21 replies to this topic

#1 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:33 AM

Does anyone know if cerakote has a similar color to MAS Grey? I'm thinking about taking the plunge with the next AR I build. Thanks.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,861 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:19 AM

I gotta guy... (said with a Joe Peschie ganster voice)

I have not seen him in the past couple weeks but he does a lot of Cerakote work and probably has exactly what you're looking for.

While I've known him for about 10+ years I've never actually done any work with him and cannot fairly gauge his abilities.  But he does know what he's talking about and I trust his opinion when it comes to Cerakoting.

I'll see if I can track him down and get that information for you... He has been AWOL for at least a month.

• Psybain likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

I gotta guy... (said with a Joe Peschie ganster voice)

I have not seen him in the past couple weeks but he does a lot of Cerakote work and probably has exactly what you're looking for.
While I've known him for about 10+ years I've never actually done any work with him and cannot fairly gauge his abilities. But he does know what he's talking about and I trust his opinion when it comes to Cerakoting.

I'll see if I can track him down and get that information for you... He has been AWOL for at least a month.

Thanks b, I appreciate it.

#4 jvandivere

jvandivere

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 104 posts
  • LocationBellefontaine, ohio

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

On a sidenote- how does the Magpul stealth gray compare to MAS Grey? I've seen their new PRS stock and would like to match it to MAS grey if I can, but it looks much lighter.

n0Q3KCI.png?1

"Aut Vain Invaim Aut Facim- I will find a way or make one"

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,861 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:24 AM

Stealth Gray and Wolf Gray are both lighter than MAS Gray... 

What I like about MAS gray over the others is it almost has an OD green undertone to it.

Psybain, I still have not spoken with my Cerekote guy, he is officially AWOL.

Edited by DStevenson, 01 August 2016 - 05:24 AM.

• jvandivere likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#6 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

Not exactly MAS Gray, but they do have this

https://www.cerakote...4Q/sniper-grey/

My Cerakote guy did one of his rifles in that color, and it is baller as fuck. If I could run that color at work instead of black, I would.

• spenceman likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#7 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:33 PM

I got the rustoleum anodized bronze that bryan mentioned in geartasting, so worstworst case I'll go with that I guess. Plan is to use it on a sbr build after i move out of ca

Edited by Psybain, 01 August 2016 - 11:33 PM.

#8 jvandivere

jvandivere

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

I got the rustoleum anodized bronze that bryan mentioned in geartasting, so worstworst case I'll go with that I guess. Plan is to use it on a sbr build after i move out of ca

maybe take the paint collor for rustoleum and email Duracoat and Cerakote to see if they can match it? I'm sure there is a market for MAS grey.

n0Q3KCI.png?1

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:23 PM

maybe take the paint collor for rustoleum and email Duracoat and Cerakote to see if they can match it? I'm sure there is a market for MAS grey.

I just may email them about it... I'm sure they'd need to change the name for trademark reasons. Maybe i can get them to call it "super double-plus operator grey" ;)
  • DieselD and jvandivere like this

#10 jvandivere

jvandivere

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:23 PM

I just may email them about it... I'm sure they'd need to change the name for trademark reasons. Maybe i can get them to call it "super double-plus operator grey" ;)

"Not quite Black Ops"-Grey.

n0Q3KCI.png?1

#11 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:15 PM

Just ordered swatches for a few potential matches from the cerakote website. I'll update after they arrive.

Edited by DStevenson, 04 August 2016 - 10:47 AM.
Not sure what happened there with the edit... sorry 'boot that.

#12 jvandivere

jvandivere

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:00 AM

Just ordered swatches for a few potential matches from the cerakote website. I'll update after they arrive.

