Drop-leg Thing'ies

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:37 PM

I could use a short education about drop-leg set-ups. Is one system superior. Just looking at the set-up, I get the feeling it is unstable.......

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

Drop legs are useful if you need to clear armor or have a need to mount them somewhere below your belt. Armor is usually the #1 reason for this.

I personally prefer all belt mounted systems due to the sheer pain in the ass it is to run with shit on your thighs. That said, properly adjusted drop legs do serve a purpose and I do have them. I have a HSGI Double Decker leg rig and the typical Safariland drop holster. Will be getting a single strap Safariland shortly for my duty gun for those times I'm running kit and need to clear the armor.

• Sourdough, mangeface, FreeStyle1138 and 2 others like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

High and tight. G-Code seems to make the absolute best drop leg platforms for handguns. I've owned both the DLS and Mule. I currently have the Mule with a Safariland 6378 and it's a phenomenal set up. RTI attachment for both the gun holster and platform. The platform attaches to a 2" belt hanger, so I can drop the gun without removing the belt.
  • PsychoFish, HTEngineer and DieselD like this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

I used to have to run drop leg gear (holster on one side and platform with magazines on the other) due to the survival vest and armor I had to wear that precluded anything mounted on the belt.  The most stable thigh platform I have found is the Blackhawk platform as it runs two suspension straps to your belt rather then one and it does a great job of staying exactly where you leave it.  That being said I avoid thigh rigs like the plague right now.  Moving with all that gear on your thighs flopping around its akward and things dont tend to stay exactly where you want them in the case of the mag platform so I found myself constantly having to look to find the mags rather then being able to grab on muscle memory like I do with my battle belt style setup.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#5 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

Mange is right, keep it as high as you can and you will be fine. I have modified most of my safariland leg platforms to only use the bottom strap. The top strap has been cut off and notched away. Guess they sell some like that now too, it was popular on lightfighter a few years back that way.

• mangeface and ETCGIB like this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#6 Stoner

Stoner

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:38 PM

I also wear the Safariland 6378, which is a solid rig.  The key, IMO, is how you adjust it.  The holster should be adjusted in accordance with the gear your wearing with it and by what your primarily doing while wearing it.  Me for example I wear it while wearing a bulky entry vest, I like it to be adjusted so that when in a comfortable standing position, the palm of my gun hand naturally rests on or very close to the grip of the pistol.  I like to have the rig adjusted more on my lower hip then my thigh, and rotated a bit toward the front of my leg.  In order to achieve this, I ditched the upper leg strap, and only use the lower strap. This makes for a quicker draw and transition without having to search for the pistol grip.  Having it rotated forward also makes driving a cruiser a bit more comfortable for me due to the radio consoles.

Just find a reputable rig and adjust it to fit your needs.

#7 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:55 PM

I'm another g-code fan. I use the mule rig for my m9 and glock 19 sxt holsters and it sits on my upper thigh in the perfect spot.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#8 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:12 AM

I'm foisted upon the drop leg holster by HQ Security Forces Center, but I am not a fan and got an adapter for my duty belt. And I'm sure I'll piss off some of you, but I use a Serpa on my vest. I concur that is you MUST user one, the Blackhawk platform is great, and I'm also a fan of G-Code, I have one for my XD.

While I breathe I shall defend.

#9 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Serpas are so not oaf...What's the opposite of operator? Serpa.
  • Psybain, mangeface, Jersey0311 and 1 other like this

#10 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

Dude, I'm a cop. I'll freely admit that I'm not some uberSEALsniperninjaforcerecondeltarangerTAC-Prescueswimmerparareacueman. It works for me, and that's good enough.
  • ETCGIB likes this

#11 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

But you could be
  • CalicoJack and jvandivere like this

#12 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

Serpas are so not oaf...What's the opposite of operator? Serpa.

Serpa As Fuck is the new POG.

• mangeface and MIDGAPATRIOT like this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#13 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate.

• PsychoFish and AaronK like this

#14 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate.

Did you? Yup, you really went there.

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg
  • HTEngineer and jvandivere like this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#15 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

Shake it of brother!

Yeah I just went there too...

#16 MIDGAPATRIOT

MIDGAPATRIOT

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

Serpa As Fuck is the new POG.

Lol

#17 Virius

Virius

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWaterford, WI

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

I may get shit for this, but what is wrong with a Serpa on your vest? That is what I rolled with in Iraq and it was perfect because I absolutely hated drop legs, especially when you are walking multiple kilometer patrols in the Iraqi summer.

Posted Image
"A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow." - William Tecumseh Sherman

#18 Stoner

Stoner

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:46 PM

I may get shit for this, but what is wrong with a Serpa on your vest? That is what I rolled with in Iraq and it was perfect because I absolutely hated drop legs, especially when you are walking multiple kilometer patrols in the Iraqi summer.

I won't give you shit, what works for you, is what's best for you, especially considering people's different body shapes and sizes and would also depend on your your doing while carrying the side arm. Personally I preferered the leg holster over wearing it on my vest because I was often in the prone, which would make the side arm less accessible and uncomfortable. I never had an issue with the leg holster on long patrols, but it does take getting use to. Currently, as a swat operator, is still prefer to keep the front of my vest as streamlined as possible, mostly for the ease of climbing through windows and or for being in tighter spaces. Now, if I were a tanker or turret gunner, esc., then yes, I would be probably be wearing the rig on my chest.

Just my opinion.......

#19 Virius

Virius

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWaterford, WI

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

Makes sense, I had it high on my vest so it never really bothered me while I was in the prone. Now that I think of it, I started wearing it on my vest so when I was driving, a M2A3 CFV, so I always had a weapon on my person because wearing my full vest didn't work out to well when you were stuck in the hell hole for days at a time.

I didn't have to crawl through any windows but with everything I was carrying on those dismounted patrols I would have had other issues with all the crap we were mandated to have on our vests. It's funny how my command took away the modularity of the MOLLE systems we were issued and made us all have the same setup on our vests.

I was just curious on why the Serpa is considered a POG holster?

Edited by Virius, 01 June 2015 - 01:14 PM.

Posted Image
"A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow." - William Tecumseh Sherman

#20 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

I don't know man, there's a lot of haters out there. Some people claim they're unsafe because it causes you to pull the trigger during your draw, but that's a load of crap, improper training is the cause of those negligent discharges. I've heard a couple of stories about guys getting debris caught in the mechanism causing their pistol to be stuck in the holster, but it's never happened to me. I've known plenty of pipe hitters who have used serpas, and I've always preferred them to safariland. but they have managed to get a bad rep from the interwebs. 

• CalicoJack likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users