13 replies to this topic

#1 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

Just curious, I stumbled across this company from a front page ITS article and am intrigued (though out of my price range for the foreseeable future).  

Now I see there's no such thing as an "official" SEAL watch, though a few companies claim to be (LumiNox being one).

Chris Kyle mentioned Rolex "back in the day" and G-Shock during his time.  Resco claims that they have good penetration in the "SEAL Watch" market.

If any of you are, or know, SEALs (I'm not/don't) are mechanical movement watches still in use?  I love mechanical movements, but it just seems like there'd be better options out there now (like G-Shock for instance).

#2 ffemtp

ffemtp

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:40 PM

I can't answer your questions about the SEAL's, but this is a great resource for mechanical watches: http://www.countycom...calwatches.html I frequently use this site and am very pleased with them and their products.

#3 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:59 AM

I am not a SEAL, nor do I know any, but i just don't understand the SEAL watch craze. I spent 10 years in the Marines on cargo helicopters as a crewchief/gunner. I wore a $100 gshock. It got covered in oil, hydraulic fluid, aviation fuel, dirt, sand, mud, and water. It got smashed into cargo, scraped against aircraft parts, and survived every shop brawl. Never broke or lost time.

As a cop, I still wear a $100 gshock. It's had blood, mud, dirt, and sweat on it, it's been in fights, scraped around on vehicle searches, and still keeps ticking and isn't broken.

My watches get harder use than the average person, and they aren't expensive, and I never have to replace it, short of losing it.

#4 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

I'm not a SEAL either but I can see the merit in getting a beefy mechanical watch where you don't need to worry about changing batteries at inopportune times or angling the face in a particular in way in bright, sunny conditions to be able to see the digits (problems I've had with some Casio digital watches). I just prefer the heft and visual style of real, well-built mechanical watches. It's cool, though, that $100 gshock's can apparently take one hell of a beating and keep on...well, not ticking but whatever ;) .

On a side note, it was interested to find that Kobold has a watch (mechanical) that you can only buy if you are a SEAL; their NEC 5326 watch page states they'll only sell it to SEALS, no exceptions. link >>> http://koboldwatch.c...pieces/nec-5326 .

#5 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

I'm not a SEAL either but I can see the merit in getting a beefy mechanical watch where you don't need to worry about changing batteries at inopportune times or angling the face in a particular in way in bright, sunny conditions to be able to see the digits (problems I've had with some Casio digital watches). I just prefer the heft and visual style of real, well-built mechanical watches. It's cool, though, that $100 gshock's can apparently take one hell of a beating and keep on...well, not ticking but whatever ;) .

On a side note, it was interested to find that Kobold has a watch (mechanical) that you can only buy if you are a SEAL; their NEC 5326 watch page states they'll only sell it to SEALS, no exceptions. link >>> http://koboldwatch.c...pieces/nec-5326 .

It's kind of amusing how many watches are "the SEAL watch"

So far

G-Shock

Rolex (in another time, but still)

Kobold

Resco

Luminox

#6 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

Basically if one dude with a trident wore it one time... It's now THE SEAL watch.

89BccLb.png

#7 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

Basically if one dude with a trident wore it one time... It's now THE SEAL watch.

Indeed.

My vote goes Rescoe and Kobold..

Rescoe purports to be owned by an active duty SEAL, regardless of how many SEAL wear them, I think that gets a vote.

Kobold having a watch that can only be purchased by SEAL is interesting, however I wonder how much is true vs marketing gimmick (I mean I imagine there's "military only" versions of lots of stuff we civilians don't get).. Still, it makes a certain point.

Then again Chris Kyle said he used a G-shock, and was given a Rolex after retirement, and that's an endorsement hard to beat.

#8 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

But that gshock must be the $700 mudmaster model :D

#9 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:51 PM

look at Redteams.net if you're interested in Rescoe watches. Uri loves them.

VR

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#10 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

Also,

looking to purchase a rather high dollar watch soon to celebrate a personal milestone. Currently looking at an Omega Seamaster. Beautiful watches.

La;

• mackguy likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#11 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:17 PM

Also,

looking to purchase a rather high dollar watch soon to celebrate a personal milestone. Currently looking at an Omega Seamaster. Beautiful watches.

La;

I got an Omega Speedmaster as my college graduation gift to myself... it's an older model so it wasn't as $$ as a new one, but looks just as nice (better IMO) and works great.  I like Omega.  

#12 Lawdog734

Lawdog734

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

My dream watch is an Omega. If you are Military or LEO look on GOVX.com they have Rescoe watches at a discount.

#13 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:51 PM

Ive heard Brandon Webb from sofrep.com endorse Resco Instruments. As redsol1 mentioned, redteams blog is a fan of resco as well. Resco and many others are way out of my price range but i would rather have resco than rolex.

Posted Image

"Any questions, comments, gripes, bitches, or complaints? Well, I will address them in order of the amount of fucks given. Thanks and I don't give a shit how the rest of your day is." 1SG Kirkland

#14 prongATO

prongATO

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

Resco review by BB if you haven't already read it.

http://www.itstactic...ge-or-downtown/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users