Photo

Does anyone keep a dog as a First Responder?

Dogs K-9

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

Video day is Saturday rain or shine. I will try to get it up Saturday night on YouTube and I will post a link.

To answer questions about Malinois I will say this. I never recommend a Malinois as a first dog, especially if you are wanting to do bite work. Your first Malinois is going to get teeth on you at some point, most likely by accident but it still hurts. A German Shepherd will do the same but tend to use their heads more and will be a lot easier to learn on. German Shepherds are great dogs and you can find plenty of great dogs for good prices. North Coast K-9 in Monroeville, Ohio is an excellent place to find dogs. Nick and Tammy will ask you questions about your needs and get you setup right. I don't work for them or get discounts for recommendations or sales. It's just my honest opinion.

Any working dog with propper drive will eat your house if you don't work them. So throw the ball and work on obedience as much as you can. It builds a great bond, burns fat off both of you, and will keep your house intact. That is just the way it is. You can crate them while you are at work or get a 10' x 10' outside kennel to put them in while you are away. I souls also recommend putting a 5/4 deck floor in the kennel to keep them out of the mud and it makes kennel cleaning much faster. You can make a bleach water solution to clean with and a pressure washer is awesome or good hose pressure from an outside faucet. The dog advantage is for while you are home. If your bite dog gets a hold of someone in your house when you are not home you will most likely payout more than if you had just let the troglodyte take your stuff. He will either kill the intruder, ruin the carpet, and break furniture in the struggle costing you a lot in clean up and legal fees while debating what a great son or father the dead guy in the living room is. Or the bad guy will kill your dog, ruin the carpet, break furnature in the struggle, then steal your stuff and now you have to replace everything. The blood from either is going to rot the wood under the padding so that will need to be replaced too. My house is only empty for 2 hours a day so my dog is pretty much permanent in the home except daily exercise and free time to just be a dog in his kennel.
  • bigfoot likes this
Past behavior is indicative of future performance!
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#22 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

Great!!! looking foward to watching it!!!

EIu5PDO.png

#23 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:16 PM

Ok guys, the video is finally uploading to my YouTube channel now. My channel is Shawn Dobson. I know real creative huh? I will post a URL link as soon as it is ready. Sorry it took so long, it's not great and I will get a more detailed video up ASAP. Thanks for being patient.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#24 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

Apparently it is a bigger pain in the ass to put a url on ITS than it is to make, cut, and upload a video to YouTube. Everytime I click link or any other button in the damn tool bar I have to close the page to the forum and reopen a new one. So the video can be viewed by searching "Dax Sit" channel name Shawn Dobson. 

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#25 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

For everyones convenience.

Edited by DeathwatchDoc, 09 August 2015 - 07:04 PM.

• MightyP likes this

89BccLb.png

#26 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:04 PM

Apparently it is a bigger pain in the ass to put a url on ITS than it is to make, cut, and upload a video to YouTube. Everytime I click link or any other button in the damn tool bar I have to close the page to the forum and reopen a new one. So the video can be viewed by searching "Dax Sit" channel name Shawn Dobson. 

Just copy paste the actual URL not the shortened one and the rest is automatic. 

89BccLb.png

#27 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

Ok Doc, thanks for your help and for not making me feel like a dumb ass...lol. Two kids, new vids, and all. Thanks again I will remember that next time.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#28 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

Ok Doc, thanks for your help and for not making me feel like a dumb ass...lol. Two kids, new vids, and all. Thanks again I will remember that next time.

I do it so seldom I had to post it and then edit until I remembered how I made it work last time. So you really needn't feel like a dumb ass.
  • Coydog1254 likes this

89BccLb.png

#29 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:30 PM

It would be interesting to watch. I've toyed with the  idea of training my next dog for SAR work, but I haven't been 100% if I can  dedicate the required time. These videos might help me make a more educated choice. 

#30 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:12 PM

Guys just a quick update. I have my mic showing up Saturday and I finally got my Mal through his very expensive intestinal issue. He is ready to work again and I promise another video next week. This one will be better quality and more informative. I will be using my German Shorthaired Pointer for some of these videos so you can see a dog that does not know the exercises. My Mal is already obedience trained so it is difficult to bait him without him just dropping into position. Thanks for your patience and I give you my word it will pay off. I will also show some bite work later on this year but I don't do to much when it's hot. Have a great day and again my apologies for the long wait.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#31 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:18 AM

I had an English Mastiff for a short time that was very strong on protection but the problem was she couldn't learn the difference between friend and foe. If the door opened and it wasn't family she was on it. It was all I could do to remove her from the room.   

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#32 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:53 AM

Socialization is the biggest part of training. Before any bite work is ever done the dog should be well socialized. If there is an issue it will show up then and can be handled safely or the dog is removed from the program.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#33 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

Ok, the new video is uploading and will be ready tomorrow, I have to go to work early. It should be ready at any point through the day, as I will publish it around 4am Eastern. I will add the link when I get home tomorrow to make it easier, that will be around 4pm or so. Thanks guys and the videos will come much quicker now that he is better and the weather is getting cooler. Have a great day.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#34 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:16 PM

Here it is guys.

• bigfoot likes this
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#35 Breach

Breach

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

Thevulpini, I've had dozens of mals come through for training. There has been 1, my current dog, that I can trust loose around the house while I'm not home.
Mals/Dutchies make HORRIBLE pets, lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dogs, K-9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users