11 replies to this topic

#1 hrddrv

hrddrv

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationArcher, Fl

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

So we just bought a new car. The old car did not have a first aid kit in it and the Trailblazer has a cheap Wallyworld special that is a crappy plastic container. Just a little background I am former Corpsman and was an EMT basic for many years plus worked in a few hospitals doing CNA/secretarial jobs but got to do a few things extra since they were teaching hospitals.. I still take a first aid/CPR class every few years and also still try to practice my suturing and other things I learned. So I want to know what you guys are carrying. Is most people just using IFAK's or do you have a full first aid medical kit in the car? I want was thinking of doing just IFAK's but was also thinking since there is the 3 of us it might be better to go full kit. Thanks for the help

#2 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

I keep an EMT jump bag in mine,in addition to a smaller IFAK.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#3 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:24 AM

Suburban 911 EMT of seven years here. First, let me point out that a med kit for your car is only one component of on-the-road preparedness. If you haven't already considered this, please think about a tool kit, emergency flares, fire starter, maps and compass, food and water, seasonally appropriate clothing, jumper cables, etc.  Back to the topic...

I would say that the contents of your kit should largely depend on where you are going and what you are doing. If you're just trolling around metropolis or suburbia in your minivan, you only need supplies to handle the ABCs, because an ambulance will be there before you can sneeze, and they will have you to the hospital before you can sneeze again. If you are going out in the boonies where help may be days away, you'd clearly want a beefier kit. Consider your daily activities, the injuries that may occur, and your proximity to definitive care. Kits run the spectrum from the crappy Walmart one you have, to the "hospital in a bag," and everything in between. You be the judge of how much crap your willing to lug around, how much money you're willing to fork out, and how this balances with your individual and situational needs. And of course, just like guns, don't carry it if you don't practice regularly with it. 

My kit has been sitting in my trunk for 10 years and only a small percentage of this stuff has ever been used. Basically I have the types of things I carry on my ambulance, but scaled way down to fit in a small bag. I can handle basic airway issues, bleeding control, minor orthopedic injuries, and basic medical emergencies such as heart attack and allergic reaction. If I can stop the immediate life threats, it buys me time to improvise on everything else. Here's what's in my kit, off the top of my head (I'm sure I'm forgetting something):

AIRWAY

• CPR mask
  • Oropharyngeal airways (OPA)
  • Nasopharyngeal airways (NPA)
  • Halo Chest seal

BLEEDING

• CAT tourniquet
  • Combat gauze
  • 4x4 gauze pads
  • Abdominal gauze pads

ORTHOPEDIC

MEDS & SMALL ITEMS IN TACKLE BOX

• Alcohol preps
  • Iodine preps
  • assortment of band-aids
  • sulfate-free triple antibiotic ointment
  • "sting relief swabs"
  • Aspirin
  • Advil
  • Benadryl
  • Tube of cake icing (cheap substitute for oral glucose to treat acute hypoglycemia)

MISCELLANEOUS

• Medical Tape (1" and 3")
  • Blood pressure cuff and stethoscope
  • Penlight
  • Trauma scissors
  • Ring cutter
  • Tick twister (that didn't say titty twister amazon.com/dp/B010NU1V1I)
  • Tweezers
  • Sharps Shuttle (amazon.com/dp/B006AZZQG2)
  • Space blanket
  • Notepad, pen, sharpie marker
  • Ziploc of Nitrile gloves (latex allergies are widespread; AFAIK there is no documented human nitrile allergy)
  • Trash bag (useful for both trash, improvised occlusive dressings, or as a poncho)
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Litter (amazon.com/dp/B004ESX556)

Make sure you keep on top of the items that expire. I'm almost positive that I have expired items in my kit. And storing it in a hot trunk is probably awful.

PS: There have been several threads on this topic over the years, as well as several blog posts. Just search the archives for a wealth of insight.

• hrddrv and Spartan24 like this

#4 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:39 AM

That's quite a list, thank you for putting that together Koopa.

I have an ITS IFAK that I keep in my trunk... Ever since the injury at the shooting range (not me, someone else) I never leave home without it.

• jvandivere likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

I have a backpackers extended first aid kit from REI which has things like a wire splint and then lots of more bumps and scratches stuff plus a decent selection of other items.  I then also keep an pretty extensive trauma kit with a few TQs, quick clot, pressure dressings, etc. 

• jvandivere likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#6 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

Ten years ago I carried around a mega medic bag from Gall's. I never so much as used a BandAid in the years I carried it.

