15 replies to this topic

#1 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

I've wanted something smaller than a hard side gun case or rifle bag for my SBR, and I like the discreet path that doesn't scream "I'm concealing a rifle". Even the discreet bags are obvious to most gun enthusiasts. I've seen a lot of people using tennis racket cases, but why would I carry a racket around in public?

I'm SWAT and have to have my rifle with me wherever i go in case of a call out. I've just been tossing it in the trunk or under the back seat in my truck, and I hate it. I think I've got my solution.

Old padded laptop bag. It's not perfect because I do have to break the rifle down, and throw a tee between parts to protect them. On the other hand, I can unzip the bag, put the gun together, and fire in 8 seconds. Probably could improve that time with practice. I keep it chambered and mag inserted.

20160930_143714_zpsm6a8xxtr.jpg

20160930_143327_zpsvz2wh67d.jpg

20160930_144927_zpsfppoigfe.jpg

#2 Shifty

Shifty

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

What about an "upholster" sleeve of kydex sewn in to separate pieces?

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

The Eberlestock secret weapon works fairly well. I can drop my tavor right into it with no issues they also make a smaller version where you would have to keep it disassembled but its quite discreet although it is just slightly longer than normal to accommodate the 26" OAL

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

What about a targus bag (pack or satchel) made for a 17" laptop? I used to have one and it was very roomy, not sure if it's sbr roomy but might be worth looking into...

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

The targus laptop case appears to be what PSDRyan has there in the pictures.

#6 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:43 PM

The Eberlestock secret weapon works fairly well. I can drop my tavor right into it with no issues they also make a smaller version where you would have to keep it disassembled but its quite discreet although it is just slightly longer than normal to accommodate the 26" OAL

$300, and it's clearly an SBR bag to most gun people

#7 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

Yeah most of the time I just carry my tavor in a Wilson tennis racket case from walmart.  Not one of the Tennis racket like rifle cases but a legit Wilson case.

#8 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:30 AM

The average "large" gym bag looks like a gym bag. Says Adidas, Nike, Reebok, whatever on it and costs $30-$50.

And will hold most SBRs just fine.

#9 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

If you can make a gym bag work that would be the way to go. The average thief sees that and says "sweaty clothes." Whereas a laptop case may be just as much of a target for theft as the rifle..

#10 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:08 AM

You said it's an SBR, but what's the overall length? And I'm assuming a folding buttstock is not an option?

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#11 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

The targus laptop case appears to be what PSDRyan has there in the pictures.

Yes. I was suggesting a different model (there are hundreds) and one for a 17" laptop may afford more room. 

Gym bag is also another good option ... 

#12 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

This one is a 17" model. My SBR I'd an 11.5 with an added inch or so of brake

#13 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

So now people can just decided to steal what they think is a laptop. Try a Frozen backpack, lol.

But seriously, is that a department-issued rifle?

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#14 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

Years ago on a whole different topic I read that some professional photographers were using diaper bags for the camera equipment... Camera bag= expensive goodies.... diaper bag = YUCK!!

Of course a thoughtful crook may wonder at a diaper bag if there's no car seat, but not a bad idea.  Some are even nicely padded.

You could even look like a bona-fide hipster daddy

http://www.toysrus.c...211001-49624966

#15 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

The purpose wasn't really to avoid theft... If I'm not holding it, it's well secured. More for carrying it around. I didn't NEED discreet. But liked the idea.

Not a department issued rifle. We got rid of all our issued rifles and made everyone carry personal rifles because somehow sights would always get messed with, lights would always have missing batteries, and they weren't well maintained. SWAT still has issued rifles which are full auto 11.5", but they're heavy the way they're equipped and mine blew up anyway. We're getting some brand new noveske rifles with 13" barrels soon to replace our old ones.
  • ArkansasFan likes this

#16 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

It's a sweet looking rifle.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users