50 replies to this topic

#1 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

Hey guys, I'm seriously considering buying a Glock for my EDC. What I'd like to know is the advantages and why you carry one instead of another brand of firearm.

Also I'm going to go with a 45cal so any and all input is greatly appreciated as usual

Thanks

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

While I loved my .45 Kimber I don't know that I'd ever go back to .45 for a daily carry they are big, heavy and the round capacity is always debatable.

If you're already sold on the .45 I don't blame you, there may be a million reasons to love that caliber.

I too would love to hear some Glock fans input.  Not being a Glock person myself I'm trying to figure out the mystique.

Edited by DStevenson, 16 May 2015 - 08:54 AM.

• DieselD likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

I chose glock because first of all I find it to be a comfortable design that I can shoot reliably. I can use mags from full size glocks if I like for more capacity. The controls will be the same if I decide I ever want a subcompact or something even smaller. And of course price, I dont mind beating up a 450$ glock/15$ mags. Oh and holsters can usually work for a variety of pistols, if you have a holster for your full size your compact will fit in it just fine.

The only thing a glock really needs is a new set of sights, screw the trigger work and any other jazz that you would need on an M&P or some other pistols.

• DieselD likes this

#4 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

Glocks are solid simple pistols I own 3.  Don't ever let a revolver guy tell you his revolver is the simplest gun out there they usually have in excess of 120+ parts while a Glock has 33~.  The pistols because they are so popular have a wide variety of accessories.  They are also very easy to work on if you want to change anything out (I believe my record was around 1:45 for stripping the slide all the way down and reassembling blindfolded....I was bored that day)

If you have specific questions please don't hesitate to ask I have 3 glocks already with two more I am looking at getting and they are the only pistols I currently own although I have owned quite a few other brands.

On .45 vs other calibers I highly recommend reading the following article about why the FBI is swapping to 9mm.  Basically, by going with 45 you are going to get a thicker gun with less capacity and no measurable increase in terminal performance.  By switching to 9mm you are able to maintain the same level of terminal performance (Assuming you are using modern expanding bullets) while getting a thinner package with higher capacity.  

http://soldiersystem...ning-division/ 

• DieselD and Fivesenenguy like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#5 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

I may have to challenge your time one of these days...

#6 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

Glock 19 with TLR-1HL is my off duty gun. It's compact, good round capacity, and even with the light it's easy to conceal. Mags are cheap. Huge aftermarket part selection to choose from, and for fuck's sake, it's the AK of handguns.

If I could carry a Glock at work, I totally would.

• DieselD likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#7 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

1. It matches my duty gun
2. Every configuration is pretty much the same. If i need a compact, or if I'm carrying a full size, it's got the same manual of arms and shoots the same, and can share mags
3. Simple and reliable

Edited by PSDRyan, 16 May 2015 - 02:35 PM.

• Appattack and DieselD like this

#8 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

I may have to challenge your time one of these days...

Lol You should come on down and we can go head to head

#9 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Ohh myyy...I charge for that

#10 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:05 AM

Ohh myyy...I charge for that

I will have to find a pull-up bar to try adding upside down into the mix. 

#11 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:09 AM

Wow thanks for all the replies and information!!

It seems that there are way more reasons to buy a Glock than I realized.

B3dlam, thanks for the link to the article and points on the 9mm vs 45cal. But all I get is the 404 error. But I carry a 45cal now and the reason is that a few years ago in our small rural community a guy on meth had been shooting at the officers that were on scene to arrest him and was wearing enough clothing that the 9mm wouldn't penetrate. The last Deputy arrived and his 45cal did. So in my opinion there is more to the 45 than the 9mm. I feel safer with a 230gr 45cal round. Most around here do carry 45's now.

If I think of anymore questions I will surly ask.

Oh and 1:45 to strip and reassemble is quite the feet. This adds to the reasons, the simplicity of the weapon seems like a stong point for sure

Edited by DieselD, 17 May 2015 - 04:10 AM.

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#12 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:25 AM

and for fuck's sake, it's the AK of handguns.

