• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

Guys, I've only been around ARs for about 11 years buying my own (Bushmaster) nine years ago. Truth be told, Ive never done a lot with it shooting around 500 rounds in that time. In contrast, I've shot 500 pistol rounds in the last month.

I actually hate peep sites so other than some minimal LE training, I avoid my own rifle because I feel less than proficient in its use, and I generally avoid things I'm not good at.

That said, I wish to learn, and I want to buy and implement an EOTech, but of the options...how do you choose? I don't own night vision gear, and beyond that the major difference seems to be whichever battery you want to use. Any pointers? I'll have to remove my handle, get a flip up rear sight, etc.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 04 August 2016 - 11:07 AM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png​

#2 billybogota

billybogota

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

Just a general question (and not knocking/questioning your brand choice) but what ultimately led you to settle on EOTech? I.E., price, construction, features, etc.

• ArkansasFan likes this

1LtuBMc.png?2

#3 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

Just a general question (and not knocking/questioning your brand choice) but what ultimately led you to settle on EOTech? I.E., price, construction, features, etc.

Perhaps for a stupid reason...

I prefer the non-tubular design that doesn't make me feel like I'm looking into a scope.  I perceive that it's easier to see around the EOTech in my limited use of them.  

CrewLeaderSignature.png​

#4 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

I prefer the non-tubular design that doesn't make me feel like I'm looking into a scope. I perceive that it's easier to see around the EOTech in my limited use of them.

That's why I can't stand red dots.
  • ArkansasFan likes this

89BccLb.png

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

The best EoTech is the one you don't buy. Call me crazy, but I prefer my optics to work whenever I need them.

The "tube" or "scope" thing is a training issue. If you're using an Aimpoint correctly, that tube disappears. Same with an EoTech really, the housing for either should disappear from view if used correctly.

With both eyes open and focusing on the target, bring the weapon/sight up. As the red dot covers what you want to put a hole in, pull the trigger. Focus never comes off the target.

It takes practice. Especially if you're used to closing one eye for scoped weapons, iron sights, etc. Keep both eyes open, focus on target. Repeat 10,000 times.

I use the Aimpoint T1, and have used the PRO and Comp3. You can't tell the difference in the diameter of the housing with any of those if shooting correctly.

I also like the fact that Aimpoints stay on all the time. As opposed to having to turn them on, and hoping it actually does. EoTech also has an issue with shifting zeros in cold environments. The US Government just sued them over that and won. EoTech conveniently left that info out when selling them. Everybody is returning their EoTech now for refund.

There's been a myriad of other issues with EoTech that I think (?) have been mostly resolved over the years. That said, I simply won't use one again. The very bottom line is it must work when needed. Aimpoints do, EoTechs not so much.

Edited by pira114, 04 August 2016 - 04:52 PM.

• ArkansasFan and GrizCo like this

#6 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

The best EoTech is the one you don't buy. Call me crazy, but I prefer my optics to work whenever I need them.

The "tube" or "scope" thing is a training issue. If you're using an Aimpoint correctly, that tube disappears. Same with an EoTech really, the housing for either should disappear from view if used correctly.

With both eyes open and focusing on the target, bring the weapon/sight up. As the red dot covers what you want to put a hole in, pull the trigger. Focus never comes off the target.

It takes practice. Especially if you're used to closing one eye for scoped weapons, iron sights, etc. Keep both eyes open, focus on target. Repeat 10,000 times.

I use the Aimpoint T1, and have used the PRO and Comp3. You can't tell the difference in the diameter of the housing with any of those if shooting correctly.

I also like the fact that Aimpoints stay on all the time. As opposed to having to turn them on, and hoping it actually does. EoTech also has an issue with shifting zeros in cold environments. The US Government just sued them over that and won. EoTech conveniently left that info out when selling them. Everybody is returning their EoTech now for refund.

There's been a myriad of other issues with EoTech that I think (?) have been mostly resolved over the years. That said, I simply won't use one again. The very bottom line is it must work when needed. Aimpoints do, EoTechs not so much.

I wont touch eotechs for ethical reasons alone. The ceo knew faulty optics were going to people that relied on them and kept his mouth shut instead of freezing all deliveries until the issue was resolved. I dont doubt that he has blood on his hands from his greed.
  • ArkansasFan and GrizCo like this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#7 billybogota

billybogota

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:05 PM

I prefer the non-tubular design that doesn't make me feel like I'm looking into a scope.  I perceive that it's easier to see around the EOTech in my limited use of them.  

