6 replies to this topic

#1 Markus White

Markus White

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

Haven't flown in quite a while, so what do you leave out of your IFAK when traveling (air)?  Bandage scissors?  Decomp needle?  The x-ray-able gauze?  Anyone have any issues with carry-on IFAK's?  How about meds?  Looking for input/hindsight.

#2 charliefox

charliefox

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

Everything should be able to fly, though you might have some questions to answer as to why you're carrying a 14g needle. I carry a large set of trauma shears in my bag and they've never been questioned. As for meds, I'd be careful about anything that's not labeled or in a proper container - especially prescription or controlled medications. Got stopped once in Seattle for my "baggie" of loose medicine (a small ziplock with a bunch of OTC stuff in it). Now I keep meds in their original container.

#3 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

I haven't had any issues with flying. Standard trauma shears are allowed per TSA, as long as the blade is shorter than 4 inches and it has a blunt tip. I also carry a tourniquet, combat gauze, and Israeli too. I've never tried taking a needle thru. I do keep meds in their original containers.

But God forbid I carry my water on a plane....

• jvandivere likes this

#4 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

An OLAES and a TQ of some sort are the bare minimum I'd want as far as medical. The OLAES is nice because it comes with so much extra shit and saves space. Nothing there that TSA would gripe about.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#5 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

If you keep med supplies in an Altoids tin, will TSA goons open it?

I keep dermabond, ondansetron, meclizine, diphenhydramine, cetirizine, ranitidine, loperamide, APAP, ASA, and 800mg ibuprofen tabs along with some swabs, benzocaine, butterfly strips, etc.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 28 September 2016 - 06:30 PM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#6 charliefox

charliefox

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

I've never had either of my tins been given a second look by TSA. I have had it opened and inspected while reboarding our cruise ship in Mexico (a good way to carry drugs, I'm told).

#7 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:59 AM

The ONLY time I was harassed about a medical kit was when I was the evil doer who tried to bring a blow out kit into Disney. I've never had a problem flying with shears or a kit.

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users