11 replies to this topic

#1 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

I know some people here like tactical response, but wtf went through the instructor's mind before he did this? Thankfully no one was hurt. TR has subsequently been banned from the range as a result.

http://soldiersystem...udents-vehicle/

Stereotypes can be untrue, but sometimes they are earned.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#2 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

The true nature of firearms safety is eternal vigilance, when we think it cannot happen to us... it can and will. Hubris is a very dangerous thing and seems to be something common among a lot of the high speed, low drag instructor sorts. Glad no one was hurt. 

89BccLb.png

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

First, off the ND was stupid and easily avoidable the instructor could have made the exact same point with an unloaded firearm if was truly essential to his block of instruction.  With that said the way TR has handled the situation is what is beyond reproach.  We will see if he changes his tune in a day or two once he cools of which seems to be his modus operandi however as this specifically calls out serious issues in his school I'm guessing they will continue to try and sweep it under the rug while belittling those that call them out.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

What really concerns me is how they're going out of their way to hide the instructor's name. F that, I want to know who it is so I don't get tricked into training with the guy who thinks it's a good idea to tap dance on loaded firearms. It may be stupid to baby a weapon, but it's equally (or more) stupid to intentionally be a stalinist with it unless you're doing a torture test review or something.

#5 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

I heard about this.  Now I know.  Maybe they should spend more time teaching legit stuff or putting the shooters through good shoot scenarios instead of them trashing their weapons and insulting them.    

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#6 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Dirty! You're alive!
  • DirtyTrigger likes this

#7 Ingimar

Ingimar

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:21 PM

This touches on a topic I have seen from some trainers.  Full disclosure, I have not attended a TR class but have gone to others.  My take on this is this particular ND was caused by an attempted WOW factor.  This was a way do say "we do things a bit different here".  While I understand the sentiment, I have taught my students that most firearms go through extensive testing of this nature.  I do not feel the need to 'torture test' gear in this manner.

• DirtyTrigger likes this

#8 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:17 AM

I can appreciate the point he was trying to make, but the method of instruction was a serious lapse of judgement. I hope his days as an instructor are put to an end before someone is injured or killed.

#9 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

This touches on a topic I have seen from some trainers.  Full disclosure, I have not attended a TR class but have gone to others.  My take on this is this particular ND was caused by an attempted WOW factor.  This was a way do say "we do things a bit different here".  While I understand the sentiment, I have taught my students that most firearms go through extensive testing of this nature.  I do not feel the need to 'torture test' gear in this manner.

I agree 100% Ingimar.  There is no good reason to make someone abuse their gear, just so the instructor has something to do or to make himself look "cool".  I would offer the suggestion then, maybe you should work on your lesson plan if you have time to kill by throwing guns into the dirt. 

Tu7wwUX.png?1

#10 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

I can appreciate the point he was trying to make, but the method of instruction was a serious lapse of judgement. I hope his days as an instructor are put to an end before someone is injured or killed.

yes, I fell off the wagon......   I am sorry...... :beat:

Tu7wwUX.png?1

#11 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

Idiots. I realistically torture test my gear every day just by using it. My duty pistol goes in and out of the holster constantly. The grip gets ground into pavement sometimes searching cars. It gets slid into jail lock boxes. My patrol rifle rides in a car rack 12 hours every day, jolted around constantly. Gets transferred in and out of vehicles at the start and end of every shift. Gets banged into my other duty gear as i throw it around my back to go hands on. They get fired in practice. A lot.

But lives depend on them functioning, and I keep them clean and never unnecessarily beat on them. I take care of them, so they take care of me.

And the safety rules, my drill instructors pounded that in my head so hard they'll never leave. If I ever get struck by lightning and get amnesia, I may forget my name and my family, but I'd still be able to recite those rules
  • Psybain likes this

#12 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

As for the particular drill this is as I understand it a TR standard block of instruction not merely something a particular instructor was teaching.  I'm glad their 'dangered up' firearm served them so well :-D.  I have not nor will I ever take a course from them the final straw which occurred prior to this ND was an instructor whom I trust who attended one of their courses and he said the biggest takeaway is their attitude that basically you do it our way or you are fucking wrong.  That really just doesn't work for me.  Some of the best instructors I have had the pleasure to train with say "try it my way and see what works" I always try hard to do something an instructors way for at least the duration of the class to give it an honest trial then ad the end I take it or leave it which is exactly what a good instructor encourages. Any school/instructor that things their way is the only way is not a place I have an interest in going. 

• Hidyn likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users