35 replies to this topic

#1 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:47 PM

I'm finally ready to add a red dot to my rifle and could use some input. What am I leaning towards right now? The Aimpoint PRO

Long story short, I'm looking for a decently priced red dot and while I'd love not spending much, I subscribe to the buy once cry once mindset. I'd say $400 is my max budget but a little over should be ok if it's a screamin' deal. Ideally I'm looking in the $3-350 range.

I'm not overly worried about weight or size as it's my first (and currently only) real rifle and I just want to have quality components all around.

This is also why I'm sticking with the bigger names and not going with a company like Vortex. That’s just for example and no disrespect is meant. I’m looking for something with a proven track record and built to last a very long time.

My question to you all, do you know of a good place online that might have (or frequently have) a sale on quality optics? I'm hoping Black Friday yields some discounts...

Oh and I have some Amazon credit saved up and while its pretty close to full price (currently $424), at least buying through Amazon guarantees me a new item, 2 day shipping, and a return policy for what it's worth.

Why not EoTech? I'm not against them but I like the battery life and cost over comparable EoTechs. I am open to suggestions however.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm looking to 1/3 cowitness with my irons instead of absolute. Once I settle on a sight, I'll have to make sure I have the appropriate hardware for that cowitness setup.

16447256065_b4e0d96de6_b.jpg

Edited by mikejulietpapa, 02 November 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

I've had probably 5-6 different red dots, 3 at one time giving me a chance to set them side by side for my own personal comparison.

While I've never owned the Aimpoint Pro, it is pretty similar to the Aimpoint Comp M4.  I did like the Comp M4 but what made me choose a different optic was the form factor.  The size of the Comp M4, as well as the Pro is a bit on the bigger side for a red dot (in my humble opinion); But the Pro is roughly half the cost though, a major bonus.  My theory behind size was that if I have to make quick acquisitions, I didn't want to see any frame from the optic and the T-1 sort of disappeared.

The Aimpoint Pro is a solid red dot in your price range though and you wont be disappointed unless, like me, your eyes are getting old and you want to go with magnification.

The Aimpoint Micro T-1 is still my stand-out favorite but it comes at a premium price.

The PrimaryArms Advanced Microdot is a solid red dot for the price, but side by side with the T-1 it just doesn't compete... again, price aside.

The EoTechs that I've owned were all decent but always seemed a bit big for my taste... It's kind of jarring when you see how wide they are on a slim rifle.

The Trijicon SRS that I played with was in beta development and while interesting had issues in low-medium lighting.. dawn and dusk for example.  I could clearly see the emitter which was distracting.  That may or may not have been addressed since its release.

An alternative I don't see often but don't understand why not is the Trijicon RMR.  It falls in your price range and is small and unassuming.  I often debate getting one for my rifle but never pulled the trigger (no pun intended).

• mikejulietpapa and mangeface like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

I can't stand the fuzzy reticle of EOTechs. PRO is probably your best bang for the buck...or 400 of them...whatever.
  • mikejulietpapa likes this

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

I'm running the Primary Arms Advanced Micro Red Dot on the AK and I'm very impressed with it. Quite durable (watch AK Operators Union's videos), crisp dot and reasonably priced.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

I use a T1. Because I got it half price slightly used. And I was holding out for one because I wanted as light and low profile a rifle as I could get.

Otherwise, I'd have gone with a PRO. Absolutely the best bang for the buck. Unless you want smaller and lighter. That's the only real advantage to a T1 (discounting night vision for civilian use).

Sometimes you can find an H1 on sale close to the PRO price. Same as T1, but no night vision settings.

EoTech....... sorry to those who like them......I would use irons first. Even if they fixed reliability issues, and even if they fixed durability issues (and I'm not convinced yet on either), you still have the auto on/off switch and abysmal battery life. When I need an optic to work, I really NEED it to work. I don't want to fuck with turning it back on when I should be engaging targets.

Vortex Spark. I've never even seen one in the wild. But Mike Lamb has used them and reports good things. And he says they survive his classes. So that's saying something. But his endorsement is literally all I know about them.

As for large vs small housings.. If you're doing it right, it doesn't matter. You should not see the "tube" on any of them.

Hope that ramble helps. Short answer is PRO on your budget or T1 if you can sweeten the pot.

Edited by pira114, 02 November 2015 - 07:19 PM.

#6 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:28 PM

I absolutely love my vortex sparc 2, but if money wasn't an issue, I'd get a PRO or a T1 micro

#7 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

I would say just get the PRO I love my aimpoint and I have never heard any complaints about them.  The EoTechs have a bad habit of shutting off they also have a limited battery life by comparison.  On my Aimpoint Micro H-1 I just leave the thing turned on all the time and change batteries once a year or so. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

Here... timing couldn't be better... let me  just put this here.

http://www.recoilweb...fire-65175.html

working-Aimpoint-Fire-web-670x412.jpg

• mikejulietpapa, Sourdough and acable74 like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#9 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

That is pretty ridiculous.