Are you going to be able to officially Cerakote yourself or are you using a rattle can?

not sure who you're asking this too- I want to sell my Ruger SR556E and build an 18"DI gun as general purpose/precision rifle/potential 3gun...I like burnt bronze or that color BCM uses (like bronze just not shiny)...I also like OD a lot. Not sure what I would do yet, as I'd have to get money together to do it and the 4th minion is finally home (she was in the NICU for 59 days)...so, paychecks are pretty much spent by the time I'm getting to em.

n0Q3KCI.png?1

#13 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

not sure who you're asking this too- I want to sell my Ruger SR556E and build an 18"DI gun as general purpose/precision rifle/potential 3gun...I like burnt bronze or that color BCM uses (like bronze just not shiny)...I also like OD a lot. Not sure what I would do yet, as I'd have to get money together to do it and the 4th minion is finally home (she was in the NICU for 59 days)...so, paychecks are pretty much spent by the time I'm getting to em.

I think the forum tweeked and added random stuff to my post because that question at the end def wasnt in the original post I made :P

When the paint swatches arrive from cerakote (I got 5 colors incoming) I'll post a pic of them on top of the rattlecan color equivalent bryan recommended and post it here.
  • jvandivere likes this

#14 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 479 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:12 AM

Not exactly MAS Gray, but they do have this

https://www.cerakote...4Q/sniper-grey/

My Cerakote guy did one of his rifles in that color, and it is baller as fuck. If I could run that color at work instead of black, I would.

OHHHHH, I like that!!!

That might be on my next AR build.

Thanks

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#15 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:14 AM

Swatches arrived today, much to my surprise. Last time I ordered 3 it took approx 1-2 months for them to arrive, so congrats to cerakote for speeding that process up. 

The colors I ordered were (in no particular order):

O.D. Green (H-236)

Federal Standard Grey (H-36357)

ACU Green (H-260)

Magpul Foliage Green (H-231)

Sig Dark Grey (H-210)

I took the piece of cardboard that I spray painted last week with the anodized bronze rustoleum recommended by Bryan in geartasting #47 and took some pics with the swatches on top in order to get an idea of how well they match up. The lighting blows, so I may redo this later for science under better lighting conditions and verify the colors are matching up properly with the histogram in photoshop. Here's the initial results/comparisons though with the winner first, followed by the rest:

ACU Green - Winner

20160810_222635_zpse4aik4ad.jpg

O.D. Green

20160810_223245_zpsdymoukut.jpg

Federal Standard Grey

20160810_223953_zpswlw13tnu.jpg

Magpul Foliage Green

20160810_223720_zpsqbsf9odz.jpg

Sig Dark Grey

20160810_223503_zpsjtyglxbb.jpg

ACU Green (to me at least) almost looks like a dead ringer. After that, the only other real contender was Sig Dark Grey; O.D is too green, Magpul Foliage isn't even in the same ballpark, and Federal Standard Grey is right out, to borrow a phrase from monte python.

If I get aroudn to painting a piece of posterboard and doing a more scientific test, I'll update the post with those results as well

• billybogota and pira114 like this

#16 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

Hey Guys,

Anyone know if the Wolf Grey from PDW is close to or similar to MAS grey? Just curious. Really diggin there new SHADO. thinking of picking one up.

#17 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

Finally got around to doing a comparison photo with the ACU Green cerakote swatch and a board sprayed with anodized bronze rustoleum on top of my legit LBT MAS Grey 3 day bag. All 3 are basically the same color, but the light reflecting off the board makes it appear a bit lighter.

Resized_20161031_094102_zpsd3tiubqn.jpeg

• Matt66 and pira114 like this

#18 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:17 AM

So, follow up to this post. When I move to free territory, I want to build a sbr and give it a cerakote camo paint job using mas grey as the base color. What would be some good secondary colors to go with it to help break up the outline and work with an urban background? Anyone have any ideas?

#19 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:58 AM

I can't find a pic of it now, but once saw a rather sloppy camo paint job with grey as base, and dark tan and ranger green for pattern colors. I thought the combo worked. Looked cool and I could see it being effective in all but the darkest of environments. A decent camo job would have made it look cool, but he accomplished the goal.

#20 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Cool. I'm using any green cerakote as my mas grey substitute bc the swatch is almost identical to my legit lbt mas grey backpack. I'll probably get some other swatches in the grey spectrum as well. I want some lighter and darker colors to help create the illusion of shadowing to help trick the brain into thinking it's 3 dimensional

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MAS Grey, Cerakote, AR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users