6 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

Okay, so I'll admit, it's been probably 6 years since I've had any sort of firearm training and that was courtesy of Uncle Sam. I've never done any courses as a civilian. Now that I'm starting to get back into a routine where I'm shooting on a regular basis, I'm getting the itch to get back into a class. AND... with everything that's been going on, my wife has come around and wants to get some firearms training and a CHL. Problem I'm having is finding unbiased info on the quality of the training. Lots of people saying how much time they spent in the police or military, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. So, I'm looking for either specific suggestions for courses in the Central Texas area or places to look for reviews of courses.

For my wife, I want a basic defensive pistol course. She can load, chamber, line up the sights and shoot, but isn't comfortable with a firearm. And I'm a terrible teacher.

For me, I want a defensive pistol course. Reading what is covered in the various course levels, I have the training/experience for the advanced courses, but since it's been 6 years since I've been in an actual class, I might be better off in an intermediate course. So I'm not sure exactly what I want. 

Here are the two places I have found online with pistol courses, but nether have any real outside reviews I can find. And I don't know which classes I'd want for my wife or me. Also, they all say must have "this or that training beforehand." Obviously I haven't done any civilian training. Am I going to have to sit through 4 hours of "This is your bang stick. The noisy end goes toward the bad guy."???

Guess I'm just looking for input. Thanks!

http://www.krtrainin...es/classes.html

http://www.bullethol...nglessons.html 

• mysteriousjl likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:38 PM

I've not heard of the first link. I'm personally not a huge fan of the Bullethole. The last time I was there I felt it was little unsafe and haven't been back since. 

I've not had the opportunity to attend a class with these guys but I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. Really great group of dudes and always very helpful in their shop. Last I was in there Eric Scott was talking about one on one lessons with another person in the store but unfortunately I wasn't able to speak with directly on it (what i'm looking for in training this next year at least once a month) . Give em a call and talk it over with them on what you're wanting to do and i'm sure they can help out:

http://alamoshootingsports.com/ 

Also lookup http://www.lonestarhandgun.com/ I did my CHL renewal there and highly recommend them to everyone. They have a ladies specific class that might fit the bill for your wife as well a variety of classes.

• MightyP likes this

#3 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

Might want to take a look at this as well. https://chrissajnog....hip/#24reasons 

• MightyP likes this

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

I can't help with those specific courses. I can only offer an opinion on traveling.

Since I live in Ca, good quality training classes are really hard to come by. I just build traveling into my budget and schedule. I'd rather spend more and take extra time to get a known quality class.

#5 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

I can't help with those specific courses. I can only offer an opinion on traveling.

Since I live in Ca, good quality training classes are really hard to come by. I just build traveling into my budget and schedule. I'd rather spend more and take extra time to get a known quality class.

When it comes to training, is something better than nothing? My budget's just increased, but not quite to the point that I can travel very far just now. Do you think something like Gander Mountain Academy would be better than nothing (or for all I know, it's pretty good), or would it be better not to spend my money on it?

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

I believe in both.

Something usually is better than nothing. Like dry firing or running drills on your own that you learned from a reputable source.

But bad training can ingrain really bad habits. Dangerous ones. At the very least, be a waste of money that could have had you half way to saving for a good course.
  • mysteriousjl likes this

#7 gunnerjacky

gunnerjacky

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

Get her 9mm handgun training. There are lots of firearms safety training schools in Boston which provide very professional training to the trainees. They provide certificates on completing the course and help you get the gun license too. One of such schools is BostonFirearms.com If you ever get a chance to visit Massachusetts then check this one out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users