#10 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Wow. I'd say that beats the Daniel Defense touture test. Which, if you haven't seen it, here it is:

https://youtu.be/AUgzlF_4XUs

#11 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

I have the Aimpoint PRO, I've had it for a year. It is the fourth Red-Dot type optic that I have owned. First......the PRO is the best of that type of equipment that I have used. I just yesterday buried my Aimpoint PRO on an AR-10 firearm, along with ten fresh batteries, inside a ZCORR bag and box.

While the Red-Dot type optic is great for some applications, those are not the applications needed for my lifestyle.

I would invite you to look and see if a tool like a low power (say 1.5-4X) scope with a illuminated reticle might be worth considering. There is a valid thinking that a low power scope is useful in identifying who or what you are considering as a possible threat.

https://www.leupold....ex-illuminated/

Edited by Sourdough, 03 November 2015 - 02:45 PM.

#12 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

BTW, for the T1/H1 the LT660 mount gives you the lower 1/3 cowitness.

http://www.laruetact...-lt660hk-or-661

#13 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. It seems that the Aimpoint PRO is probably the best option for me. 

I’d love to make the jump to a T-1/H-1 but just can’t swing the cost right now. My idea is that at least [by starting] with the PRO, I’ll have a “future proof” optic so that when I finally can upgrade, I’ll just put the PRO on a second rifle or sell to a friend etc.

My next question: Does anyone know the best place to look for a deal on the Aimpoint PRO? Or do you have one and you’re looking to part with it? Yeah it’s a long shot but I thought I’d ask.

One buddy of mine recommended keeping an eye on Mrgunsngear (on Facebook) because he posts links to deals quite often apparently.

Thanks again for all the awesome input!

Edited by mikejulietpapa, 04 November 2015 - 02:47 PM.

#14 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

One of my friends was looking for a PRO and I think I hit about every link I could and all were priced at $424.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#15 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. It seems that the Aimpoint PRO is probably the best option for me. 

I’d love to make the jump to a T-1/H-1 but just can’t swing the cost right now. My idea is that at least [by starting] with the PRO, I’ll have a “future proof” optic so that when I finally can upgrade, I’ll just put the PRO on a second rifle or sell to a friend etc.

My next question: Does anyone know the best place to look for a deal on the Aimpoint PRO? Or do you have one and you’re looking to part with it? Yeah it’s a long shot but I thought I’d ask.

One buddy of mine recommended keeping an eye on Mrgunsngear (on Facebook) because he posts links to deals quite often apparently.

Thanks again for all the awesome input!

Are you .mil or LEO?

#16 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

One of my friends was looking for a PRO and I think I hit about every link I could and all were priced at $424.

Same here.

Best bet is to wait for a black Friday sale. Or gift cards to where ever you pick to buy from.

Personally, I'd buy from Larue. You won't likely find better customer service and you can customize the mount it comes with. I don't care for the standard mount Aimpoint ships it with. I prefer Larue mounts. It'll cost a tad more, but cheaper than buying the optic somewhere else then going to Larue for a better mount. The standard LT150 will go on my next carbine with a PRO. Larue's price for the PRO is the same as anywhere else

http://www.laruetact...e-optic-w-mount

#17 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:02 PM

I paid $375.00 a year ago. Suggest you hold for Black Friday sales.

#18 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

Are you .mil or LEO?

Neither. Although a friend of mine is LEO and is looking for a sight. Know of a deal I can send his way?

#19 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

Dont forget about the new trijicon MRO. I wanted to get a pro or t1, but the mro has me rethinking what way I want to go for optics on my AR.
  • pira114 likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#20 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

Same here.

Best bet is to wait for a black Friday sale. Or gift cards to where ever you pick to buy from.

Personally, I'd buy from Larue. You won't likely find better customer service and you can customize the mount it comes with. I don't care for the standard mount Aimpoint ships it with. I prefer Larue mounts. It'll cost a tad more, but cheaper than buying the optic somewhere else then going to Larue for a better mount. The standard LT150 will go on my next carbine with a PRO. Larue's price for the PRO is the same as anywhere else

http://www.laruetact...e-optic-w-mount

I was just going to ask if you happened to know which mount would get me lower 1/3 co-witness but a quick check on the LaRue FAQ page told me. 

"The LT150 is the standard M68 CCO optic mount that we produce. The mount will give you a repeatable zero and a lower 1/3rd Co-Witness."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: red dot, aimpoint, eotech, optic, sight, rifle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users