So does this make B3dlam the Mange of Glocks? rofl

• SKD_Tactical and Jersey0311 like this

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#13 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,599 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:32 AM

Everyone loves a gun that rarely breaks. It's running it to that point of breaking that's fun.
  • DieselD likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#14 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

Wow thanks for all the replies and information!!

It seems that there are way more reasons to buy a Glock than I realized.

B3dlam, thanks for the link to the article and points on the 9mm vs 45cal. But all I get is the 404 error. But I carry a 45cal now and the reason is that a few years ago in our small rural community a guy on meth had been shooting at the officers that were on scene to arrest him and was wearing enough clothing that the 9mm wouldn't penetrate. The last Deputy arrived and his 45cal did. So in my opinion there is more to the 45 than the 9mm. I feel safer with a 230gr 45cal round. Most around here do carry 45's now.

If I think of anymore questions I will surly ask.

Oh and 1:45 to strip and reassemble is quite the feet. This adds to the reasons, the simplicity of the weapon seems like a stong point for sure

I posted the entirety of the text in a new thread in the Secondary forum.  Also bravo on the pistol choice there are plenty of great pistols out there Glock is just the one I keep coming back to. 

As to the situation that happened near you its hard to say unfortunately generally speaking 9mm has significantly better velocity although 45 beats it in sectional density.  Due to the dynamic nature of a situation like that its impossible to tell what exactly happened.  Did the .45 have less layers of fabric to penetrate due to the suspects movement then prior shots with the 9mm? Was it fired at a closer range?  Without knowing all the specifics its hard to formulate a good idea of why things happened the way they did.  That being said caliber is a personal choice that everyone has to make for themselves.  I would definitely check out the full write up in the other subsection of the forum (link below) and on a side note .45 is just for men that can't handle 10mm ;-) 10mm gives you nearly a 50% increase in muzzle energy assuming you get full power loads not the 40S&W in a 10mm case loads.  

http://itstactical.c...sing-a-caliber/

• DieselD likes this

#15 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

For me, it is what I used on duty so I'm very familiar with it.

Extremely reliable, given good ammo, provides more than adequate accuracy for a defensive pistol, the design is dead simple and requires minimal maintenance, and replacement parts are cheap if you ever need them,

• DieselD likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#16 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

Speaking to the durability of the Glock pistol:
A few years ago I ran an experiment on my G19. At the time I was shooting weekly with some friends putting at least 50 rounds a week through the gun. Under these conditions, I didn't clean it for a year. No cleaning and no lubrication. Ammo varied from S&B to Magtech to Fiocci to American eagle. At the end of all this I had yet to experience a single malfunction.
  • DieselD likes this

#17 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,599 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

Speaking to the durability of the Glock pistol:
A few years ago I ran an experiment on my G19. At the time I was shooting weekly with some friends putting at least 50 rounds a week through the gun. Under these conditions, I didn't clean it for a year. No cleaning and no lubrication. Ammo varied from S&B to Magtech to Fiocci to American eagle. At the end of all this I had yet to experience a single malfunction.

Nice. But did you shoot Remington UMC? Cause that stuff is horrible.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#18 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

Not they I remember. American Eagle is pretty dirty though

#19 NLYE

NLYE

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 67 posts
  • Locationin your rearview

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

Glock 19 with TLR-1HL is my off duty gun. It's compact, good round capacity, and even with the light it's easy to conceal. Mags are cheap. Huge aftermarket part selection to choose from, and for fuck's sake, it's the AK of handguns.

If I could carry a Glock at work, I totally would.

What are you carrying on duty?

vt9QnZk.png

"A Gentleman would not want to appear armed, but would not be so foolish as to go unarmed.

Always be a Gentleman. Alway be courteous. Always be ready to kill everyone in the room."

#20 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:24 AM

Well I think I'll be getting a Glock. You guys have given so many reasons to do so.

I'm actually amazed to not hear anything negative about these weapons.

B3dlam, I saw the link and read the article you posted. Thanks.

I will be going with a 9mm model. The 10mm would be a good choice, but I'm really looking for a better EDC weapon.

But I really do appreciate the added info here.

• Quietmike and Everglad28 like this

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users