• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

I've had a variety of form fitting gloves but have never really shot extensively with gloves (but do shoot extensively).  Can anyone suggest something?  Mechanix?  I think I'll primarily wear one on my weak hand during training.  I have three open blisters from the last day of gun play.  

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#2 billybogota

billybogota

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

I've been really happy with all of the PIG FDT gloves from SKD -- there's a lot of capability/options between all the different versions.  For the old-school guy in me, I still keep a couple pairs of the GI summer flyers gloves around -- an oldie, but a goodie.

• Psybain and MightyP like this

1LtuBMc.png?2

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

I've been really happy with all of the PIG FDT gloves from SKD -- there's a lot of capability/options between all the different versions.  For the old-school guy in me, I still keep a couple pairs of the GI summer flyers gloves around -- an oldie, but a goodie.

I keep my PIG Alpha gloves on me at all times for any kind of tactical shooting drills. Just used them last week for the 4th year in a row for Table 2 of USMC rifle qual. No Ragrets... not one letter.

• billybogota likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#4 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

5.11 taclites. No extra bulk. I use them for patrol and SWAT.

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

PIG Alphas here. No plans to even try others

#6 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

PIG Alphas without regret, tried them first and haven't tried any others.
  • Psybain likes this

89BccLb.png

#7 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:40 AM

I've been trying the Magpul Technical gloves and I'm not impressed. My biggest gripe is they made it so the seam runs right up the sides of your fingers. I use them more for just doing stuff outdoors now. I tried them for shooting, but preferred being bare handed. I probably need to try better gloves.

Edited by Spartan24, 20 September 2016 - 08:41 AM.

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

I use the Oakley SI Assault gloves but only because I got them at a ridiculous savings.  I think I paid something like $40.00 for two pair, when normally they are $80.00/ea.

They are comfortable and in my opinion look better than any other gloves but I don't think I'd spend full price for them.  I would, barring another great sale, buy the SKD Alpha gloves next time around.

On one pair I cut out the trigger finger at the second knuckle though (which was blasphemy to many who knew the original cost) because I didn't feel I had the tactile trigger feel I wanted.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#9 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:03 AM

For the old-school guy in me, I still keep a couple pairs of the GI summer flyers gloves around -- an oldie, but a goodie.

I don't know how you do it. I felt like I was wearing oven mits when I put those on...

Anyway, I'll jump on the SKD bandwagon. I have Mechanix, Hatch SOG (issued gear from years ago), Hatch elite winter something (not pictured) and the PIG Alpha gloves. I have also used the flight gloves (yuck) and some early version of Oakley lightweight tactical gloves. The Alphas are my favorite; they're just expensive. You can get 3 sets of Mechanix gloves for the price of 1 pair of Alphas. Funny thing is I found uses for all them and none of them are really used for shooting... They all fit well enough and are comfortable enough I can shoot accurately with them, but I still prefer bare skin. 

The Mechanix were great for patrol and S&R where there was a very real possibility of getting blood/vomit/etc on them. $15 is a lot easier to swallow for replacement than $45. Okay at everything, but great at nothing.

The Hatch SOG are the most durable and stay in my glove box for emergencies. Only glove I've actually taken to war and, other than some stains, they're still in great shape. They aren't super comfortable, but they have stood up to everything, including washing to get the funk out.

The Hatch cold weather ones are my go to gloves in the winter for daily wear. They're warm and comfortable, but thin enough I can still comfortably get my finger in the trigger and shoot.

The PIG Alphas are extremely comfortable and seem durable. I wear them when I want gloves for shooting (which isn't often). Because of the price and how many other options I have, I'm probably easier on them than necessary, but I really haven't used them all that hard. 

IMG_20160921_0019483.jpg

• billybogota likes this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#10 billybogota

billybogota

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

I don't know how you do it. I felt like I was wearing oven mits when I put those on...

You mean the summer weight ones or the mid-weights?  The ones I have are the summers -- thought I'll agree that they need a good break-in/knockaround period before they feel right.

G8wcIOp.jpg

1LtuBMc.png?2

#11 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:00 AM

I've got about 10 sets of flight gloves from when I was a crew chief and some REALLY broke in one's, and I think there's not enough dexterity for shooting really. What's the point in shooting gloves anyway? If I'm just shooting, I'll shoot without gloves until my hands bleed. I only wear gloves for SWAT and patrol for things like glass, fences, nasty shit I may come in contact with, and grip in a physical fight.
  • billybogota and MightyP like this

#12 billybogota

billybogota

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

I've got about 10 sets of flight gloves from when I was a crew chief and some REALLY broke in one's, and I think there's not enough dexterity for shooting really. What's the point in shooting gloves anyway? If I'm just shooting, I'll shoot without gloves until my hands bleed. I only wear gloves for SWAT and patrol for things like glass, fences, nasty shit I may come in contact with, and grip in a physical fight.

While I haven't carried a firearm in a professional capacity since a few years ago, our mantra back then was that if you're going to mostly be wearing gloves in the course of whatever your daily duties may be, then you should be shooting/training with said gloves on.  HOWEVER, that doesn't mean if you wear gloves on the job and not on the range/in training events, that you'll shoot less effectively or end up with fumblefingers.  Also, lots of professions differ in their regulations for gloves/no gloves.  One unit I worked in said every time you're on the range or conducting just about any kind of tactical training, gloves will be worn.  Another unit I worked at left that choice up to the individual, barring situations where gloves were required due to safety regulations.  Just my .02 -- I don't do any long range stuff where I'm tweaking turrets or dials, so I haven't run into any roadblocks with wearing gloves while shooting.  YMMV.

1LtuBMc.png?2

#13 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

I wear gloves for table 2 qual because If I dont, I always end up bleeding somehow before the end of the day... usually happens in the middle of the 25m portion.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users