9 replies to this topic

#1 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

Ok. So I finally picked up a couple of these. The intent was to move the Liberty bottles out of my pack to make more room. And to add to the amount of water I can carry in addition to my 3 liter bladder, or remove the bladder if so desired. Options, in other words.

The pack is a GORUCK GR0. With the MOLLE on the sides, the holders fit perfect. Still leaving room for my waist belt if needed. They fit great. Everything was going well, until I added full water bottles.

These are the smaller 20oz bottles. The problem I'm having is that the holders don't attach to the MOLLE all the way up. And the bottles raise up quite a bit past the top MOLLE strap. This causes the holders and bottles to flop around quite a bit. Both fore and aft. Even worse, they lean out away from the pack. This causes me to smack them on shit I would have thought I was no where near hitting. In essence, it widens my overall profile.

They're definitely secured well. The bottles are not coming off. They're quiet when moving around (unless I smack shit). But I can feel them moving. I'd much prefer they were tighter against the pack.

So, other than a quasi review, I'm wondering a few things.

1. First, did I do something stupid to cause this? I'm pretty sure they're on correctly and adjusted as well as can be according to design. But you never know.

2. Has anyone else run into this? Did you make any mods to deal with it? Is it not as big a deal as I'm making it?

3. Even if you don't have these, any suggestions? I'd do mods, but not any that permanently change the pack. Holders I don't care if they're permanently modified. Pack I do.

I'll add some pics that hopefully show what I'm talking about and the full range of motion the holders have while "secured."

Attached Files

Edited by pira114, 21 November 2015 - 08:54 PM.

#2 littleninja

littleninja

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

Hi Pira,

Looking at your set up and reviewing the product info - couple of ideas come to mind:
1. Mounting - upside down mount be an option?
2. Shock cord - move it to the lowest channel. If that doesn't resolve, add a 2nd shock cord through one of the lower channels and use a paracord lock to make it adjustable. Might also consider higher tension-grade shock cord.
3. Would probably be a more involved mod, but a grommet fastener could be mounted  through the 2nd channel of the holder. That would require a mod to your bag but if weight is a concern, a single grommet fastener wouldn't have too much impact.

I'm dealing with a similar challenge. My urban 1-day bolt bag includes a filter bottle so I want the UV protection of a pouch. I have the Yukon Overwatch Sling for this application, and like yours, the bottle holder has enough slack to cause full bottles to shift more than I'd like. I'm shortening the straps and then reinserting to the molle on the pouch to keep my profile neat.

JsHOVOa.png?1  8wywyPL.png?1  ffdUD1V.png?1

n0Q3KCI.png?1

#3 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

Little ninja you need to weave the molle straps between the bottle holder and the pack, have a Google, that's not how it's meant to be attached.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#4 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:37 PM

Pira114, I'm struggling a bit from the photos, is it attached to the highest molle available on the ruck?

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

Pira114, I'm struggling a bit from the photos, is it attached to the highest molle available on the ruck?

Yes it is. I'll try to add better pics in a bit. But it's on there tight. The problem is that it's a single MOLLE column set up. And with the bottle in, that column extends only about 2/3 the way up.

So you end up with a lot of weight on a single column that's not fully supported vertically.

#6 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

More pics. I'm gonna play with it tonight and see what I can do. I might have it set up poorly. But I don't see how. I don't think I can move the shock cord down as the bottles are tall, but I'll try that and see.

Attached Files

#7 littleninja

littleninja

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:07 AM

Little ninja you need to weave the molle straps between the bottle holder and the pack, have a Google, that's not how it's meant to be attached.

Roger that - busted me being a slacker. I had the bottle off the pack getting ready to modify and didn't take the time to weave for the photo. Bad ninja, bad.

n0Q3KCI.png?1

#8 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:14 AM

@pira114 - You could attach shock cord directly from the pack molle, which would remove one moving part.

To try something entirely different, I quite like HSGI's soft Taco, but it's a lot bulkier for this purpose, though it adds versatility.

#9 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:47 AM

Just a thought but could you add a hard backing to secure the strap with the shock cord? I'm thinking something like a ruler, a strip of hard plastic, maybe a piece of SAM splint, whatever is easiest to get your hands on. I think you could run it through the molle between the pack and the holder or inside the holder following the soft strap if there is space. You might have to jury rig something so it doesn't fall out but I bet some superglue or duct tape could do that easily enough.

#10 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

Anyone else use MilSpec Monkey's bottle corset? That thing will handle any bottle or canteen you put into I swear. I'd attach a picture if I could figure out how to attach a picture to this post. 

But its really a solid piece of kit. Been on a lot of adventures with me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users