10 replies to this topic

#1 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:18 AM

I didnt want to create a zombie thread, so in the year or so since the last one died, whats the new consensus on a good rifle suppressor? I'd like to get one when I move to az, but I have no hands-on experience. I was thinking something along the lines of silencerco or surefire, but the OSS designs seem pretty interesting too. What are your experiences and preferred brands?

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#2 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:41 AM

Gemtech patrolman or halo. Titanium is the way to go. Throwing another 5 ounces on the end of your barrel for steel sucks ass unless all you do is shoot from a bench.

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:11 AM

I've seen those OSS Designs also and they're quite radical, yet very nice.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:24 AM

Go to silencershop.com they have everything you need including setting up the trust (for a fee), it can literally be your one stop shop.

I don't have a trust myself though I consider it almost on a daily basis and I keep going back to Gemtech or AAC when I do my shopping.  Again, no hands on experience with either it just seems to be where I end up when I check reviews and pricing.

Caliber-up if you can!  If you just plan on shooting your 5.56 but are considering buying a 7.62 in the future, go with the larger caliber... you can still use the can on the smaller caliber with similar results.

Again no personal experience but I wouldn't recommend doing it the other way around =) j/k

• jvandivere likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#5 jvandivere

jvandivere

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 104 posts
  • LocationBellefontaine, ohio

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

I agree with DStevenson on the "calibering" up.  Once my ship comes in (We just had our 4th kid 2 weeks ago) I plan on getting an AAC S6N?  (7.62 suppressor).  I have a Ruger GSR and a Ruger SR556E. I want to be able to buy one suppressor and use it on multiple guns (especially if I get another M4 style rifle.  Only thing I'm weary of is weight and length if I get another M4 like the Stag arms 3G (18" barrel).  The GSR also isn't advertised on AAC's webpage but I've had the break put on correctly by a smith- so hopefully it would work or I could get it checked by a dealer before purchase.

Gemtec and Silencerco I hear great reviews. I think I see mostly AAC online, but they are also owned by remington now. Surefire is another good company I'd look into but already have AAC brakes on my guns. So, whichever your fancy and budget.  Like others have said, and if I get one, set up a trust. There is too much IMO out there against suppressors and legal gun owners that any way they could take it from you or your family they will.

Good luck finding the one you want, and post pics!

n0Q3KCI.png?1

"Aut Vain Invaim Aut Facim- I will find a way or make one"

#6 GrizCo

GrizCo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

Great advice all around. I set up a trust when I built my SBR and I definitely suggest it. I went with a SilencerCo Omega 7.62. I'm using 300 Blackout but as others said, go with a bigger can to handle more calibers. I can put this same can on my 5.56 barrel and my .308. It helped me explain to the wife why I spent over $900 on a part for my gun. Pricey but I tried a few before I settled on this one and it was a clear winner. I think my bolt makes more noise than anything (next project). It took me just a little over 3 months to get my stamps with a trust. Those times might increase the closer we get to election because more people will apply for them.

#7 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

I'm currently running a thunderbeast 30P-1 but that's just for precision rifles.  If I was to get a can right now I would very seriously look at the new Griffon Armament Optimus. Its rated for all rifle calibers 300 win mag and below and all pistol calibers 9mm and below. its a versatile can I am likely going to pick that up as my next suppressor to run on both my glock 34 and my IWI Tavor.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#8 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

Great advice all around. I set up a trust when I built my SBR and I definitely suggest it. I went with a SilencerCo Omega 7.62. I'm using 300 Blackout but as others said, go with a bigger can to handle more calibers. I can put this same can on my 5.56 barrel and my .308. It helped me explain to the wife why I spent over $900 on a part for my gun. Pricey but I tried a few before I settled on this one and it was a clear winner. I think my bolt makes more noise than anything (next project). It took me just a little over 3 months to get my stamps with a trust. Those times might increase the closer we get to election because more people will apply for them.

If ypu dont mind me asking, what other suppressors did you try out and why did you choose the omega over them? Thanks!
  • GrizCo likes this

#9 GrizCo

GrizCo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

If ypu dont mind me asking, what other suppressors did you try out and why did you choose the omega over them? Thanks!

I don't want you to think I'm ignoring this question. I plan on heading to the range this week and I will get more info. The names of the ones I rejected were not committed to memory and I don't want to give you the wrong names and deter you from good alternatives. I'm pretty sure my gun guy would know since he recommended them.

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:10 AM

Cool, thanks. I'm in no rush since I'm currently in CA.

• GrizCo likes this

#11 GrizCo

GrizCo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

Cool, thanks. I'm in no rush since I'm currently in CA.

He wasn't there when I went to the range this last weekend. I shot him an email.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suppressors, Rifle, Class III, NFA Trust, Surefire, SilencerCo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users