22 replies to this topic

#1 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

So this weekend we went to look at 4 Runners for my wife.  I've owned a Wrangler since '07, and then upgraded to an Unlimited Rubicon in '12.  I've always flirted with the idea of having something with a few more road manners, and now that I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old the thought strikes me more and more.  Anyways I was pleasantly surprised at home much I liked the 4Runners we looked at.

Has anyone made a switch to a 4Runner after driving a Jeep for awhile?  A Wrangler was my dream car growing up and now after having one the last 8+ years I can't say that I've been disappointed.  I can say off the top of my head that I would probably miss pulling off the doors (which I do quite often) and driving a stick.

​Any words of advice?  Thanks.

#2 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Have you looked at Grand Cherokees at all? My 2008 WK is the best Jeep I've ever owned, and I've had quite a few. I have two wee ones, and the WK has a DVD player option for long trips. It handles great on the road, and I dunt think you can beat Quadra-Drive II with electronic lockers front and rear off-road. I don't think I'd be interested in a brand new one if you're going that route. And I'd probably stick with just the Hemi option, unless you can find a diesel like mine.

While I breathe I shall defend.

#3 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

We have an '11 Grand Cherokee we're trying to get out of. We've been beyond disappointed with it...

#4 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

I like the 4th gen 4 runners because you can get them with the 2uz v8

#5 jvandivere

jvandivere

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 104 posts
  • LocationBellefontaine, ohio

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

My fiance had a Jeep Wrangler Sahara that started to have some problems and we were expecting our 3rd at that time.  We flirted with getting an explorer, but Ford's programs weren't doing it for us. Toyota offered us a great deal (Vet discount) and trade in for her jeep. We test drove a 2015 4runner and she fell in love...it also helped having hidden 3rd row seats.  We got it and have had it for about a year now and love it.  Disclaimer: it does get ok gas mileage (better than jeep) but still an SUV. Also we wish we got the offroad package (but will add tube steps later).  We really enjoy it and each kid (now the 4th should be coming home in a month or so from the NICU) will have a seat. PM if you have questions or want pics. Again we love ours.

n0Q3KCI.png?1

"Aut Vain Invaim Aut Facim- I will find a way or make one"

#6 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:53 PM

Ah, the age old debate of Jeep vs Toyota... I would love to have one of each, but only having one, I'm glad I have a 4runner.

Your Rubicon will be more capable off-road out of the box; solid front axle, e-lockers, etc. And being a 4WD convertible is pretty cool too. You also have room to add bigger tires without many modifications. 

4runners have the IFS, which is much nicer for driving on the road and even on most trails. They're ridiculously reliable, quieter ride, better gas mileage, more room, and most people can fold the rear seats down and sleep in the back comfortably. If you get a new 4runner, I'd suggest either a Trail Edition or TRD Pro to get the factory rear e-locker. You can lift a 4runner about 3 inches before it starts to get complicated. Most 5th Gen guys upgrade to 33" tires after a lift, but you have to do a body-mount chop or they'll rub. I could go on all day about 4runners...

Bottom line: There's a reason mudders/rock crawlers gravitate toward Jeeps and overland guys prefer 4runners. As long as you realize they have different specialties, you'll appreciate the 4runner just as much as the Jeep.

As Aaron mentioned, there's a V8 option for 4th Gens which was amazing. Full-time 4WD, more power/torque and towing than the V6s and only lost about 1 mpg. Nice ones are getting hard to find, but it's a great truck. 

• jvandivere likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#7 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

Never had a Jeep, but we did have a 2001 4Runner SR5. Absolutely loved it! It had great road manners, but was still a capable off road/bad weather vehicle. we'd still have it, but my wife totaled it in a bad snow/ice storm (not in 4WD). I'm convinced the build quality of the 4Runner saved her from more serious injury, if not her life. not a bad thing to say about the 4Runner.

0823_100_0599.jpg

0835_100_0611.jpg

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#8 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:46 PM

Looks like I'm vastly outnumbered. I'm sorry you are having issues with your Jeep. I have no desire for a WK2 - this will be the latest generation I'll go. In fact, I'd really like to get a couple XJ Cherokees and put them in storage until my kids are old enough to drive.

While I breathe I shall defend.

#9 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:27 AM

I'll pile on with the Jeep thing just momentarily before I move onto the 4Runner part.

I drive a BMW... I like my European cars, always have.

Some bug got in my butt about a year ago that I was done with them and I wanted something that better fit my lifestyle.  So I decided to hit a local Chrysler Jeep dealer.  I was lured by the tough and rugged looking Rubicon then immediately approached by a salesman, a typical salesman if you get my drift (no offense to those in that profession, but he was the stereotype everyone makes fun of).  He commented on my current car and I explained to him it was time for a change.

I gave him the range of vehicle I was willing to purchase which put me at the top of of the Jeep game, so I test drove what was considered the best he had.  I drove around some local paved roads for about 10 minutes then took him back to the dealer and said no thank you leaving him baffled.  I was never so underwhelmed with a car of that price than I was with "The best they have".

Before blasting me for not taking it off road as it was intended... In truth I won't off-road much if at all so it shouldn't dictate my purchase decision... plus if I was going to go off-road I would put the money into a Ford Raptor.

