I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://www.emergency...rabilities.html

#2 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

This is actually getting a little coverage out there, but the government seems to be downplaying it.

89BccLb.png

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

Why this is a story I don't know. Seems to me any info about this should not be general public type knowledge. Should be highly classified.

It's like advertising a hole in the Death Star
  • SKD_Tactical likes this

#4 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

I can agree with you to an extent pria114, but the amount of money to see the Thousand Standing Around and just harassing most people is an important point in this.

A 95% failure rate just shows how many are getting paid to do basically nothing. At least NOT their job,

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#5 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

Can we keep our shoes on now?

#6 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

Can we keep our shoes on now?

Don't be so demanding... its not like you have rights, or the assumption of innocence, or...

• DieselD likes this

89BccLb.png

#7 rottenit

rottenit

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in MN thats not cool

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Sure fix for this is the anal probe.
  • mangeface likes this

#8 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:34 PM

Sure fix for this is the anal probe.

Have you been reading the TSA's dream journal again?

#9 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:00 PM

I can agree with you to an extent pria114, but the amount of money to see the Thousand Standing Around and just harassing most people is an important point in this.
A 95% failure rate just shows how many are getting paid to do basically nothing. At least NOT their job,

I get what you're saying. But I bet there are a LOT more items of concern that would rile the public when waste is concerned within that agency. I just have a huge problem with putting OpSec concerns in writing.

To me, it's the same as writing an article (or making an official statement) about SEALS doing their job. Or SF doing theirs.

It's fine to say "we found some serious concerns during an audit, and they're being addressed at the highest levels." It's not ok to say "we can't seem to stop anyone from bringing explosive devices on our planes, so go for it."

Which is essentially what they said. But yeah, they need better training, better management, and more budget oversight.
  • DieselD likes this

#10 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:42 AM

I agree with you, actually showing where the explosive was placed was a bad idea for sure.

Yes they do need all you mentioned, but there are some that are aware and do their job. As well as some who have lost their lives stopping the wrong folks from getting on a plane.

• pira114 likes this

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#11 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

No surprises here. I've been saying for years that we need to take a page from the Israelis in regards to airport security (such as at Ben Gurion); specifically, they use behaviour profiling and observation to weed out people most likely up to no good (Wagner, 2014), choosing not to hassle the elderly, sexually violate juveniles, or rely on obviously inadequate x-ray machines whose health impacts are still in debate.

As far as making details about compromising TSA's failures public, I can see both sides of the argument but lean more to the side of informing the public; I think this kind of failure absolutely needs to be broadcast so taxpayers can see that their money is essentially being wasted and so we can work on forcing improvements in procedures, changes in policy, etc. On the other hand, I agree that some info probably should not be made public since it could potentially maybe somehow be utilized to compromise security. So, specifics of HOW the red teams succeeded should not be made public but the rate of success on their part absolutely should be made widely known to the general public so we can hold officials accountable.

Wagner, D. (2014). What Israeli airport security can teach the world. Retrieved 4 June 15 from http://www.huffingto..._b_4978149.html

• CalicoJack, Koopa, DieselD and 1 other like this

#12 Stoner

Stoner

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

No surprises here. I've been saying for years that we need to take a page from the Israelis in regards to airport security (such as at Ben Gurion); specifically, they use behaviour profiling and observation to weed out people most likely up to no good (Wagner, 2014), choosing not to hassle the elderly, sexually violate juveniles, or rely on obviously inadequate x-ray machines whose health impacts are still in debate.

As far as making details about compromising TSA's failures public, I can see both sides of the argument but lean more to the side of informing the public; I think this kind of failure absolutely needs to be broadcast so taxpayers can see that their money is essentially being wasted and so we can work on forcing improvements in procedures, changes in policy, etc. On the other hand, I agree that some info probably should not be made public since it could potentially maybe somehow be utilized to compromise security. So, specifics of HOW the red teams succeeded should not be made public but the rate of success on their part absolutely should be made widely known to the general public so we can hold officials accountable.

Wagner, D. (2014). What Israeli airport security can teach the world. Retrieved 4 June 15 from http://www.huffingto..._b_4978149.html

I spent some time in Israel about 10 yrs ago, it's absolutely amazing how differently their attitude toward security and homeland defense is. I believe the key their philosophies lies in unilateral support from both the citizens and goverment. I was very impressed with the level of awareness, not only the gov / mil, but also by every citizen.

#13 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

I spent some time in Israel about 10 yrs ago, it's absolutely amazing how differently their attitude toward security and homeland defense is. I believe the key their philosophies lies in unilateral support from both the citizens and goverment. I was very impressed with the level of awareness, not only the gov / mil, but also by every citizen.

Well, you tend to have a different outlook, and more public support, when people keep lobbing rockets at you. Just sayin
  • pira114 likes this

#14 rottenit

rottenit

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in MN thats not cool

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

Do you think that the citizens in Israel "own" there security more than the people here?

Well, you tend to have a different outlook, and more public support, when people keep lobbing rockets at you. Just sayin

Yep I think that would change peoples attitudes a bit.

#15 Stoner

Stoner

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

Pira, your absolutely correct, they live everyday in an much higher threat, than we are accustom to. Still it surprises me how soon, we as a nation forget about 9/11 and how ignorant the general public is to the real threats we face as Americans. But no worries, if you ever need an update on Bruce Jenner's transformation, stop and talk to pretty much anyone, and I'm sure they be able to tell you all about it.

Rotten it, yes, isreali citizens own their security, in my opinion. Remember that following high school, each citizen serves 3 years in the IDF, so everyone at least has a backround of some sort in national defense and awareness. Even on the weekend or on holiday, the enlisted soldiers bring their weapons home with them. It is strange to go the market or anywhere in public and see every 18 to 21 year old walking around with a M-4, slung across their back. Imagine that in our country, lol. I also noticed that people didn't really seem to mind sacrificing individual liberties or rights in the name of homeland defense.
  • rottenit and DieselD like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: red team, TSA, explosives, security, vulnerabilities

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users