Photo

Streamlight Microstream, Early review (pics)

EDC Flashlight Microstream Taclight

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

As mentioned in the EDC flashlight section I recently ordered a Streamlight Microstream from Amazon

$17.21 with Prime shipping

I received it today and thought I'd do a quick write up on my initial impression, along with some better pics than you find online.

First, it's quite small.. You can see it relative to several common "pocket" items in the pictures.  The important part is that its long enough (for me) to hold with my thumb on the (tail mounted) switch and the lens is pretty much at my pinky.  Any smaller and I wouldn't be able to grip like this.  If you have big, meaty hands, look for a bigger light. 

The upside of this is it fits easily in a pocket, less obtrusive than either of my normal pocket-knives, and barely larger than my car key.

Streamlight lists it as 35 lumens, not impressive but likely adequate for most uses.  Obviously this is a tradeoff for the small size... for me this is back to the ".22 in your hand is better than a Desert Eagle in the safe" argument.  Sure I'd rather have my 6P Surefire, but it's larger than I want to carry all the time.  Often I'd rather have my 6D Maglite, but again, something the length of my arm isn't exactly carry ready.

Streamlight did a really cool feature with this light, the pocket clip doubles back for use to clip onto a hat brim.  It looks dorky, but seems functional and secure, and I'm betting it will come in handy someday.

If you want to turn it constant on rather than momentary it takes a very deliberate push.  If you usually want this as a momentary this is good.. if you mostly want permanent on this could potentially get annoying.  I like Surefire's method better of push for momentary and twist for permanent, but not a big deal for something this size and cost.

Everything else is pretty much what you'd expect from a company with Streamlight's reputation.  Only thing I was surprised at (in a good way) was that it has a serial #.

On to the pictures

20150826_194956.jpg

20150826_194924.jpg

20150826_195028.jpg20150826_195219.jpg20150826_195252.jpg

#2 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

That looks pretty fun! I still carry my AA maglite for my EDC. It's been upgraded  several times with after market parts. I also keep a fennix single AAA on a gear retractor on my First Aid grab bag. I think its a similar in a pinch kind of application.

#3 Panhandle Rancher

Panhandle Rancher

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSouthwest

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Streetlight makes a one cell light in IR and visible. Both seem to to be shorter but with greater diameter.

PR

#4 bigpac931

bigpac931

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

i love this light i have been using it for about 8 months now and put it though hell . it has survived drops from drops 8 feet and under constant moisture from wet pants in bunker gear stepped on a couple of times . it keeps on ticking i have used it to start I.V's and is bright enough to search outside . After you wear it for about 2 weeks to a month you will have to check you pocket or belt line depending on wear you wear it but you will forget it is there . Best of all in a SHTF event it is a simple AAA battery and you can find that in a T.V. remote . check http://www.batteryju...ight-66318.html  they have it for 15.81 but no free shipping unless you buy over 50 bucks but if you are looking for flash light gear they have some of the cheapest prices i have seen . 

Posted Image

#5 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

I have carried the Microstream on a daily basis, on literally every outing from my home, since 2012. It is a marvelous light. It is sufficiently bright to see in dark/low light settings. The light isn't stupidly bright. It isn't large, heavy, or expensive. It is, however, a quality piece, and mine has taken on a rather polished patina. I particularly like that it doesn't do anything but come on and go off.

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#6 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

I have carried the Microstream on a daily basis, on literally every outing from my home, since 2012. It is a marvelous light. It is sufficiently bright to see in dark/low light settings. The light isn't stupidly bright. It isn't large, heavy, or expensive. It is, however, a quality piece, and mine has taken on a rather polished patina. I particularly like that it doesn't do anything but come on and go off.

Yes it seems like a great little simple reliable light..  Only disappointment is that it's made in China vs USA as Maglite and Surefire.. Unfortunately neither of them had a model that did what I wanted it to do (regardless of price).

#7 Alex721

Alex721

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

I have to say that this is an absolutely great light. For my EDC tasks it accompanies me nearly everywhere i go. I must agree that it is a very reliable light, at least thus far. 

To me, the constant and momentary on feature is not a big deal. It does require a very distinct intention to active the constant light, but to me that is a good thing. It definitely will not come on in your pocket or on accident.

#8 Breach

Breach

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:07 AM

Great little light. I have one and enjoy it very much.
As for the serial #, Streamlight has a lot of dealings with LE. Having a serial number helps departments know who had what light issued.

#9 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Still loving this light! I did have to adjust the clip slightly as it kept catching on things and pulling out. Pried it off and tightened up both bends so no more snagging and better retention.

Also I have noticed occasionally the battery cap area needs to be tightened down but that's it. Still quite happy for $17!

#10 treebeard

treebeard

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:06 AM

I've had one for a few months now.  Love it.  I usually carry it outside my Maxpedition FR-1, since it's part of my modular EDC setup I'm working on.  Recently been carrying it a bit more in my pocket though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EDC, Flashlight, Microstream, Taclight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users