9 replies to this topic

#1 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:08 AM

So I recently received a 75 dollar Amazon gift card from the company I worked for... with it I was able to finally pick up the HSGI belt and then my wife got me the inner belt for my bday. So now comes the fun of building my load out in conjunction with my plate carrier which currently only has 4 single rifle taco's. The loadout on both will be for the AK platform as well as M&P 9MM w/ TLR1

The primary purpose of my battle belt will be for running carbine matches and training. I also plan to keep it handy in the closet loaded and ready to rock n roll. 

I'm already thinking 2 rifle/pistol tacos and possibly a double stack rifle taco that I already have.

I plan on obtaining a Dark Angel kit at some point in the future as money allows, for now i'll have to make due with a kit i've put together on my own, that floats from range bag to truck to where ever i need it.

I'm going to get another ZZZ Holster made for use with an RTI hanger on the RTI duty mount again as money permits.

Fixed blade? Is this too much? is it needed or do people just run them to look cool? I was actually thinking about getting a karambit to run somewhere in the appendix area of the belt depending on how it rides but wanted to get some opinions on this... 

I was also thinking of a multitool and flashlight somewhere if I can as well as a dump pouch

Do guys typically run 2 dark angel kits? one on belt one on plate carrier? or do people just move from belt to carrier and vice versa when not using carrier? I'm curious for opinions on what others are doing here. 

I like to keep things simple, clean and functional, and i've seen some pretty absurd setups out there, so I thought I would ping the community here and solicit some opinions and advice before blowing money on crap I dont need... 

• Sourdough likes this

#2 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

I have a related question about inner belt choices for Battle Belts. I also have the HSGI Battle Belt, but have not found a good workable inner belt. Yes, any belt will work......kind'a. The problem I have is the needed range of adjustment for adding outer clothing or shedding arctic coats as the day warms up.

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

So I recently received a 75 dollar Amazon gift card from the company I worked for... with it I was able to finally pick up the HSGI belt and then my wife got me the inner belt for my bday. So now comes the fun of building my load out in conjunction with my plate carrier which currently only has 4 single rifle taco's. The loadout on both will be for the AK platform as well as M&P 9MM w/ TLR1

The primary purpose of my battle belt will be for running carbine matches and training. I also plan to keep it handy in the closet loaded and ready to rock n roll. 

I'm already thinking 2 rifle/pistol tacos and possibly a double stack rifle taco that I already have.

I plan on obtaining a Dark Angel kit at some point in the future as money allows, for now i'll have to make due with a kit i've put together on my own, that floats from range bag to truck to where ever i need it.

I'm going to get another ZZZ Holster made for use with an RTI hanger on the RTI duty mount again as money permits.

Fixed blade? Is this too much? is it needed or do people just run them to look cool? I was actually thinking about getting a karambit to run somewhere in the appendix area of the belt depending on how it rides but wanted to get some opinions on this... 

I was also thinking of a multitool and flashlight somewhere if I can as well as a dump pouch

Do guys typically run 2 dark angel kits? one on belt one on plate carrier? or do people just move from belt to carrier and vice versa when not using carrier? I'm curious for opinions on what others are doing here. 

I like to keep things simple, clean and functional, and i've seen some pretty absurd setups out there, so I thought I would ping the community here and solicit some opinions and advice before blowing money on crap I dont need... 

Personally, I haven't heard of people rocking 2 IFAKs at once. I generally use a folding knife to keep everything less cluttered, and if I'm rocking a gun belt, that means I've got my pistol and/or rifle close at hand and I generally won't need a knife instantly ready to go.

I usually use mine for pistol and rifle qual, so I keep it pretty simple. Just mag pouches for the weapon I'm shooting, a dump pouch, a grenade pouch I use for different types of oakley lenses and my earpro when I don't need it, my holster if appropriate, and a dump pouch. I leave the ifak in my backpack on the bench.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#4 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 311 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:34 PM

The First Spear assaulter's gun belt is a fantastic choice to mate with the HSGI belt.

While I breathe I shall defend.

#5 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

The problem is these belts have very little range of adjustment. And would require disassembling the Battle Belt to make a small adjustment in length.

The First Spear assaulter's gun belt is a fantastic choice to mate with the HSGI belt.

#6 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

That's the inner belt I use for my Velocity Systems OUB.

The problem is these belts have very little range of adjustment. And would require disassembling the Battle Belt to make a small adjustment in length.

Nah, I dont need to totally disassemble the belt for it, I just pull the adjustment side out of the outer belt a bit when I need to fix the length, make the corrections, then push it back to make it even again.

I'll take a pic of how mine is set up later when I have time.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#7 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

Yes.......... I can see that working "IF" nearly everything is attached to the outer Battle Belt........But if you need to adjust the length twenty times a day, and have some tools attached to the inner belt, then it seems to change things. Maybe everyone is not wearing theirs for 14 hours and 21 miles, with several outer clothing changes. Or, maybe it is just ME, that is the problem.

Nah, I dont need to totally disassemble the belt for it, I just pull the adjustment side out of the outer belt a bit when I need to fix the length, make the corrections, then push it back to make it even again.

I'll take a pic of how mine is set up later when I have time.

#8 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

I run 1 rifle mag, 2 pistol mags, my pistol, a fixed blade and my IFAK that's it on the belt.  You want a belt that's fairly slick I used to run 3 double tacos on my belt and it was a bit of a disaster making movement awkward.  The load-out you described would leave you with 9 magazines  that's 270 rounds of rifle ammunition plus ~51 of pistol ammunition I have never been at a class or competition where I have required more then that in a single course of fire.  Even if you're looking at more of a wrol situation that feels excessive to me.  Having gone the excessive route and learned how nice it is to be slicked down I would recommend keeping the belt fairly simple.

• Sourdough, nroeber78 and ETCGIB like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#9 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 311 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

What about having an "extender" to make the belt longer when you have extra outer layers on?  You'd have to get another Cobra buckle and some 1.5" or 1.75" (I can't remember the width offhand) webbing, and you could either add a tri-glide to make it adjustable, or just sew it (or have it sewn) into a simple loop.

While I breathe I shall defend.

#10 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

I run 1 rifle mag, 2 pistol mags, my pistol, a fixed blade and my IFAK that's it on the belt.  You want a belt that's fairly slick I used to run 3 double tacos on my belt and it was a bit of a disaster making movement awkward.  The load-out you described would leave you with 9 magazines  that's 270 rounds of rifle ammunition plus ~51 of pistol ammunition I have never been at a class or competition where I have required more then that in a single course of fire.  Even if you're looking at more of a wrol situation that feels excessive to me.  Having gone the excessive route and learned how nice it is to be slicked down I would recommend keeping the belt fairly simple.

I agree, I run 2 rifle mags and 2 pistol mags, sidearm, IFAK, small hydration guppy, and a multitool. although that sounds like alot it is pretty streamlined for an hsgi rig.

EIu5PDO.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users