50 replies to this topic

#21 Appattack

Appattack

Mate

• Life Member
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:29 PM

Who has the 5.11 Rush 24 long term use? How is it holding up? I need a new work EDC bag that can be tossed into a front seat, or carried into the ER/Buildings and carry everything I need from a simple shift into a long double if it  has to, and then pull double duty as a weekend fun bag. The condor bag I have now was doing great, but the weekend portion is starting to tear it up pretty good.

I've put my Rush24 through multiple Goruck events and for the past 1.5 years I've kept a 40lb weight in it and walk with it almost every single day. It lives in the back of my (shelled) pickup truck and deploy it for walks from there......... Needless to say it's been used and abused and has held up great........... For the durability and price-point I'm a huge 5.11 bag fan.

I own the 72, 24, and 12.

For traveling however, I opted for something a bit classier and more discreet and ponied-up for a GR2 and it fits the bill nicely. For more "tactical" endeavors though I feel the GR bags are inferior to more traditional tactical bags (like 5.11).

• PsychoFish and HTEngineer like this
Muster 2, GR Challenges 840/1036, Navigator 006

#22 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:51 AM

I'm running a Vertx Gamut for EDC with work. I've got it loaded with all my EDC gear plus gear for work. Few weeks ago I was able to pick up a plate from AR500 for it as well. Best damned pack i've ever owned. I also have a RAIDII from Ats Tactical that i use for rucking, i've also added a bladder to it and will put my plate in it when i mountain bike - its a helluva workout! I've also got the 5.11 All Hazards Nitro and the Rush 10 - thinking about selling the nitro but still on the fence... its a great pack just dont use it so its just sitting in my closet at the moment. The Rush 10 I'm thinking about turning into a medpack/EDC gear pack for the family car. I also ran the 5.11 Covrt 18 prior to the Gamut which my wife is now using

#23 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

I've put my Rush24 through multiple Goruck events and for the past 1.5 years I've kept a 40lb weight in it and walk with it almost every single day. It lives in the back of my (shelled) pickup truck and deploy it for walks from there......... Needless to say it's been used and abused and has held up great........... For the durability and price-point I'm a huge 5.11 bag fan.

For traveling however, I opted for something a bit classier and more discreet and ponied-up for a GR2 and it fits the bill nicely. For more "tactical" endeavors though I feel the GR bags are inferior to more traditional tactical bags (like 5.11).

Good to hear!! I snagged the multicam one yesterday on an impulse buy. Came home, and loaded her up and pimped it out. So far I'm liking it! Should be a great little bag for my EDC and travel needs!
  • Appattack likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#24 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

Team,

Hazard 4 Switchback for a daily work carry (computer, files, ect). I've also packed 1-2 days of clothes in it for bump and go plane trips

Maxpedition GTG Versapack for my car bag

Looking to get a Hazard 4 Plan B evac sling for a bag I'm designing.

La'

• DirtyTrigger likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#25 Koldsteel

Koldsteel

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:39 AM

I have a Camelback Motherlode in the truck.

A large ALICE w the hellcat system, basically for whatever.

A North Face Mathes Crest 85L for general backpacking.

And a AWS med/trauma pack for the band aids..

Posted Image

#26 HTEngineer

HTEngineer

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

I just took my GR2 on a 4 day trip in OR by commercial airline. It really is THE travel backpack. It was the only bag I took and I was able to fit everything (too much) in it. My only complaint is I want to have a smaller bag that can piggyback, maybe rig something up like a HPG tara or attache? It would be nice to have a "personal item" on the plane (sometimes your seat isn't close to your carry on) which has all my easier access stuff and something less huge for light hiking, climbing, and stuff. This time I just left my clothes in the motel and took the GR2, which worked well, and held all my camera stuff, which is a ever growing volume... 

Edited by HTEngineer, 15 May 2015 - 02:53 PM.

• Appattack likes this

#27 nitaliano

nitaliano

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

All the great feedback on the Vertx Gamut inspired me to order one...I am very, very pleased with it!  

• SwatDawg335 likes this

#28 tdbarge

tdbarge

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

8D2EED54-47F3-4E5E-82FF-9FF0838A78F7_zpsA

ATS RAID 2.5 .

I've had a Khard 30, awesome bag, might get another as funds allow, had a Vertx Courier, again awesome bag, may try a Gamut at some point. But I really wanted a big open pattern design. Very little organization and just empty space. I also wanted relatively low-profile so no PALS webbing. Talked with the folks at ATS and they said they could do a RAID 2 without the webbing. This is just what I wanted and even my wife likes it...

