• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CanuckTrucker

CanuckTrucker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:44 PM

I have three situations I worry about. However, at 80-100K pounds rolling down the road I'm not exactly agile or a speed demon.

The first, a random shooter firing into my cab. There has been a few random trucker shootings lately in the news. I have been a little more cognizant of people driving next to my door maintaining my speed, to the point I'll speed up or slow down. I would like to think I'm alert enough that if there was a driver next to me, and I saw the window start to roll down, I'd hammer on the brakes or perform some type of evasive manouvers.

Second is the classic box manouver. One vehicle in front, one beside me, they coordinate slowing down, forcing me to slow down with them. Again, speed is key for me to be manouverable, losing speed is not good.

Third, it's dark and I see blue and red lights in the rear view. Stop and pull over and surprise its not law enforcement. I have been told in that situation it is OK to keep driving and call 911 to ask if there is indeed a real traffic stop attempt in progress. 

Even in posts on here I've read it's ok to call in to local LEO and be on the phone while they monitor the situation. Thats fine but I move around so much it would be hard to know the local LEO phone number at all times while scrambling to assess the situation.

Biggest thing I can come up with is speed equals mobility and manouverability 

• ClaudeMep and sliestfish like this

#2 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

I know here in the states most state highway patrols have a quick dial number. For instance here in Florida its *FHP (347). I would just compile a quick reference list and keep it readily available in your cab. Something like an index card with states and jurisdictions you frequent or a spreadsheet so it can be saved and updated. If you are running a radio you might also call the agencies in the areas you frequent and find out if there are monitoring frequencies and CB channels aside from the normal emergency frequencies and channels that are public knowledge and incorporate them into the QR list just in case cell service is not available.  

If you are reasonably worried about shots while driving you could look into some soft armor solutions. AR500 or Spartan Armor are reasonably priced and they offer products like backpack armor that comes in a decently sized square that could be affixed to the lower part of the inner door with duct tape (assuming you are primarily worried about people shooting up at you from lower vehicles). As a standard most soft armor will not stop rifle rounds. 

Also I am not familiar with Canadian rules concerning armor ownership or if they exist so that is something else too confirm prior to going through anything armor. Border crossings could be an issue ,CBP might find it odd or suspicious if they have a look in your cab and see soft armor jerry rigged to your door. 

ZCxCkIx.png

#3 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

You can cross border with armour, but I would be prepared to crush CBSA with paperwork and reasons as to why. I have a friend who travels to california pretty regularly for training.

Owning armour isn’t difficult in Canada. I don’t think you can purchase it without a PAL but I can look that up.

#4 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

You've got an 80,000 pound weapon wherever you go.

A good driving school, such as Tony Scotti's school, is great for teaching you how to recongnize threats on the road and how to use your vehicle to counter them. Most of it is geared towards executive protection, but it transfers to normal conditions.

Edited by Quietmike, 05 March 2018 - 11:57 AM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#5 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:48 AM

I drove truck. Hitting a car would barely put a ripple in my coffee. It’s simple physics. However, if I wanted to stop a truck, knowing what I know now, I’m not gonna barricade one nor shoot at the driver, I’d put 9mm holes in your radiator.

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users