Photo

My new bag, and way of thinking about carry.

CUSTOM EDC DAYPACK MOLLE CARRY

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

For the most part, this will be pretty familiar fodder for you guys, but I thought there's something wrong with the way these posts usually go. Ordinarily, we post up a load of pics and lists and thoughts about a bag or rig, and pretty much admire each other's cool stuff. But that's pretty pointless to me without context. What are you carrying on person? How far away is medical help? How long are you away from home, and how far? What are your colleagues and family equipped to deal with? What's legal where you are? Are you in a city, airport, federal building or a farm far away from the urban sprawl? How do people dress where you are?

When I started out on all this tacticool stuff, I pretty much bought stuff that looked cool, did a job and I could afford (barely). I think that's changed. Now, when I buy something, there's one question I ask; What capabiity does this add? Because of this, I've cut out most of the doohickeys I used to like to carry and pared down my carry to stuff that I need. There's a bias to things that do many jobs well for little real estate, those that get you out of a bind, and those that do one job very well.

With this in mind, here's what's on my person every day. Only thing that ever changes is what watch I wear.
20390532241_b4ca170921_c.jpg

SAK - Victorinox Minichamp - Crazy utility to it's size

Pen - Caran D'Ache 849 with a fisher refill. Clicky for ease of use but still solid metal

Light - FourSevens Noisy Cricket Quark - 800 lumens on every click, small, rechargable, low mode accessible on twist of bezel. Glow tape to find at night.

Knife - Spyderco UKPK Lightweight - Great simple UK legal slipjoint, clip broke ages ago and keep meaning to replace it, expensive here though.

Phone - Nexus 5 in Magpul case with Cyflect marker

Keys - On leather and HK snap hook, + bottle opener/pry bar and CPR mask.

Watch - Seiko SKX007 on Phoenix NATO strap. Also pictured Traser (Duty watch) and Mondaine (tritium equipped but smart)

And these three bags are what I carry daily.
20196386138_7f761e4015_c.jpg
Colour is off in this pic.
20196312020_7bf5d8aa65_c.jpg
(Left to right: Custom handmade leather satchel, CDHTac Finland custom pack, Arc'teryx LEAF Khard 30)

Which one is used depends on what needs carrying, occassion and sesason.

Anyway, the bag is custom. It was made by CDH-Tac Finland, who's an awesome bag maker. I looked for months, and he's far and away the best guy I could find for the job. The things that closed it were his shoulder straps (most important bit), and creativity and attention to detail.
FB Here: https://www.facebook...141110645925106

You can see the build in progress, as well as examples of his other works here: http://itstactical.c...bag/#entry41561

There were a few specifications, it had to be thin enough to the body to sit in a chairlift or vehicle without being pushed off a seat, slim enough to go through doorways easily, be lined with light material, and be able to be mounted to larger packs or load bearing vests.

20384357435_3cafd1c65a_c.jpg
Externally, the bag is pretty straight forward. Molle is no longer a 'target indicator'. Every man and their dog have tactical styled bags now. They do not however have any idea what to hang off them, or much taste. Soft parts are all ranger green, hardware is tan. There's only room for a single column of PALS down each side, still useful. That grimlock on the right carries my crew cover. On the front there's a big field of loop for patches, though I'm usually quite subdued on that front. The zip is for entry to a compartment the size of the panel for documents and miscellany. This compartment carries:
 Moleskine Diary
 Jetstream Four + 1 Pen and pencil
 Arc'teryx Rho LTW beanie
 Headphones, tidied with a bulldog clip
 Work ID Lanyard

20197711499_d17d78fd52_c.jpg
Now to what is usally the most important part of a pack, and also usually not much considered - the shoulder straps. These are why I chose CDH, low profile and comfortable. In this picture I've only got half of the removable sternum strap on, decided to post this while adding it back on. With a pack of this size and use, the importance is lower than on a pack for multi day trips, but it's still going to be on my back almost every day, and I can attest to the comfort. One feature of these straps is that they're removable, allowing you to run the bag slick as a vehicle med pack for example, or to use the 1" ITW buckles to mount direct to armour or a larger pack.