EDIT: More replies posted while I was typing mine -- context is to the quoted post.

Gotcha, just wondered.  Well, if you're not concerned with the EOTech recall fiasco (http://soldiersystem...ts-plus-goings/) , they're still a solid choice.  A lot of folks have sent their sights back, and a lot of folks have kept theirs, as they didn't see any issues.  I didn't have any perceptible problems, but mine went back as I wanted to try out the Trijicon MRO.  I had a mix of personal/job-owned EOTechs for a number of years and never had any major issues, only ones resulting from standard wear-and-tear.  As for type/model, you mentioned you don't own any NV gear.  Do you plan to purchase any sometime in the future?  If not, you can forego the models with NV settings and save some money.  There are also different reticle options, which I'll freely admit I don't have range of experience with any reticles other than the EOTech standard 68 MOA ring with 1 MOA dot.  As for they battery type, that would be dependent on whether you want commonality with any powered equipment (lights, lasers, smoke machine) you may have on your rifle, and/or the cost difference between stocking/purchasing AA's or CR123's.  I think (someone more educated please fact-check me) that the XPS2/XPS3/512/552 models may require a riser if you desire a lower 1/3 co-witness. I had an XPS2-0 that needed a Larue riser (LT-110) to put the irons where I wanted them -- again, merely a matter of preference.  Anyway, hope this helps somewhat!

Edited by billybogota, 04 August 2016 - 05:07 PM.

• ArkansasFan and ETCGIB like this

1LtuBMc.png?2

#8 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:21 PM

I'll certainly give the Aimpoints further look given the response. Unfortunately, I have no way to compare the things firsthand.
  • GrizCo likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png​

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:52 PM

I'll certainly give the Aimpoints further look given the response. Unfortunately, I have no way to compare the things firsthand.

MRO is another good option, similar size in size to the aimpoint micro for almost the price of the Aimpoint PRO.
  • Fivesenenguy and ArkansasFan like this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#10 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:47 AM

I run an aimpoint t2 micro and shooting both eyes open with it mounted just behind the barrel nut, you don't see the tube. You're just bringing that red dot into your field of view and putting it on target.

The dot is always on. One less thing you have to do when it's a pick up your rifle and go scenario. I've gotten so accustomed to it, that the other day when my dog alerted and I was in bed, I grabbed my backup rifle that has a SPARC 2. Cleared the house and then realized I had no dot because I'd forgotten to turn it on.

The reticle is better than eotech. 2 moa dot. You can crank the brightness up to where it's very easy to see, or dial it back to where you can barely see the dot for precision shooting. Eotech reticles are gigantic. I think it's a 4moa dot surrounded by that big circle that does what exactly?

Aimpoint will hold its zero, hasn't had recall issues, and is an ethical company.

I'd still pick my SPARC2 over an eotech, but the t2 is phenomenal
  • ArkansasFan likes this

#11 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:42 AM

I've run both the EoTech and Aimpoint red dots and I'd even throw in the Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot.

I replaced my EoTech after working with the Aimpoint... I'd never go back.  I found the Aimpoint to be a superior red dot optic.

So with my choice out of the way... I did buy a Primary Arms Advanced Micro dot because I found one on sale, but even brand spankin' new at $169.00 it is an ABSOLUTELY solid alternative to the Aimpoint.

I wouldn't hesitate to put one on a weapon for classes or range time.  I don't know that I'd take it to the sandbox but that's only because I don't want to be the guy to test it out when lives are on the line.

• mangeface, billybogota and ArkansasFan like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#12 billybogota

billybogota

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:01 AM

I've run both the EoTech and Aimpoint red dots and I'd even throw in the Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot.

I replaced my EoTech after working with the Aimpoint... I'd never go back.  I found the Aimpoint to be a superior red dot optic.

So with my choice out of the way... I did buy a Primary Arms Advanced Micro dot because I found one on sale, but even brand spankin' new at $169.00 it is an ABSOLUTELY solid alternative to the Aimpoint.

I wouldn't hesitate to put one on a weapon for classes or range time.  I don't know that I'd take it to the sandbox but that's only because I don't want to be the guy to test it out when lives are on the line.

Ditto on this -- there have been more and more good quality, affordable red dots making to the market.  I have a Vortex Strikefire II that's done really well, and it's close to that same price point.

