4 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

So, I've got this job now where my off time varies daily. As such, I want to put together an adventure bag, something that I can just head out for a day hike or other outdoor outing, without having to stop at home. Something that has a change of clothes, some snacks, outdoor gear. Any suggestions as to what I should keep in it? I do want to keep it light weight too. I like having gear, but I hate packing it!

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#2 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

Knife
Whistle
Mirror
Poncho
Light cordage
Water bottle
Flashlight
Lighter/matches
  • sliestfish likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#3 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

Adding to what Mike said... Shoes, if you don't always wear hiking boots. Bug spray and sunscreen. Non-melty snacks. Small first aid kit. Camera?

A lot will depend on where you live. In MN, I had to plan for potentially sub-zero temps. Or just cold, even in summer. In TX, not so much.

Also you can research Get Home Bags and Search and Rescue Go Bags. Both are basically designed for 1-3 days on foot, without support.

I try to keep my stuff modular, so I have everything, but only carry what I need. Let us know what you end up with!

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

I'd go with:

*Knife
*IFAK
*Survival kit (to include life straw and fire starter, maybe a small tarp)
*Packable rain suit (cold is one thing, cold and wet is another)
*Packable boots (I like Lems mountain boot)
*Hydration bladder
*Survival snacks (like the vacuum sealed biscuits)
*Map and compass (if you're generally always in the same area anyway)
*Socks (wool of course, I like Darn Tough)
*Paracord

That's in addition to whatever you EDC, and you may carry some already. I think that'd get you through your average wrong turn/stuck overnight scenario.

#5 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Depending on how aggressive your adventures are, and how good cell coverage you may want to add in a SPOT or similar device. Not knowing what you're planning it's tough to say.

Also extra batteries for any device you have that needs batteries to function, or a way to charge them (in the case of USB devices).

I also tend to carry a weather radio so I can get alerts for my area that aren't based on a cellphone. I picked up one the size of a small radio for 10 dollars. A smart carry, especially if you aren't familiar with visually calling the weather.

• bigfoot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users