• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

It's my birthday soonish, and after wanting one for ages, I'm getting a heavyish duty domestic sewing machine. I'm not often satisfied with what's available commercially, so now can finally make my own stuff! Anyone got any good resources?

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#2 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

I know nothing about sewing machines but you might try here to start your search: 

http://www.diytactic...-of-the-trade/ 

#3 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

There are a lot of different techniques you're gonna have to learn. Handmade tactical gear has the potential to be quite a bit better than mass produced stuff, although the shortcomings in most gear I've come across seems to stem from a failure in material rather than workmanship. Unless it's the design you're unhappy with, it's worth it to just buy in my opinion.

Can't wait to see what you produce though!

#4 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

Try to find a used Consew 206RB-5. Get waxed nylon thread. Those machines are durable as all get out, powerful, and not terribly hard to repair, and parts aren't hard to get. It's the military standard as far as sewing machines go.

#5 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

Thanks @Nroeber78 , I need to get back in that forum and dig out all of jma78's tutorials. He made my daily pack and definitely knows his stuff.

There are a lot of different techniques you're gonna have to learn. Handmade tactical gear has the potential to be quite a bit better than mass produced stuff, although the shortcomings in most gear I've come across seems to stem from a failure in material rather than workmanship. Unless it's the design you're unhappy with, it's worth it to just buy in my opinion.

Can't wait to see what you produce though!

Try to find a used Consew 206RB-5. Get waxed nylon thread. Those machines are durable as all get out, powerful, and not terribly hard to repair, and parts aren't hard to get. It's the military standard as far as sewing machines go.

It's always been the design I've been unhappy with, though currently I haven't got a major problem in need of fixing, so I'll have to wait for some inspiration to strike.

The machine's been bought for me. It's a modern singer, pretty basic domestic job, slightly more heavy duty than most but certainly not up to sewing a riggers belt.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users