• ArkansasFan likes this

1LtuBMc.png?2

#13 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:28 AM

I don't like or trust EOTech anymore, but I just can't get into red dots. I've tried before and will probably try again, but I'm hoping someone else does what EO did but correctly.
  • ArkansasFan likes this

89BccLb.png

#14 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,599 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

Just video of AK Operators Union blowing up a Rifle Dynamics built AK-74 with a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Red Dot with both surviving, and the optic holding a zero with a cracked lens sold me on them. Would I love to have an Aimpoint? Absolutely, but I don't feel they are worth their asking prices when I can get a sub $200 optice that I've seen survive the hands down most brutal torture test I've watched.
  • ArkansasFan likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#15 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:19 PM

I leave my Aimpoint H-1 on 24/7 365 days a year I just change the battery out every year or two. That alone sold me on aimpoints that was before all the lying EoTech did came out.

• ArkansasFan likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#16 ETCGIB

ETCGIB

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHampton Roads, VA

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

Greetings Arkansas Fan,

I sat down with the President, new VP of Ops, and the Director of sales for Federal/Mil of EOTech last month for a briefing on the reported issues, status of product improvement and quality control, and the state of the company. As expected, the new leadership staff was forthcoming in their descriptions of their own shortfalls and quality control measures. The VP of OPS described the company wide changes that have completely transformed the way that EOTech does business, focusing on quality control measures implemented that begin at the vendor level for the parts that EOTech purchases to build their optics. The discussion included the reported issues (cold WX distortion, reticle fade due to moisture incursion, parallax, and thermal drift), the causes, and the changes implemented to fix said issues.

Long story longer, barring a personal distaste for how EOTech previously conducted business, IMO you will not be disappointed with their products. The reported issues occurred at extreme temperature ranges under some fairly arduous conditions...and did not affect all of their optics. The new EOTech seems to have fixed their Sh!+.

I have been issued and used EOTechs for more than a decade and have never had an issue. I currently use an Aimpoint Micro T1 at work solely due to replacement of EOTechs due to serviceability. Our stuff gets beat up. For reference, I have a Trijicon ACOG on my personal rifle. I have also used Aimpoint  Comp M2 and M4s as well as the older Trijicon Reflex sights on work guns.

Here are my personal thoughts on these optics. All are excellent depending upon what you are using them for (CQC, target shooting, home defense, medium range, etc), how you are using them (feed it often and keep it serviceable or armory clean after every outing at the local sporting gun club), and shooter preference ( "I like the way ______ looks better").

I wish you luck with your choice. Always remember...if you aren't happy with it, I know a few folks who will gladly take it off of your hands for a "used" price!

Gib

If anyone is interested in the non NDA part of the EOTech briefing that I sat in for, PM me and I will be happy to send it.

• Fivesenenguy and ArkansasFan like this

#17 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

Even if EoTech gets their quality control up to snuff and actually starts producing the product they promise they wont be able to come even remotely close to the battery life on the aimpoint which ended up being what sealed the deal for me. 

• Fivesenenguy and ETCGIB like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#18 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:28 AM

I will say this, befor you spend a whole bunch of money go to your local gun store and ask that they put several different optics on a weapon similer to yours and see what you like best. price point may be a factor but generally in the "gun world" you get what you pay for. Now there are some exceptions to this rule IE: primary arms, and vortex to name a few. everyone on this board gave the best experience they could offer, some for some against and I have personally owed a few of these example that where represented. Lemons happen and thats a part of mass production, that being said EOTECH has really lost its reputation as a reputable optics company and I personally will not buy another considering the options on the market today. The practice of shooting with both eyes open can allow you to use all manner of optics like the ACOG's with B.A.C.. Your feild of view is also widened so the use of a "tubular" optic can be mitigated with traning. but ultimatly its up to you. IMO buying a less expensive vortex and or primary arms would be the wat to go and if you still dont like it your not out a whole lot of cash. My two cents lol

• ETCGIB likes this

EIu5PDO.png

#19 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:53 AM

Huh. I hadn't heard anything about EOTech until this thread. It's unfortunate; I used EOTechs whenever possible while on AD as I preferred them to the CCOs. 

• ETCGIB likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#20 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:48 AM

Despite all the mean things being said about EoTech I've never had an issue.  I always preferred AimPoint because I wasn't fond of the blocky look of the EoTech but it was just personal preference. (same personal preference applies to Glocks also)

If they were to have narrowed them to the width of the rail to better fit the profile of the weapon it may have been a different story for me as far as aesthetics.

• ETCGIB likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users