all are good, but it's sewed up old school and can get to be heavy.

• redsol1 likes this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#3 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

thanks Corbs. That's good intel. I'm a big Hazard4 fan but I really liked the looks of Kifaru's E&E bag. Their "dock n lock" system looks interesting.

la'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#4 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

Make sure you read up first. I know some of their bags require additional purchases (shoulder straps, waist belts etc), as they ship with none or 'place holder' straps. I believe they have forums on their site, probably a good resource, if a little fanboi-ish.

I suppose it's good if you already have pieces of the system, and can 'lego' packs together like SureFire lights or ARs, but if not, it can get pricey.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#5 tdbarge

tdbarge

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

I have never owned any of their packs or tarps but have heard good things and for the most part Kifaru is held in high regard as far as I know.  I do own one of their Woobies and it is one of the single best pieces of gear I own. Packs small and is VERY warm. GI poncho liners are the bee-knees, the Kifaru version is even better.

#6 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

I own (5) Five of their packs (3 of which are the E&E) and a bunch of their pouches and pockets. Top shelf equipment (And this assessment from a guy who owns about 44 or 48 backpacks).

Edited by Sourdough, 17 March 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#7 Appattack

Appattack

Mate

• Life Member
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

I own a Doobie and used to own an Arctic Woobie (it was stollen). I loved both............ My sleep system last summer was simply my Doobie thrown onto the ground and me thrown into it and it worked out just fine (and super light weight "system").......... I'm buying a 0-degree slick bag today for spring and fall usage.

All of their stuff is expensive and high quality Gucci-gear that has a solid reputation.

Muster 2, GR Challenges 840/1036, Navigator 006

#8 Stoner

Stoner

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:17 AM

I've had the Kifaru Marauder ruck for 11+ yrs. with 2 long pouches and the claymore pouch its approximately 2600 c.i.'s. It was my primary pack in Iraq, and now serves as my backpacking ruck. It did cost in the ballpark of about $800, but I don't regret a cent. There is no doubt I will ever need to replace it. The quality is top notch and the design was very well thought out. Previous to this pack I carried a modified mountain ruck on and ALICE frame. When I transferred the same gear into my Kifaru it felt like half the weight. Their suspention system Blew me away. There definitely are lighter packs on the market these days, but I would be surprised if any could meet the same durability a Kifaru pack. I stand behind it 100%.

As others have said the woobie is great, as well as the field chair they sell, which could probably duplicate the design in your garage.

#9 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

Kifaru is a badass company, but they make everything to order so you have to wait. Though it is all pretty badass I hate to say it i moved on to Hill People Gear which is far far more badass on the packs end of things. As is there Mountain Serape 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users