Internal:
19763405493_57cc8e5cdd_c.jpg
It's loop lined for velcro pouches, with a few rows of pals along the top for hanging pouches. I made the switch to a hook and loop system for a few reasons. I don't want to buy three of everything for different bags for starters. I like to drop in what works to whatever pack I'm using any day. I was already way into it after using my Khard for a few months, but the utility was proven when ripping out a med pouch to rifle through it in a high stress situation. I prefer it to MOLLE / PALS as it's fast to switch, and I'm not a fan of having a load of stuff hanging off the outside of my pack. Fine for a bugout bag if that's your thing, but it draws the wrong kind of attention around here, and overbuilt for internal pouches.

The two pouches at the top are MOLLE, basically because that's the only option, and I like to ocassionally go very low profile and stick them in the front pockets of my jacket. Pretty much unnoticable, but between them will cover most eventualities. On the left is a Maxpedition mini pocket organizer, set up as a pocket trauma kit, on the right is a Blue Force Gear Small Admin Pouch, setup with the kit to sort most situations. Between them is a bottle of hand sanitizer on a carabiner, and below are my admin and medical cubes, with a Hydro Flask on the left and a folded up bag underneath it.

20384290995_ab04613d35_c.jpg
The lid of the bag is also lined with loop, and folds completely open. The zip pocket is sized about perfect for a tablet or e-reader, and holds my Nexus 7 tablet. The zip pockets are lined with multicam litelok, which are the kind of awesome touches that CDHTac excels at.

This side has some patches and a maxpedition admin panel, with a wallet for loyalty and travel cards, as well as black and silver sharpies, pens, pencils, a ruler and a titanium spork.

Pocket Trauma Pack
20197628939_a8695d6edd_c.jpg
This pouch has the basics in it, covering most medical emergencies until more help arrives.

Quick-Clot Sport

Gauze Pads

FoxSeal Chest Seals

SWATT Tourniquet

Small Sharpie

Nitrile Gloves
2 Pairs

Photon light

Steropore adhesive dressings

Pocket CPR Mask

Small Admin Pouch
20358483376_0289fc9f1d_c.jpg
This pouch is pretty much a 'save the day' pouch, as the contents have on many occassions. The multitool+bit kit especially. The Black Diamond Ember is a rechargable flashlight that also can be used to charge mobile devices.

SOG Bladeless Multitool

SOG Hex Bit Kit

BD Ember Power Light

Paracord deployment Lanyard
6ft

Semi-permanent Marker

Cable, micro USB

Stiff plastic sheet

Bic Lighter

Large Admin Cube
20390411871_cc93637607_c.jpg
The bulkier but useful items live here. The FourSevens 123 Mini is here for strobe and beacon functions (signalling/visibility) and longevity of lithium batts.

Powermonkey Solartraveller Integrated water-resistant solar panel and battery

MU Folding USB charger British three pin plugs are bulky

USB Cable

Micro Cordage

Medium Dry Bag

12V USB Charger

Marker Panel LW w/SOLAS tape

BooBoo kit

Contains various meds, plasters (bandaids), safety pins, tape, tweezers, gloves

Large Med Cube
20375680472_cd57d0b825_c.jpg
I immediately regretted taking everthing out to take this picture. I'm not a paramedic, so this wasn't packed for ease of access and replenishment, it was packed to fit the most lifesaving gear into the smallest space. So packing everthing back in took about ten minutes.

Bolin Chest Seal

Asherman Chest Seal

Trauma Bandage

H+H Rolled Gauze

SOFTT-W Tourniquet

Trauma Shears, orange

Micropore Tape

Vent Aid

Saline Pods

Nitrile Gloves
4 Pairs

Alcohol Wipes

Triangular Bandage

A note on buying custom. Do your research, find someone you trust, have a conversation, and give them some latitude for their creativity. Get it right the first time.

Edited by Corbs, 07 August 2015 - 07:23 PM.

