#41 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

great lookins shooters i just cant bring myself to paint mine

I'm with you bro.

I agree, I've been hesitant about painting mine too, but reading this thread has me feeling motivated!

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#42 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Is there a best place to look for instruction on this? Thanks
Posted Image

#43 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,599 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

Maybe I'll paint my next AK when I finish accessorizing it.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#44 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

Is there a best place to look for instruction on this? Thanks

Scot, there are some good videos on YouTube... I'll link to a couple that I liked below:
I did a test by painting my sons bike (actually my daughters bike... which required a repaint to make it more... boy friendly)
I used a type of mesh to give it a snake pattern that turned out pretty good. If I were to do it again I would stick with just the 2 colors (tan and brown).

Cory and Erika

Really good multi-cam pattern

Snake skin pattern similar to what I tried on my sons bike

• Scot McK likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#45 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Thanks a lot! I see some DIY in the future. AK may get it first!
Posted Image

#46 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Just got an email from a buddy who's out of the country (who actually told me about ITS). He has painted several and offered to help when he gets back in the US. Time to figure out what I'm gonna do.
Posted Image

#47 Millertime1103

Millertime1103

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

I buddy of mine was talking about a place up in CO that does this sort of thing, just can't remember the name. I have a sneaky suspicion mine would come out looking like a 2 year-old's Hello Kitty coloring book :kick:
  • Scot McK likes this
-- Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Posted Image

#48 hookercrew

hookercrew

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts
  • Locationcentral texas

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

what is the best paint to use that will be more resilient to solvents and bore cleaners compared to regular ole' rattle can krylon or rustoleum? I tried both brands of rattle can, let them dry a couple days and even tried baking them and they both still smeared and came off using paint thinner and bore solvents. I was thinking of using the dura-coat bake on paint. anybody used this type of paint?

#49 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,599 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

what is the best paint to use that will be more resilient to solvents and bore cleaners compared to regular ole' rattle can krylon or rustoleum? I tried both brands of rattle can, let them dry a couple days and even tried baking them and they both still smeared and came off using paint thinner and bore solvents. I was thinking of using the dura-coat bake on paint. anybody used this type of paint?

I think duracoat is widely accepted to be the best DIY paint for rifles. I tried to find some locally to no availability. Anyone know the best place to pick some up?

Edited by mangeface, 10 November 2013 - 10:39 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#50 hookercrew

hookercrew

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts
  • Locationcentral texas

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

I think duracoat is widely accepted to be the best DIY paint for rifles. I tried to find some locally to no availability. Anyone know the best place to pick some up?

try www.brownells.com or www.midwayusa.com they have a big selection of different types of finishes and paints, with many colors to choose from, but I like to see the color in hand, not a pic of it on a computer screen.

#51 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Around here, there are a lot of folks who are also timid about hitting the rattle can to their precious deathinator 3000. I think I'm going to put together a rifle painting party. Maybe hang some wire from the tree in my back yard. Fill a cooler with some suds. Grill some animals and invite everybody to bring a gun and a few cans of krylon.

Ooh business idea just popped in my head as I was typing this. I buy the paint/ shit for stencils/ burgers and stuff/ beer and charge just enough to cover it all. If it all works out, I can make it so that I eat for free, get drunk for free and have enough paint left over to do my next project. Damn, thanks guys!

• Jersey0311 likes this

#52 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

Around here, there are a lot of folks who are also timid about hitting the rattle can to their precious deathinator 3000. I think I'm going to put together a rifle painting party. Maybe hang some wire from the tree in my back yard. Fill a cooler with some suds. Grill some animals and invite everybody to bring a gun and a few cans of krylon.

Ooh business idea just popped in my head as I was typing this. I buy the paint/ shit for stencils/ burgers and stuff/ beer and charge just enough to cover it all. If it all works out, I can make it so that I eat for free, get drunk for free and have enough paint left over to do my next project. Damn, thanks guys!

Where are you in PA? I'd be down for this. I just have to figure out what gun to paint.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#53 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Central PA. Sunbury area.

#54 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

Shotguns count?

camoshotty2.jpg

I may do my AR soon, but nothing like my 870. 

• Psybain, LongHaul, Davis and 1 other like this

#55 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

Shotguns count?

I may do my AR soon, but nothing like my 870. 

That's an awesome paint job! I've been planning on painting my hunting rifle and that pattern would be perfect. Do you mind sharing your method? Thanks, and awesome work.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#56 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

I stripped the shotgun down to individual parts. It's my dove gun, so I left the butt pad, trigger assy, bolt, and rails (wear part) alone.

Lightly sanded everything to get the paint to adhere better, then laid down a light get primer coat.

Then I sprayed a tan krylon fusion base coat. Let that dry for about 20 min.

Took a cheap corn husk broom and cut off a chunk, fanned it out, and duct taped it in place. I layed my fan lightly on the parts, sprayed a quick swipe of flat brown, moved the fan, and did it again. Repeat until satisfied, but don't overdo it, you still have 2 colors to go. Make a new fan if it gets clogged up or when changing colors. Let brown dry, then do the same with olive, but less coverage, and then black if you want it, but barely any. Let it cure and reassemble.

Edited by PSDRyan, 01 November 2014 - 03:09 PM.

• LongHaul likes this

#57 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

Very nicely done, interesting process... if you ever do it again you should consider documenting the process and starting a thread dedicated to it. Picture heavy, of course.

• Davis likes this

89BccLb.png

#58 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

Next time I get bored and have anything not huge I want camo, I will do a write up. It's really so easy even I can do it :D

#59 MR.RED

MR.RED

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

My current setup. Finished adding the light just before a Low light rifle tactics Coarse.

I want to paint it next. Just need to work up the motivation.

IMAG0714.jpg

Edited by MR.RED, 03 November 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#60 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

I keep going back and forth on weither to go with a simple camo painting like Tremis has on his or doing a Kryptex Typhoon dip on the upper/lower recievers and the handguard and calling it done.

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users