5 replies to this topic

#1 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

Last year around Christmas I got a semi-custom AR with the Wylde chamber (supposed to be good for .223 and 5.56.  It was made by a gun shop "Double Tap" in Clarksville, TN (near Ft. Campbell, Veteran owned).

Overall it seems well made, from decent quality "all US made" components.

However, I've noticed some problems with ammo firing.  It's not uncommon to have 1 "dud" round per box of 20.  They'll have the firing pin witness in the primer.  Sometimes they'll fire if I rechamber them, but some I've tried 3x to no avail.

American Eagle .223 ammo seems to be the worst offender.

My question is, have others had issues with ammo quality, or does this seem like a problem with the rifle?  It's the only .223/5.56 I've ever fired so I'm not sure where the problem is, but I don't know that I've ever had "dud" ammo in any other gun ever.

Could it possibly be too light of a hammer spring or something like that?

#2 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 265 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

I've used the American Eagle ammo in my DPMS with no issues

#3 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

I once assembled a lower, one of my early first ones that I did, and in doing so installed the hammer spring incorrectly. It went as well as you describe. Went back through with a friend who pointed out that the hammer felt light. Disassembled and reassembled correctly, no more issue. Could be that, your spring is defective, or maybe you just need a heavier spring.

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#4 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I'll contact the builder and see what they say.

We had an initial problem with a gas-block, and as part of the compensation for having an issue they "improved" the trigger by changing out some springs, so it wouldn't shock me if they went a little light on the hammer spring to give a lighter trigger.

#5 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

Reading a bit apparently mis-installed springs are fairly common, though you'd think someone trying to build these commercially would do it right.  Looks like I know the first thing to check, and if that's installed correctly I'll order me a new spring.

Are Wolff still considered the good stuff?  I've used their stuff in 1911 and Hi-Power and been happy.

#6 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:58 AM

Just got a note back from the builder confirming they used an extra light spring, that has some known issues with light strikes on certain ammo..

They're going to send me a new spring to swap in..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users