• spenceman, bigfoot, CalicoJack and 11 others like this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#2 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Any questions hit me up. And thank you so so much to whoever suggested Hydro Flask in the LEO Hydration thread, it's awesome.

• Jersey0311 likes this

#3 Feeny

Feeny

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

Wow

Bookmarking this for later. Im constantly changing what I carry in my bag(s) and yours is way more organized than mine. Going to need to study this in more depth.

#4 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

Awesome post and nice looking bag, why did you end up picking bright orange for the insides?

#5 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

Chose bright orange because it's bright. Like to be able to find stuff easily in a dark bag. Same reason I have coyote Velcro over black, though black and orange looks good.
  • Geist likes this

#6 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

That is one nice looking bag Corbs. And a nice breakdown of what you carry and, more importantly, why. Although, you did forget to list the most important thing - the sweet Lego man! ;)
  • Corbs likes this

#7 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

I appreciate the write up, you've given me ideas to "compress" my EDC down.

And that is one real nice bag

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:47 AM

Great job, solid pics!  Thank you for sharing this!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#9 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hey Corbs! Love the LEGO profile pic.  I don't know if this is the right place for this post but I have been reading through the forums for a couple of days and I haven't really found what I am looking for. I love the looks of your packs by the way!! Anyways, my question is for you or anyone who really want to answer. Do you prefer tactical packs to civilian packs? If so, why the preferences or not? I carry tactical pack when on duty of course, but what about when you are not on duty. Obviously i do not know what you do for sure but I can guess. I run into a lot of guys who wont carry anything that looks LEO or MIL while off duty because they thing that it stands out too much. I find that tactical packs seem to be the most user friendly for me. The molle allows me to add biners and pouches and such. When off duty i don't carry a pack with patches or insiginia on it but I do tend to prefer my Grey Ghost or Max packs to say a Northface or Victorianox pack.  I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts or opinions on this. Part of my training is to pick out abnormalities in a crowd or group of people, but so may people carry tactical looking packs these days that if someone needed to disappear into a crowd i don't think they would stand out that much. What do you think. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

#10 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

Hey Corbs! Love the LEGO profile pic.  I don't know if this is the right place for this post but I have been reading through the forums for a couple of days and I haven't really found what I am looking for. I love the looks of your packs by the way!! Anyways, my question is for you or anyone who really want to answer. Do you prefer tactical packs to civilian packs? If so, why the preferences or not? I carry tactical pack when on duty of course, but what about when you are not on duty. Obviously i do not know what you do for sure but I can guess. I run into a lot of guys who wont carry anything that looks LEO or MIL while off duty because they thing that it stands out too much. I find that tactical packs seem to be the most user friendly for me. The molle allows me to add biners and pouches and such. When off duty i don't carry a pack with patches or insiginia on it but I do tend to prefer my Grey Ghost or Max packs to say a Northface or Victorianox pack.  I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts or opinions on this. Part of my training is to pick out abnormalities in a crowd or group of people, but so may people carry tactical looking packs these days that if someone needed to disappear into a crowd i don't think they would stand out that much. What do you think. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

I saw a coyote brown molle covered bag the other day, which is normally something that stands out to me. It also was a pack I didn't recognise, which is a rarity. When I got closer, I saw the brand. Nike Skateboarding. Molle is mainstream, don't worry about it. I also see the chinese knock offs of Maxpedition Falcon backpacks everywhere here.

I generally prefer tactical bias bags for a number of reasons. They're tougher generally, easier to repair, made by someone who stands behind it, more modular (a big one for me) and can be adapted readily.

#11 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

Thanks Corbs. Molle is pretty mainstream here too. I dont patch mine out and its all black so i don't think it stands out too much.

#12 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

Love the breakdown, awesome bag! The leather satchel is pretty sick too.

#13 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:06 AM

Since writing this, I've attached the two MOLLE pouches with kydex hooks, which allows them to be pulled out and shoved in pockets quickly, and then slid back on. Nowhere near secure enough for external use, but fine in the bag.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CUSTOM, EDC, DAYPACK, MOLLE, CARRY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users