So, horrible ride aside it lead me to the 4Runner which I loved.  It's no BMW, don't get me wrong but it was fun, somewhat refined and did everything I need.  I keep hemming and hawing over what I'm going to do because I do like the perks of my current car.  My wife is always on be about getting a new car but I don't want to give mine up.

No matter how I try to reduce vehicle price I keep coming back to the 4Runner TRD PRO in quicksand color... I friggen love it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#10 GrizCo

GrizCo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

I've had my Jeep since 92 and it's the only vehicle I've had since. It's a stick so 99% of the women in my life couldn't drive it. Needless to say, my current wife was the first woman I ever let drive it. That was just last year and since we'd been married 5 years, I thought I could make an exception. She's an awesome wife but I never let her drive it again.

That Jeep saw my kid from the hospital to his first beer at 21. If it ever decides to call it quits, I'll build a pedestal in my front yard for it. My favorite things about Jeeps is who cares about a dent or a scratch. A little rust, rattle can that shit. Dog puked on the seat, hose down the cabin. I keep the top off from the first good Jeep day till first snow. My wife keeps a poncho in her purse, I just keep clear lenses so I don't get pelted in the eyes. The gas mileage sucks, I feel every bump, it leaks, seats have holes. It's just like me.

You will miss your Jeep :)

• CalicoJack and MightyP like this

#11 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

That's what I quickly decided when I really thought about it. It makes noises, the seats might be a bit uncomfortable, it's a stiff ride, and it gets pretty bad mileage. That being said it's the car I've wanted since high school. The more I think about it the more I realize that there is some special intangible. For a moment I was tempted, but no longer...
  • GrizCo likes this

#12 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

his first beer at 21.

I told my folks that too. Hahaha.

I know what ya mean though, I was the same way with my '76 Blazer. No one got to drive it, and no matter what was wrong with it, it was awesome
  • GrizCo likes this

#13 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

I bought a 2016 Pathfinder 4x4 (also has AWD) for my wife on January 4th this year. I shopped for months and essentially compared this, Grand Cherokee and 4Runner.

I found the backseat of the Grand Cherokee to not be large enough and could not manipulate the seats enough to make sufficient room for a large infant car seat and base. Also, once a stroller was in the back, it was out of room. Cool rides, however.

The 4Runner was similar. I took an unlimited model home over a weekend and loved driving it. It was also about 8k more than the Pathfinder Platinum.

The Pathfinder is no longer a true SUV
It's a unibody frame. It handles well and rides smoothly. Regardless of metrics, it has the most perceived space of all the models listed. This was also my least favorite vehicle but I wanted most interior room available. With rebates, it ended up being the least expensive luxury model.

In hindsight, I wish I had purchased a Suburban, but that would have been a giant leap as my wife previously drove a sedan.

If/when I replaced truck, the Tahoe and Suburban genre is near the top of my list.
I've nnever owned full size because I'm unreasonably paranoid about finding good parking spaces.

All of my vehicles have been four wheel drive for what if moments. I have no off-road desires. I did that briefly as a teenager and was underwhelmed by the experience and overwhelmed by the clean up.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 18 June 2016 - 06:33 AM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#14 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:47 PM

I have the Yukon XL (suburban). It's definitely in the top three of all vehicles I've ever owned.

One of my other vehicles is an Xterra. I've got 247k miles on it. Crashed it twice in the mountains with only cosmetic damage. Only thing I've ever done to it is replace a water pump. I like bigger trucks, but this little Xterra is probably the toughest and most capable 4x4 I've ever owned. Not great gas mileage though due to oversized tires, but I've never cared about gas mileage
  • ArkansasFan likes this

#15 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

Nissan sadly eliminated the Xterra this year. I had been thinking about getting one in addition to or in replacement of mmy Frontier (in addition to the Pathfinder) since I like smaller vehicles. I'm really upset by that but as I've said I need to rethink a full/large size.

I like Nissan because as you say they last. I'm also an anal retentive guy who takes care of his purchases. I do not like the Armada or Titan.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#16 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:25 PM

If you decide to go used, stay away from 05 to 08 Xterras. Bad juju. Other years are excellent.
  • ArkansasFan likes this

#17 GrizCo

GrizCo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

From a Body Tech perspective, Nissan's use some real flimsy sheet metal on their parts. It's hard to get new replacement parts that are not damaged when they come from the dealer because the metal is so thin. Toyota is better as far as steel strength and most Toyota's that come in the shop can be repaired instead of replacing parts. Dodge makes the strongest parts, then Chevy, followed by Ford.

Replacement parts are hard to come by for Nissan (They only make replacement factory parts for 5 years) so a lot of replacement parts are knock offs unless you have State Farm who doesn't use Aftermarket parts. FYI most insurance companies use salvage>Aftermarket>Reman OEM>OEM unless your vehicle is less than a year old or you have an OEM endorsement on your policy. There is a good chance if you've been in an accident your car is no longer all factory parts and part Chinese.

• pira114 likes this

#18 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

Thanks, I didn't know that. Guess it's a good thing I've never bothered to replace my banged up sheet metal!
  • GrizCo likes this

#19 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

State Farm insured for 20 years here. Interesting on the body. I have had PDR done a couple times for hail and a door ding.

I seriously hate when people hit my vehicles with their car door. I become very confrontational.
  • GrizCo likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#20 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

Get rock sliders!
  • MightyP likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic