DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:22 AM

Any thoughts and oinions on these?

http://www.skdtac.co...t-p/ret.103.htm

Thinking this would be a better EDC because of it's smaller size.

Thanks team

• SKD_Tactical likes this

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

There was a thread on here when these first came out.

http://itstactical.c...ats-tourniquet/

As I understand there have been some newer studies that were more positive for the RATS. I agree with the previous thread that it does not look like the most efficient choice that there is, but undoubtedly it is better than nothing. It also seems easier to put on one handed compared to a CAT.

Edited by smokey, 23 May 2015 - 09:41 AM.

• DieselD likes this

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

Failed in three separate training evolutions. It is small, better than absolutely nothing, but not worth it. I'd carry a SWAT-T first. But prefer a CAT. Or SOF-T.

To be fair, two of those failings could be attributed to repeated training use. The other one was brand new.

The first two failings, the band simply snapped off the hardware. The third, it held up, but failed to completely stop bleeding. The general consensus was that the multiple wraps started maybe too far apart, then rolled into each other. In that scenario, the students quickly (and correctly ) decided to simply add a CAT directly above the RATS. And that worked.

Not a scientific test at all. But everyone left that class decidedly against carrying one.

So far, my opinion, is these three in this order:

CAT
SOF-T
SWAT-T

SWAT-T is best used as a secondary or back up TQ in my mind. But it's still the best of the extremely compact TQs if that's all you can carry.

This is all just my opinion. While I've been through several Tactical Trauma Management classes, I'm still not a medical professional. So take that for the price ya paid for it
  • Koopa and DieselD like this

#4 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

Save your money. I bought one to play with. Initial thoughts were positive, but that was it. After playing with it for a while, I had more questions than answers. Seems a lot of people did. No answers were provided, and when the questions were asked, people were berated and mocked for asking by the company selling them. Dig deeper and do your own research, but I have yet to find a single reputable backing of them. I'll stick to my CATs and SOF-Ts
  • DieselD likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#5 tdbarge

tdbarge

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

Cool form factor, but I'm not convinced. Bought one to play around with several months ago and while its not too hard to put on, but there are still some things that give me pause. Some cardiologist writing a letter about it doesn't convince me either, sorry. I'm a cynical bastard normally and straight up asshole when it comes to potentially life saving equipment. Until there are legit peer-reviewed studies about it I'll stick with my CATs and SOF-TT Wide TQs....

• DieselD likes this

#6 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:17 AM

Thanks I couldn't really see the actual positive points to this but figured I'd ask.

I carry a SWAT-T with me daily in my ITS EDC Trauma kit. And have 2 SOFT-T in my bag.

This was just a thought as a possible carry along as a secondary.

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,599 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of thE design of the RATS. Hence why I have so many CATs stashed around the house, truck and at work in my toolbox. I have 1 SWAT-T which came in the ITS EDC trauma kit which isnon my person at all times.
  • DieselD likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#8 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:50 AM

The benefit of the RATS is the size. I can coil it up and and stow it in a back pocket and it doesn't feel like anything is there. Like mentioned above, it may not be the best tool, but it's certainly better than nothing. I'd ideally have a CAT, but the size of the RATS lends itself to be on me more frequently than a larger TQ. 

Edit: Grammar

Edited by x2humbucker, 29 May 2015 - 09:39 AM.

• DieselD likes this

#9 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of thE design of the RATS. Hence why I have so many CATs stashed around the house, truck and at work in my toolbox. I have 1 SWAT-T which came in the ITS EDC trauma kit which isnon my person at all times.

What is the difference between a CAT and a SOF-T?

From what I can see there is really no difference, but I've not had a CAT in my hand to really check one out

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#10 tdbarge

tdbarge

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:05 AM

What is the difference between a CAT and a SOF-T?

From what I can see there is really no difference, but I've not had a CAT in my hand to really check one out

There are definitely differences in their construction and materials used, but no real difference in how they are applied...

The CAT has velcro (on the end pulled to tighten it and on the outer side of the loop that goes over the extremity) on the band to help secure it, the common complaint is this makes it too difficult to put on as the velcro can get stuck on it self, the CAT also has a plastic windlass and there are a few anecdotes of never used CATs breaking in real use situations.

The regular SOF-TT has the screw that can help secure the band once tightened down and a metal windlass.

The SOF-TT Wide has a wider band, no screw and still keeps the metal windlass.

If I get a chance I can try and post some comparison photos between a CAT and SOF-T Wide...

• DieselD likes this

#11 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

SOF-T also has a kind of buckle instead of the velcro. But yeah, basically what TDBARGE said.

For what it's worth, CAT has been using a windlass with a metal rod molded in for a while now. Still plastic, but reinforced with metal.

I prefer the CAT. The SOF is really not bad and if I were forced to carry it, I wouldn't think twice about it. But I find the CAT much easier to apply both one and two handed.

The breaking windlass of the CAT is a documented concern. But from what I've read and heard, it wasn't any more common than SOF failures. And both have had more failures in training than in the field I believe. Training TQs get over used, so I consider that when making a choice.

As for the metal screw thingy, I found it useless. I'm glad they ditched it on the wide
  • DieselD likes this

#12 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:26 AM

Thanks Guys. I have 3 SOF-TT 1 of them is the older style. So at least now I know the difference and greatly appreciate the input

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#13 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:48 AM

I figured I'd bump thread back up. At the DAM class we used 4 different TQ's.

CAT

SOFT-T (older style and new)

SWAT

RATS

I do agree that the CAT and SOFT-T are the way to go, but the RATS may be a good choice to apply first to at least slow the bleeding to get the other 2 on after. The SWAT is a great TQ, but to apply it 1 handed, with blood making things a bit more slippery, may be a challenge.

As I said I tried one real quickly, so I've ordered one to try out and see how it works for me.

I'll follow this up with my opinion/experience after it arrives

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#14 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:06 AM

I did pick up a RATS a while back since they were so cheap, and I honestly cant say I hate it. I do seem to be able to stop circulation to the area and it is very easy to apply one handed. I do agree that there is a higher change of tissue damage due to the size of the band but if its damage to the limb or your life im sure the choice is obvious. 

Time will tell if the RATS is as effective as a CAT/SOFT-T but for now, in my mind the RATS is good daily TQ if you arent the kind of person to drag an EDC bag around. 

I still despise the company for attempting to mislead customers with the TCCC approved label but that is my only complaint at the moment.

• DieselD likes this

#15 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:43 AM

Thanks for the input. Actually at the DAM class Ross had said there is much less tissue damage done than many of us were taught.

A limb can still be saved upto 11 hours after a TQ is applied

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#16 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the input. Actually at the DAM class Ross had said there is much less tissue damage done than many of us were taught.
A limb can still be saved upto 11 hours after a TQ is applied

While this may be true, and I've heard of successful limb savings after longer than 11 hours in a TQ, the purpose of a TQ is to save a life. Period. The focus on which brand is best for saving the limb is a marketing tool.

All things being equal, I'll use the one with the design that doesn't lead to limb loss. But nothing is ever equal. So I'll take function first, durability second, and design features last. Price isn't a concern.

Edited by pira114, 02 August 2015 - 06:26 AM.

• DieselD, MightyP and EMSWxSAR like this

#17 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

I also don't think price is a concern. What I am getting at here is that IF you don't have a SOTT-W or CAT with you at the moment you need it, will a SWAT be all that easy to apply one handed while there is blood all over?

I'm surly not trying to argue, but having practiced with a SWAT one handed, I can see it could be quite difficult to apply in such a situation.

The RATS being applied to stop bleeding at first then another TQ put on after. Just thinking out loud and seeking opinions more than anything

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#18 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:52 AM

I've applied a SWAT covered on blood. No issues two handed. I've applied it one handed dry in training. No issues.

One hand, covered in blood, self rescue? I can't say. I know it's possible, I just can't say how easy. What I CAN say is I've never seen a SWAT T fail when applied properly and I've never seen one fail due to malfunction. I can't say the same thing for the RATS
  • DieselD and EMSWxSAR like this

#19 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

Thanks I appreciate your input. Since I have never had to apply either in a real situation.
I have had to apply a makeshift TQ many years ago, before any of the TQ's we now have were on the market. So make that 20+/- years ago.

My consideration for the RATS is I am a farmer and work alone a great deal of the time.
IF I need to apply a TQ to myself in a one handed really bad situation I want to be sure what I pull out of my pocket will help me in that critical few seconds I have.
As I said the RATS would only be used as an immediate stop and another TQ would be applied right after it.

Edited by DieselD, 02 August 2015 - 12:20 PM.

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#20 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

My consideration for the RATS is I am a farmer and work alone a great deal of the time.
IF I need to apply a TQ to myself in a one handed really bad situation I want to be sure what I pull out of my pocket will help me in that critical few seconds I have.
As I said the RATS would only be used as an immediate stop and another TQ would be applied right after it.

In that case, you're working around a lot of equipment that can cause amputation right quick. So I'd go CAT or SOF-T. Why even worry about compact? Go with equipment that works, ensure you keep up your training on it, and drive on.

You can take them out of packaging and refold them pretty small. Or just carry them on a belt in a soft holder. I'm seriously recommending you don't worry about how big it is or what it looks like. You're alone anyway right? Carry the best. And not just a TQ. A decent medic bag should be pretty close to you.

I used to work ranches. I'm a bit familiar with the types of accidents you're worried about. You have reason to be concerned.
  • DieselD likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users