I recently purchased the ITS EDC Trauma Kit and have a booboo kitty of my own in an Altoids tin. I think the more you know about medicine (and trauma) the more enlightened you become and can rely on random items if the need arose. I also realized one day that I'd developed a distaste for rolled bandage.

If I have a BandAid for myself and a Zofran for my wife I feel exceedingly prepared.

Present profession: advanced practice psychiatry.

Past jobs: urgent care RN, emergency room RN, corrections (primary care) RN, emergency NR paramedic, carried an EMT cert for 15 years. Police officer for 8 years. Volunteer firefighter/EMT for 6 years of my impetuous youth.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 27 July 2016 - 07:33 AM.

• Koopa likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#7 hrddrv

hrddrv

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationArcher, Fl

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

Sorry I am just getting back to this. Life happens so to speak. Since this posting I was just in a pretty big vehicle accident in my parents SUV. Firstly thankfully we are all ok. We had people with broken bones and people with just bruising but we are all alive. We are not sure about the other vehicle because we were put in an ambulance pretty quickly. This helped. What I did find out though is that if this would have happened and there was not already a firetruck and police on seen from another minor accident not even an hour before this I would have been the only one who knew what to do. My family quickly went into shock and could not focus on what needed to be done. As soon as we stopped i had already did a quick assessment on who needed my help the most and what needed to be done. The bad part is I had nothing to really help anyone if the there would not have been anyone on scene already. So I am definitely going to get some equipment together. I would rather have it and never use it then to be like I was the other night.

PS. Thanks Kopa for the list. I have a similar list and will add a few things that I had forgot about. As yes I know about the other threads I was mainly just wondering what others carried mostly. Like I said I was just thinking of a little scaled up booboo kit but now I know I need bigger.

#8 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

Glad to hear you are ok. Hope it works out for you.

#9 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

Wow! What an awful experience. Glad to hear you are all ok. You are definitely fortunate that the fire and police were already there!

When you are all recovered and healthy, here is an opportunity to evaluate your kit. If there was no fire or police there, what equipment would you have needed to treat the injuries that happened? This list becomes the basis for your kit. Build up from there. And like I said before don't just focus on medical equipment but take an all-hazards approach to any number of roadside emergencies you can prepare for.

#10 hrddrv

hrddrv

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationArcher, Fl

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Wow! What an awful experience. Glad to hear you are all ok. You are definitely fortunate that the fire and police were already there!

When you are all recovered and healthy, here is an opportunity to evaluate your kit. If there was no fire or police there, what equipment would you have needed to treat the injuries that happened? This list becomes the basis for your kit. Build up from there. And like I said before don't just focus on medical equipment but take an all-hazards approach to any number of roadside emergencies you can prepare for.

Trust me. I am going to focus on as much as I can. I have decided on a few different kits that offer almost everything medical I need and then add to that. Plus already started a list on what other things I will need such as tools, food and water, etc. Thanks again.

#11 jvandivere

jvandivere

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 104 posts
  • LocationBellefontaine, ohio

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

So I thought about this very topic this weekend when riding to the next town over (about 40 miles one way) on the harley. I tossed in my IFAK (hodge podge of stuff in an ITS red bag). It's got some TQs, some quick clot (actually that quick clot adventure pack I found for 20 bucks), some gloves, Israeli bandage and a gerber dime multi tool. So I was thinking since it fit fairly well in my swing arm bag, I want to make some updates. I did post on here before about a motorcycle kit bag and what I thought would be in it.

So, boo boo plus kit is an option (add sunscreen/burn cream)

Add CPR mask

Add 1 or 2 Road flashes (the little orange ones) or 9V flashers (if they come in other than IR)

stuff to control bleeding/road rash.

Think that's about as much as I could fit into that little bag that would serve as both trauma and gen first aid....As one post wrote- if you get in an accident on a bike, and your normal kit doesn't help you're pretty much screwed. 

I think for the car would add the same, but I also have little ones so would want to add stuff for them (pedialite packs, spare bottles (or water bottles), gas card, spare cash card. Diaper rash/rash stuff, baby meds (tylenol, ibuprofine, so on in single use packs)...Really thinking I need to tailor my vehicle kits to my kids and family, not just general purpose since 90% of the time on the road is with them. On the bike, it's just me! :)

n0Q3KCI.png?1

"Aut Vain Invaim Aut Facim- I will find a way or make one"

#12 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

Forgot to mention my kit also has an Israeli bandage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users