#29 Refleks

Refleks

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

Vanquest Trident 20

It's laid out like a Maxpedition Falcon 2 but without the middle compartment so it doesn't stick out so rediculously.   Or you can see it as a slightly enlarged Maxpedition Sitka with two straps instead of one.   Not too big, not too small, I'm playing around with different configurations but so far I'm loving it.

(stock photo)

fefbb4ae432afa11e4e6f9a60a081899.jpg

7L3radr.jpg

#30 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:43 PM

I've used the 5.11 Rush 24 for about five years now. The first three were heavy college use and some rucking. Unfortunately, not so much since graduating.. The bag is still in great shape other than the chest strap that comes loose under heavy loads. I'm planning on setting it up as my EDC/GHB. I would definitely recommend this product.

#31 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

Hey guys and ladies,

This may seem like a misnomer but can anyone recommend a decent tactical day pack that doesnt cost half my paycheck?  I have a couple older Maxpedition bags but they are 72 hour packs and way too large for EDC. I need something I can easily carry 20 lbs in and a 3 liter bladder but under 100 bucks. I carry a Grey Ghost for my duty pack. But i need something for my daily hiking and workouts. Does such a pack exist? I hate to drop 200 bucks on a pack that I am using for day hiking and rucking.

#32 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:31 PM

I hear ya about not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on a backpack. But the bottom line is, you get what ya pay for. Buy once, cry once.

I'm done with cheap ass packs. I've done it, repaired them, over repaired them, and none of it beats paying for quality.

Personally, for daily use and rucking, I'm now a huge fan of GORUCK's stuff. So far, it's THE most comfortable pack I've used with heavy weight. It's very simple in design, meaning there isn't a crap load of small pockets and zippers, but I've found that to be a blessing. I use small IFAK pouches to organize my stuff.

For longer treks and backpacking trips, I've used a ton of different packs. I had the opportunity to borrow an Eberlestock F3M Half track. When funds allow, it's my new backpacking pack.

Point is, I've been there. Many of us have. I bet you have too. When you need a pack to function properly and stand up to abuse over the years, you just won't get that from a $99 special.

I know a lot of people have love for 5.11. I do not. I used to, but I've repaired my Rush 72 twice, and now it needs more repair. I'll post pics later when I'm near it to show, but the point is, quality counts. And it usually isn't cheap

#33 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:14 AM

For bang for buck and build quality, tactical tailor is probably the best option.

The removable operator is a great bag for EDC.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#34 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

Here's the pic I promised. It's splitting right at the center seam of the yoke. Putting a seam there is a design flaw in my mind. It's just asking for problems under load.

This started after I added about 20 lbs to the normal load, which is only about 20 lbs itself. I only use this for carrying necessities from the truck to work and back.

The other repairs were fixed and I never took pics. Both lower anchor points to the shoulder straps came unstitched. Since I live close to the 5.11 distribution center, I swung by when the first one popped. After some haggling (because I had no proof of purchase) they stitched it up for free. The second strap came loose about two months later. This time, I didn't bother driving the 2 hours to 5.11 and had an upholstery shop restitch it. Both repairs look similar.

Back when those seems let loose, I was using it for backpacking and hunting. A typical load weighed about 50 lbs. In my mind, 40-50 lbs is not much of a load. It would appear that 5.11's stitching is sub par. At least it was 7 years ago when I got this.

I've heard great things about 5.11. I just have not experienced them myself. I have a couple 5.11 range bags that are old and are holding up well, but they really aren't abused. The fact that someone has taken a 5.11 pack through several GORUCK events surprises me given my experience. But maybe I got that one pack that sucked. Who knows. I also wasn't impressed that I had to argue to get it repaired the first time. It's not a cheap pack (money wise), and I'd prefer to deal with companies that stand behind their products. I know not every high end pack maker would have fixed it for free either. That's why the brands I choose to use are few

Attached Files

Edited by pira114, 01 September 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#35 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:19 AM

P.S. Just so happens the GR1 from GORUCK is on sale right now
  • juicer5.56 likes this

#36 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

Salty,

Thanks for intel. I like GoRuck too. I guess i need to think smaller. My MAX packs are just way too big and have a ton of pockets that take up space. I really like the Covert Operator by Grey Ghost. I will check out the GR1 as well and tactical taylor though im not as familiar with TT.  I have a buddy who is in the marines. He keeps telling me to buy something USGI off of ebay but lets face it, EBAY can often be a scam.  

#37 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

Juicer,grey ghost is a sub brand of tactical tailor so you'll be used to the quality of workmanship

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#38 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

Really? Good to know. Thanks Salty

#39 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

Really? Good to know. Thanks Salty

FYI, we're not all named Salty Dog. Those are the Karma titles. Screen names are above that

#40 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:59 PM

Wow! Sorry Pira! that was a long couple of days of 18 hour shifts. My apologies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users