3 replies to this topic

#1 royi.s

royi.s

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

hello,

im looking for a course for getting rope rappelling certificate so i can go on my own/take some one with me.

im from out of the country and kind of lost my way around google, hope i am in the right place.

#2 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

I don't know of any certificate producing schools, but if you live near an REI they often have rappelling and rock climbing classes. Also check out your local library, there are a lot of books out there that will help expand on what you learn in class or help the class make more sense. The main things for rappelling are to have a very solid anchor point up top, preferably several anchor points in case one of them fails. Second, is to make sure you have a long enough rope. Also, use a bona fide rappelling rope, and not the crap at the hardware store (it might be strong enough, but it isn't tested or certified, so don't risk your life to it). Regular climbing rope (dynamic) has a lot of stretch, so if the ground is coming at you too fast a hard stop may still end with you hitting bottom. Rappelling rope (static line) has very little stretch so you can stop where you intend to, especially in a hurry.  Next is making sure you're harness and descent device are properly secured to your body and to each other. Finally the last thing I can think of, is to not go too fast for too long, because your gear will heat up and melt your rope. It may not melt all the way through, but ropes are expensive, and once they're damaged they aren't good for climbing or rappelling any more. That's all I can come up with off the top of my head, but its been a long time since I've done much rock climbing or rappelling.

So without knowing where you're at, its hard to make any better recommendations, so I'll just list some generic ones.

REI

EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports)

Local climbing gyms

Go ask local climbers (they can teach you themselves, but they could be idiots that will get you killed)

Join the military and go through their certification courses

Here are some articles (still seek personal instruction initially, just to double check you for safety):

http://www.itstactic...-a-basic-guide/

http://climbing.abou...appelSkills.htm

http://www.climbing..../how-to-rappel/

• Hidyn and EMSWxSAR like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#3 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:31 PM

There are a few schools out there, *most* of them are centered around rescue work, but that is good to know as well as dangling and trying to tie off someone else is tricky!

"Ropes That Rescue" does a fantastic course, we took it whe I was on search and rescue; learned a TON! But, if you are just starting out that may be a bit overwhelming!

Check your local rock gyms, if they don't teach a course on their walls, I bet you can find someone to show you how!!
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#4 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

Check out Mountaineering: freedom of the hills for a great one stop source for a lot of detailed information about mountaineering, which rapelling is a sub set of. From there you can make some more educated Stabs at your local gym.

Most gyms offer great intro courses. Also try mountaineering associations. In Canada I'm a member of the Alpine club and have gone on some great excursions for cheap!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users